The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

It is hard to say. Goalies are an unusual bunch. I know, I've played the position. You have to be to consciously want to stand in front of 90+ mph slap shots. A lot of their game is mental. Barrasso did follow Maurice to the KHL. Maybe he's looking to come back? It will be interesting who Ronnie has tabbed as possible canidates for the coaching staff.

I still like Mark Morris of the Manchester Monachs. He has had a very successful career as their head coach and has helped develop many of the players on the LA Kings, one being current Hurricane player Loktionov.

Thanks for the insight hopper. It always amazes me that so many of you out there can add nuggets from actual experience, and I truly respect those thoughts!!

I can't agree with the anti-Roddie sentiment.

By all indications, he had very little impact with the current (exiting) coaching staff.  I am not sure that Kirk had a place for him in his thoughts/strategies, thus up in the booth he went.  Speculation, of course.

What this team lacks most is physicality, and at least the appearance of desire/will to win.  Rod is the embodiment of this.  I can't see how his involvement will be a negative.

This was a needed move with where the team is at right now. Truthfully, I was rooting for Muller. I think he cared a lot, and I admired his will to do things the right way, but was unable to get results. Good to see RF come out swinging, I think he's going to be his own man. I used to think Torts might be a good choice for a coach, but that was before I saw him in Vancouver. He's got the fire sure, but he can't get results either. I'm gonna wait the coaching decision out and see what happens.

Also, regardless of how you feel about Cam Ward and his play/injuries over the past couple of seasons, did it rub anyone else the wrong way that he wasn't even in the first round of the TSN play of the year bracket?

Ok, I'm totally calling complete BS on this.  First of all, did Wizard have to come back from having his knee destroyed in the boards like Rod did in 2008?  Didn't think so.  Second, was Wizard relegated to the 4th line time and time again and often under-utilizied by a recycled head coach like Rod was?  Didn't think so.  Third, Wizard is a winger...they get abused MUCH less than centers.

And care to quote the Malhotra receiving credit by others?  Cause I recall quite a few post-game interviews with Manny where he actually credited ROD with working him on faceoff drills.

Nice try.

AWAC you've got too much elctro magnetic interference pulsing through your head phones to the extent it is messing with your brain housing group.  5 years = no playoffs and you're trying to sell Roddie on being a guy who has made a coaching difference? You just don't want to win bad enough. Roddie is a decent PR front man for the Canes at this point.  Thats where it ends.  

I can't agree with the anti-Roddie sentiment.

By all indications, he had very little impact with the current (exiting) coaching staff.  I am not sure that Kirk had a place for him in his thoughts/strategies, thus up in the booth he went.  Speculation, of course.

What this team lacks most is physicality, and at least the appearance of desire/will to win.  Rod is the embodiment of this.  I can't see how his involvement will be a negative.

Hag65.  I don't disagree with your statement its just where do you fit this guy in?  If the (new) head coach says he doesn't have room for him on his staff then what?  Roddie always seems to be in a limbo land status with what his specific job and duties are.

Feels good to know Francis is in charge, I think he knows who he wants already and probably has it lined up, I wonder if he'll announce new head coach today.   Trotz is definitely talked of highly as the top candidate for any team.  Just please bring a proven winner with an NHL winning percentage above .500 and some playoff experience.

Well Rem, you got what you wanted.  If it works, we'll all pat you on the back.  If not, retire to your island and be quiet.

Not very nice g105.  :tsktsk: . Did not know you spoke for the board in wanting me to be quiet. Looked up some of your past quotes, didn't really note you being nasty before.

To be clear, when I wrote that it was what I predicted, not what I wanted. At this point I do think it is the move that had to be made.

Thats the thing about predictions. People are happy to resurrect threads to pound you when you're wrong, and no one wants to hear it when you're right. I guess that goes with it.

Edited by remkin

im going to be honest , i did not see this coming , i thought the system muller used is great in theory but will not work great in practice if not applied pressure is put in .  and you could see in some games where the canes dominated games but was to conservative to keep it going for a full 60 mins .  for this team you could say muller was not accomplishing his goals he set out for the team to be consistent  in winning , but i never thought it would  come to this so soon so early . 3 years i guess it takes to either make something happen or lose your job .  good luck to muller , not sure what kind of guy he was behind closed doors but you do get the sense that his coaching did not follow through with the team when they took the ice in some games and played lethargic .  

Trotz, Lavi, Torts.

All have what it takes to win!!  Agree, each of them would mark progress... we need a proven Head Coach at the NHL level right now.

Nice move Ronnie... and props to Remkin on your off-season predictions!!  :thumbsup: 

I have another comment.  I am looking forward to a systemic change in that even though Kirk improved the defense, oftentimes the on-ice product was boring.  I am a big fan of being entertained in addition to winning.  Watching us play positional trap hockey with little to no hitting is not entertaining to me.  Even when we played great, we would win 2-1 and this is not a margin for error that is successful in the long run. 

Say what you want about Lav on the negative side, it was the most entertaining hockey we ever played in Raleigh, and we won a cup too.  I just want us to have an identity that is worth watching, whatever that identity would be.  That is what I am looking for.  I want our team to be feared again in some way, and to enjoy it.  There are plenty of defense first philosophies that are entertaining to watch, this just wasn't one of them.  Watch Boston.  They are all D-first but who wouldn't love to watch that team pummel the opponent doing it.

Lots of ways a new coach can go, but that is one of the things I am looking forward to.

Thats the thing about predictions. People are happy to resurrect threads to pound you when you're wrong, and no one wants to hear it when you're right. I guess that goes with it.

No way Remkin!  As I said several times, we need more REMKIN's around here (IMO)... you are someone that is willing to make predictions and not shy away from them.

I really hope Francis opens up in this presser and doesn't deflect every question thrown his way. 

I can understand why he did that in the GM presser, but I'd like to get a little more insight into how he made the decision above and beyond "it was time". 

I really hope Francis opens up in this presser and doesn't deflect every question thrown his way. 

I can understand why he did that in the GM presser, but I'd like to get a little more insight into how he made the decision above and beyond "it was time". 

I don't think he's got much choice, and do expect the new coach to be named today. I don't think Muller's firing would have happened  if Ronnie didn't also have his replacement in place. 

I really don't expect a new coach to be named today. He's only been in office, what a week?

He hasn't had time to interview possible canidates, much less put a list together. I expect something though before the Draft.

Also, regardless of how you feel about Cam Ward and his play/injuries over the past couple of seasons, did it rub anyone else the wrong way that he wasn't even in the first round of the TSN play of the year bracket?

I'm trying to figure out what a goalie could do to make a better save than Ward's and I can't think of anything.  I mean, batting the puck out of mid air with his stick while in mid air as he's diving across the net?  What kind of save tops that?

99.9 stream has David Glenn show on....will they interrupt this show for the presser?

edit: never mind found the video link

Edited by TheFaulker

I'm glad this change was made.  I certainly had my issues with the coaching staff.

We need to see a more physical brand of hockey.  As coastal said, less stick checks and more body checks is a start.  Just get that turned around and EStaal and Semin's stick infractions under control would do wonders.

I've also thought in the POY TSN bracket that our goalies made like 3-4 highlight reel saves this year and Gerbe's the only one who made it.

Again must be tough to drill down to what 12 plays? I can think of a few plays that had 0 chance of making it out of the first round and weren't impressive. Such as the ones where the guys split the D, is that a highlight or just a bad D?

New Drinking game - Rule: Drink when Ronnie says "Well you look at a lot of different things" or some variation of that.

New Drinking game - Rule: Drink when Ronnie says "Well you look at a lot of different things" or some variation of that.

...or "at the end of the day" LOL...

Not a whole lot of news out of this presser but let's cut Ron a break here...I'm sure the past week has been trying and he certainly has a lot on his plate leading up to draft day. I was encouraged to hear him say that changing coaches doesn't let the players off the hook....

well some potential coach candidates (some based on a nhl article)

Dineen

Willie Desjardins- Dallas Stars' affiliate head coach- 2013 AHL coach of the year

Mark Reeds- Ottawa assistant, coached in the OHL

John Hynes- Pittsburgh's affiliate head coach- 2011 AHL coach of the year.  Prior to this season he has 3 40 wins seasons.  Won 100 games in his 152 game coached.

Jeff Blashill- Detriots affiliate head coach- 2014 AHL coach of the year.  Highly regarded by Detriot

John Stevens- Kings assistant. Former Flyers coach

Mark Seidel believes it will be the Plymouth Whalers HC Vellucci.

Our coaching positions are vacant. The speculation has already begun. 

Luke DeCock @LukeDeCock 2h

Would not shock me if Rangers asst Ulf Samuelsson is No. 1 on Ron Francis' list, although like Muller he lacks NHL head-coaching experience.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 12m

Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

AWAC you've got too much elctro magnetic interference pulsing through your head phones to the extent it is messing with your brain housing group.  5 years = no playoffs and you're trying to sell Roddie on being a guy who has made a coaching difference? You just don't want to win bad enough. Roddie is a decent PR front man for the Canes at this point.  Thats where it ends. 

I'm not selling Rod for coaching at all...what I said was that he wasn't any part of the problem as to why this team has gone splat.  You're advocating dumping him with the rest of the failures on the coaching staff...when, in fact, the things that he is actually coaching have had decent success.