The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

Olczyk correct me if I'm wrong hasn't coached in any capacity in years, soooooo no?

I chuckled when I read that. But how about Ulf? I hadn't heard that before.

AWAC, I wasnt advocating dumping him.  I was pointing out that he wasn't dumped because he never was/is really a coach when you see our entire coaching staff get fired or moved (Stefan) and he doesn't even get nicked.  For me it simply validates Roddie has no specific or meaningful function (just like Wesley) on the Hurricanes.  They are both tax write offs for Karmanos while they probably knock out about $200k a year for being one of the faces of the Hurricanes.  Ultimately good work if you can get it.

Olczyk is an idiot. He thinks pronouncing thirty three as "tirty tree" is hilarious.

Against Anaheim it was a Wednesday game and he kept calling Hampus Lindholm "Humpus Lindholm" because it is hump day. He couldn't stop laughing. The guy is a clown.

He also strikes me as a smiley-glad-hand who would always be positive and the ultimate "yes" man.

No way this goofball should be coach......of anything.......ever.

Edited by Kyrule

Well Ulf would definately bring a physical edge to a team that hasn't been physical in years.  Even though Kirk didn't work out I would still be willing to give a non-head NHL coach a shot.  Look at Craig Berube and what he did in Philly this year after being a Philly assistant for a number of years.  If the Canes could have entertained and won like Philly did this past season and just lost in the first round like they did lets face it we'd be pretty excited talking about next season thats for sure.

Olczyk couldnt coach a party in a liquor store.

My order:

Trotz

Torts

Lavi

We need a proven NHL coach with a PROVEN track record.  Dineen is not that.  

Tampa did ok this season without a proven NHL coach. Lavi has been proven to have a short shelf life. Torts has been proven to be nuts. Trotz seems to have had long term middle of the road success in an untraditional hockey market. He would be the only one of the three that should be considered. Dan Bylsma didn't have experience as a NHL head coach. There have to be options rather than a coach that has recently been fired elsewhere.

If Ulf or Olczyk become the HC, I will not attend another game until they are gone...frankly, I'd rather have Torts over either of them (and I REALLY don't want Torts).

Tampa did ok this season without a proven NHL coach. Lavi has been proven to have a short shelf life. Torts has been proven to be nuts. Trotz seems to have had long term middle of the road success in an untraditional hockey market. He would be the only one of the three that should be considered. Dan Bylsma didn't have experience as a NHL head coach. There have to be options rather than a coach that has recently been fired elsewhere.

How did Muller work out?  He had no HC experience before the Canes.  How did he do?  Are you willing to go down this path again?  The path of uncertainty.

If Ulf or Olczyk become the HC, I will not attend another game until they are gone...frankly, I'd rather have Torts over either of them (and I REALLY don't want Torts).

I have to admit to total ignorance to this Ulf Samuelsson, AWACS. Please give me the 411?

How did Muller work out?  He had no HC experience before the Canes.  How did he do?  Are you willing to go down this path again?  The path of uncertainty.

Muller only had a small number of games as an AHL coach. I am not saying get an inexperienced coach, but they can look places other than the NHL unemployment line. Torts and Lavi have both worn out their welcome every place they have been. Watching Torts go mental might be entertaining for awhile, but I really don't see Skinner, Semin, E Staal buying into going down to block shots, and I don't think Lavy left on very good terms.

There are rumors that Bylsma is not safe in Pittsburgh if they don't have a long run in the playoffs.

I would not want Torts and with his remaining contract the Canucks will have to pay, he would probably sit and take home their money before giving it up to coach right away.

I've said it before, but one of my choices would be Mark Morris:

8 seasons with the Monachs

He's paid his dues in the AHL and has been a proven winner. He has helped produce 13 LA Kings, two being former Hurricanes Kevin Westgarth and current Hurricanes Andrei Loktionov. One of the best goalies in the NHL in Jonathan Quick.

I have to admit to total ignorance to this Ulf Samuelsson, AWACS. Please give me the 411?

What would you say if we hired Matt Cooke or Tie Domi as our HC?

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulf_Samuelsson

Read the section about Cam Neeley...Ulf ended his career...

Don Cherry called him one of the dirtiest players he had ever seen...of course, that was before Cooke came along and vied for the Don's affections.

Edited by AWACSooner

All paths are uncertain.  If there was a coach that was a sure thing, he would be coaching already.

Francis said he thought Rod had more to offer. I would expect an expanded or different role for him.

Francis said he thought Rod had more to offer. I would expect an expanded or different role for him.

He also said if Rod says he's interested in the top job he will be considered. I'd love to see Eric taking orders from Roddy again, but I'll be really surprised if it happens. If Rod wants to coach, I think that road goes thru Plymouth MI, which now has a head coaching job open.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Tripp did a radio interview today and said he thinks Rod will be an assistant on the bench next season.

Curious wording in part of the pressor that I thought I'd ask for thoughts on. Ron, on several occasions mentions "we're looking at everything". That to me sounds strange, as he's just dismissed his coaches. That being the case, just who are "we"? I guess that he's likely including JR, but who else makes up this evaluation team?

I'm thinking Dineen has to be on the short list but if Bylsma became available how do you not make a pitch for him.

but if Bylsma became available how do you not make a pitch for him.

Does make it seem worth waiting to see how that plays out. I wonder how long it would take to know if Pittsburgh drops to NYR?

But other teams are in the head coach chase too.... :letssee:

Well gotta be mainly him and Vellucci, but probably pick JR's brain too. 

Francis did say on 99.9 that the players exit interviews were not all smiles and that to some players a clear message was sent. I still just don't see any major forwards being moved. 

I'm sure we will see some changes in the bottom 6 though. 

Francis has to get ready for the draft, deal w/ FA, possibly moving Ward, oh, and hire a coach, so he'll be pretty busy.

Always a downer to see a good person fired, but this had to happen. Players get coaches fired all the time as the easier change for owners/management to make. It's also clear Muller wasn't able to help himself, and is mainly responsible for his own exit in this case.

Good first move by Francis. Now let's see what he delivers. I hope it is NOT an unproven coach, but instead someone with experience, even if only a couple of years behind the bench.

Trotz is superior to anyone out there. If that happens the roster will need turnover.