The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

im going to be honest , i did not see this coming , i thought the system muller used is great in theory but will not work great in practice if not applied pressure is put in .  and you could see in some games where the canes dominated games but was to conservative to keep it going for a full 60 mins .  for this team you could say muller was not accomplishing his goals he set out for the team to be consistent  in winning , but i never thought it would  come to this so soon so early . 3 years i guess it takes to either make something happen or lose your job .  good luck to muller , not sure what kind of guy he was behind closed doors but you do get the sense that his coaching did not follow through with the team when they took the ice in some games and played lethargic .  

Interesting you did not see it coming, 3 losing seasons is more than almost any other organization will put up with.  Honestly I thought the past 3 years have been some of the most boring hockey I've watched since the Canes moved here.  Especially after seeing the playoffs the last couple of weeks and being reminded what  high speed, hard hitting, skilled passing teams look like.    We have lacked all of that and its been extremely frustrating to watch for me.  I believe we have the players to do that with(plus a couple tweaks) they just couldn't do it under muller.

I'm surprised that Guy Boucher has not been mentioned. And I think the Griffins coach would be great if he is available.

Edited by winger52

As for the Rod Brindamour head coach talk, I don't think Francis would be stupid enough to make that move.  He knows we cannot risk a season giving a good friend a try behind the bench.  We need NHL proven coach.  Ronnie has been here since the beginning and I'm sure he's as upset as anyone to see the Canes failing and losing fans.  He knows he's gotta find someone that is gonna get us in the playoffs.

He also said if Rod says he's interested in the top job he will be considered. I'd love to see Eric taking orders from Roddy again, but I'll be really surprised if it happens. If Rod wants to coach, I think that road goes thru Plymouth MI, which now has a head coaching job open.

You also told us yesterday that Muller isn't going anywhere....    :dizzy:

I'm going to go with John Tortorella on this one.  For reasons mentioned in the other thread about guaranteed accountability, helping the blueline, goals against, and Jordan/Lindholm.

I also think his teams are big and fast, just like Francis wants.  We also have a better chance at drafting one of those big forwards with him at the helm.

Ill pass on Tort. There are reasons we are sure of that he is gone from VAN so quickly.

Do we have the team to support Trotz type of game though?  I know RF wants a big team but it isnt going to happen over night

He also said if Rod says he's interested in the top job he will be considered. I'd love to see Eric taking orders from Roddy again, but I'll be really surprised if it happens. If Rod wants to coach, I think that road goes thru Plymouth MI, which now has a head coaching job open.

I think Rod, if interested, will be considered. I doubt he is on top of the list. But if Francis is taking a hard look around before making a final decision he would be foolish at this point to rule anyone out. That decision will come just prior to the appointment.

Ill pass on Tort. There are reasons we are sure of that he is gone from VAN so quickly.

Do we have the team to support Trotz type of game though?  I know RF wants a big team but it isnt going to happen over night

He basically tried to make that team a more defensively responsible team.  I think this year's failure in Vancouver was mostly on their GM.  He did nothing to improve the team, then traded Luongo for marginal players.  I was talking to a whole foods employee who just moved from Vancouver, and the feeling their is the team has been overachieving and heavily relying on the Sedins to get by.

I know how he comes off, but I think that could be a good thing for this team.  I'd like for somebody to show a little fiery, and maybe his attitude could rub off on our captains.

And we're all ignoring his PROVEN track record.  He's taken 2 teams to a stanley cup, won one of them, consistently got NY to the playoffs, and was the head coach of the silver medal USA olympic team in 2010.

You also told us yesterday that Muller isn't going anywhere....    :dizzy:

Your point being… what? Oh, right: "Nanner, nanner."

And you say it's me who is disrespectful. 

Whatever Greg 'N Ral. Have a great off-season. I know many here who are relishing the break from you.

I'm going to go with John Tortorella on this one.  For reasons mentioned in the other thread about guaranteed accountability, helping the blueline, goals against, and Jordan/Lindholm.

I also think his teams are big and fast, just like Francis wants.  We also have a better chance at drafting one of those big forwards with him at the helm.

This would be great news!  If we could get him and lose 1-2 overpaid players -- the CANES will be in the playoffs!!

Does make it seem worth waiting to see how that plays out. I wonder how long it would take to know if Pittsburgh drops to NYR?

But other teams are in the head coach chase too.... :letssee:

Very true. Bylsma would be a target by many teams. I guess I'm saying if he was available we should make a pitch but not sure Bylsma would field it. Still if you don't ask....now if the Rangers could just knock the Pens from the playoffs we could find out if the Pens would actually let him walk.

Very true. Bylsma would be a target by many teams. I guess I'm saying if he was available we should make a pitch but not sure Bylsma would field it. Still if you don't ask....now if the Rangers could just knock the Pens from the playoffs we could find out if the Pens would actually let him walk.

To be clear, if Bylsma is available, he'd be my preferred choice.

To be clear, if Bylsma is available, he'd be my preferred choice.

I think that would be the feeling of many of us. I can't believe the Pens would let him get away. I think its off season chatter that won't amount to anything. But it does make it interesting... and if available no doubt my preferred choice.

I'm surprised that Guy Boucher has not been mentioned....

Agree. Not a bad choice.

IF SJ lets him go, Todd McLellan would be a very nice upgrade (just saying "if").

My order:

Trotz

Torts

Lavi

We need a proven NHL coach with a PROVEN track record.  Dineen is not that.  

Trotz: Will have his choice of several NHL teams. Not going to happen. 

Torts is a short term solution to a long term problem. Canes can't afford him. 

Laviolette: Uh....no! Karmanos still owns this team. 

Guy Boucher! 

RF states, "I don't really have anybody in mind."

Hopefully this is BS -- fire the Head Coach and don't have anyone in mind before hand.

There are rules in place about tampering. Ulf will be hired in some position, likely assistant. But after the rangers are done playing. 

Edited by TheBigKahuna

Torts is too polarizing a figure. I hope we stay away. I would be on board with Lavi 2.0, because although his intensity burns itself out with his players in about 2 1/2 years, but look what he did here and in Philly in the early going. But its never going to happen. He and PK have some fairly public differences that do not seem capable of being resolved. Of the names mentioned here so far, that leaves Trotz. Nashville was a budget team like us and he got them to the playoffs more often than not. I know his defensive style could be a snooze, but we have not been lighting it up offensively in a while.

Where we missed out was when we fired Maurice. Washington fired Boudreau the same day. Anaheim fired their coach and signed Boudreau in about 3 days. Ah, what could have been.

I'm trying to figure out what a goalie could do to make a better save than Ward's and I can't think of anything.  I mean, batting the puck out of mid air with his stick while in mid air as he's diving across the net?  What kind of save tops that?

Do the same thing while playing for the NBC Rangers, the TSN Canadiens or the Bettman Maple Leafs. Bettman and NBC still don't know there is a hockey team in Raleigh.

I think whoever gets the job has some kind of NHL head coaching pedigree.  I just don't think this organization can take the chance of another coach that has a learning curve in the head coach position.  That leaves out Brindy, but it seems to me that he wanted to spend more time at home than would be required anyway.  Torts is the wrong guy for this market.  Trotz had more success in a similar spot, but does he want to play the brand of hockey that this team wants to play?  I have to think the leader in the clubhouse is Kevin Dineen. 

should the question be plural?  the Canes need a HC and and several assistant coaches.  guess the first move is to hire the head guy and let him establish his team

As a guy that is a fanatic Caniac, but lives out west, I'm telling you guys Trotz is a gamer! You may not see it because it's likely you don't watch much west coast hockey, but he is a great coach and a proven winner that gets his teams to the show. Here's 10 years of Trotz. Looks way better than anyone we've had lately and you figure most of those first round losses are to stacked teams like the Sharks, Anaheim, etc. I assume he got fired because he missed the playoffs the last two years. However, he still finished 6 games above .500 this season and if Nashville played in the East, he would have been in. Trotz would infuse the far superior west coast style of play into the Canes team which has a roster built for the speed and transition game they play in the West. I think he would kill it in Carolina.

NSH 2003–04 82 38 29 11 4 91 3rd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2005–06 82 49 25 - 8 106 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2006–07 82 51 23 - 8 110 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2007–08 82 41 32 - 9 91 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2008–09 82 40 34 - 8 88 5th in Central Missed playoffs NSH 2009–10 82 47 29 - 6 100 3rd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2010–11 82 44 27 - 11 99 2nd in Central Lost in second round NSH 2011-12 82 48 26 - 8 104 2nd in Central Lost in second round NSH 2012-13 48 16 23 - 9 41 5th in Central Missed playoffs NSH 2013-14 82 38 32 - 12 88 6th in Central Missed playoffs Total 1196 557 479 60 100

I'm sold

I'm actually going to side with bluedevil58, I wouldn't mind this team going after torts or lavi. I'd prefer torts because he would definitely hold each and every player accountable. People look at what happened in Vancouver as opposed to what he did in NY and Tampa Bay. I think he'd provide structure to our team, improve the blueline, lower the goals against, and bring out the best of Jordan and even Elias.

I would also be 100% on board with bringing back Lavi.

Or this. Wish I could add more but it'd just be repetitive. Overall it's nice that things are moving and keeping our offseason interesting. Givem hell RF!