The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

The new coach of the Carolina Hurricanes is   Emma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

You got my support on that one!  See what she did to the guys on NYE?

I never like to see people lose their jobs, regardless of the profession.  I still think the dice JR rolled with Muller's coaching experience eventually came back to bite him.

I wish him luck, but he was too "aw shucks" for me, and that didn't seem to work with this group of players.

What really sticks out to me, as an example of his inexperience as head coach was putting the fourth line out with less than a minutes left in the game at home when he had the last line change.  That directly led to 3 losses, or 6 points, whichever you prefer.

I like the attitude Torts brings but he hasn't been successful in his recent gigs. I think this team needs a guy who they think is going to war with them and will stick up for them with passion where needed. But also brings the same passion to practice, the locker room and where ever else.

If Eric can't match that same passion he needs to go.

The problem with Torts is that his intensity seems to be driven by his desire to be the center of attention.  The problem with Lavi isn't that he loses the players, it's that after teams figure out how to stop what he is doing, he has a hard time adjusting.  I think we need a coach that is the very picture of intensity, but driven by an absolute thirst to win.  Since Roy is already gainfully employed, we need to find somebody similar.  That is why I advocate for Scott Walker.  He is the very picture of intensity, yet he has been very successful working with young players.  He is the type of coach that the young players know would "drop the gloves" for them.  How many times did he fly in to stich up for a teammate against somebody that out weighed him by 30 or 40 pounds?  That is the type of coach I think we need.  It would be nice if he had a few more years experience, but we need a coach now. If we must have a guy with a long resume, then I think it should probably be Trotz.

On the topic of Trotz and his style of play. That style worked well for him in the west, but I think he is capable of changing his style to fit the east. It worked for Ruff in Dallas , Babcock in Detroit, and Boudreau in Anaheim. Good coaches have the ability to adapt quickly. If not their job prospects are short term at best.

Edited by winger52

should the question be plural?  the Canes need a HC and and several assistant coaches.  guess the first move is to hire the head guy and let him establish his team

I find it interesting that in hockey the head coach doesn't always get to pick his assistants. But in this case one would think he would be able to (outside of Brindy maybe). I am intrigued by Trotz just because of the wealth of experience and at least some success with marginal teams. He was also let go with pretty good feelings considering, and really had just been there too long. Some of the best coaches in league history really made their mark with good teams. I absolutely don't want us to play a boring style, but if he can open his system up a bit...he could certainly pick his assistants.

Just seems like we really need someone with head coaching experience and success at the NHL level after the Muller experiment.

I'm trying to figure out what a goalie could do to make a better save than Ward's and I can't think of anything.  I mean, batting the puck out of mid air with his stick while in mid air as he's diving across the net?  What kind of save tops that?

Do the same thing while playing for the NBC Rangers, the TSN Canadiens or the Bettman Maple Leafs. Bettman and NBC still don't know there is a hockey team in Raleigh.

Touché. ^_^

Edited by LakeLivin

I love what Scott Walker is doing in Guelph, but I don't see how we can go with another unproven\inexperienced head coach in Raleigh.

But Charlotte, another story all together.  Daniels has been a good soldier down there, but he's been around a long time

I love what Scott Walker is doing in Guelph, but I don't see how we can go with another unproven\inexperienced head coach in Raleigh.

But Charlotte, another story all together.  Daniels has been a good soldier down there, but he's been around a long time

coastal, I respect most everything you post,but I'm not sure what you are suggesting with Daniels? Yes, he has been very faithful in his service in Charlotte, but IMHO, I have not been overly impressed with the results. Now, I might be missing something, but if you are suggesting him as the new head coach here, than I feel we could do better, even amoungst other AHL coaches?

I recall that Ron indicated that he is scheduled to meet with Daniels shortly, and I'm curious if the "house sweeping " will extend down to the AHL level?

Rem, I apologize if I came across as being mean.  But when one pats oneself on the pack, I take it to mean they are happy the way things turned out.  Now that your wishes or predictions have come to fruition, I hope things go better for the team.  If they don't, then please don't keep telling us what is needed.  Neither of us are privy to what that really is.

Not very nice g105.  :tsktsk: . Did not know you spoke for the board in wanting me to be quiet. Looked up some of your past quotes, didn't really note you being nasty before.

To be clear, when I wrote that it was what I predicted, not what I wanted. At this point I do think it is the move that had to be made.

Thats the thing about predictions. People are happy to resurrect threads to pound you when you're wrong, and no one wants to hear it when you're right. I guess that goes with it.

Edited by g105

g105,

You did it again:

I apologize if I came across as being mean......but please don't keep telling us what is needed.

So to please you I should stop posting? Just shut up basically? Because offering opinions and predictions is a big part of what I do.

Also, who is us? You and your cats?

Just to clarify:

A prediction and a wish are not the same thing.

I patted myself on the back because I was recently told I was bad at predicting.

It was all about that really.

Edited by remkin

coastal, I respect most everything you post,but I'm not sure what you are suggesting with Daniels? Yes, he has been very faithful in his service in Charlotte, but IMHO, I have not been overly impressed with the results. Now, I might be missing something, but if you are suggesting him as the new head coach here, than I feel we could do better, even amoungst other AHL coaches?

I recall that Ron indicated that he is scheduled to meet with Daniels shortly, and I'm curious if the "house sweeping " will extend down to the AHL level?

Sorry that wasn't clear KJUNKANE.  I think we are on the same page.  I meant to imply that Daniels has been in Charlotte a long time, and maybe it's time for a change there as well.  Scott Walker is quickly having a lot of success in the OHL with Guelph, and he might be a better choice in Charlotte if we make a change there, as opposed to him being the coach of the big club.

A nice story in the N&O about Muller. He came across genuine to me. He really didn't slam anyone or make excuses. I for one wish him well.

A nice story in the N&O about Muller. He came across genuine to me. He really didn't slam anyone or make excuses. I for one wish him well.

Completely agree. Class act. I do hope he gets another shot. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to put it all together.

It's hard to feel too sorry for a muti-millionaire pro athlete turned coach. I have no doubt he was a good guy as were John M and Dave L. Nature of their job. Kirkie gets a years paid vaca. On a brighter note good intro to Lavy on Preds home page. Hope we're reading the same upbeat message and assessment about the Canes from our new coach soon. But who............?

I'm not convinced Brindy is going to end up behind the bench next season. He might but he might be offered other opportunities. Even so, your right that Lavi was never coming here.