The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

With Rod likely behind the bench next year Lavi coming here was never going to happen.

At his number ceremony, if I remember correctly, Rod had praise for Lavi and zero word about Mo.

Edited by winger52

Meh, doesn't matter now. Even if we were to say they were best friends I'm sure PK remembers everything JR had to say about Lavi and wouldn't let Francis bring him back in.

Besides on this new ship to set sail immediately starting with recycling is likely not the best way to go.

Sorry that wasn't clear KJUNKANE.  I think we are on the same page.  I meant to imply that Daniels has been in Charlotte a long time, and maybe it's time for a change there as well.  Scott Walker is quickly having a lot of success in the OHL with Guelph, and he might be a better choice in Charlotte if we make a change there, as opposed to him being the coach of the big club.

Thanks coastal, just checking my thoughts, which you've helped to verify. And yes, I'd love to see Walker brought in for the Checkers as I believe his approach to the game could be very beneficial both to our AHL group, as well to those here.

Per your comments caniac 1234, do you really believe that $ is all that drives these coaches? IMHO, not only was Muller a fine and decent person, I believe that one day he'll be an outstanding coach. Further his tenure here was "star crossed", and looking back over it, the hockey gods, if one believes in them, were definately not favorable to him. Injuries early on definately put him behind the proverbial 8 ball. Combine this with the obvious weakness of our AHL team to supply quality call ups when injuries occur, and inability to bring in players to augment this team's needs( Gerbe, Khudobin, Malhotra, etal notwithstanding), and a very inexperienced coach, AT THIS LEVEL, really had little chance of success. Although I concur with many on these boards that his dismissal by RF was inevitable, I still am saddened that it had to come to that.Perhaps if our Big Guns had felt similarly, DURING THE SEASON, he would be on the sidelines for 14-15?

My sense is Dineen will get the job, but you can't rule Samuelsson out based on what Ronnie said in his presser. Specifically, that anyone looking to read tea leaves would be wise to look at people he played with who are now coaching in the NHL. He refused to name anyone because he didn't want to get in trouble with the league, which suggests he has his eyes on someone currently under contract, which Dineen is not, unless the rule also applies to coaches of national teams (Dineen is HC of the Canadian women). It could also mean Samuelsson, although he has no HC experience.

I can think of no one who has earned it more than Vellucci. He just became Ron's assistant and director of hockey ops however (and never played with or coached Ronnie) so I'd be surprised to see him get it. He could, however, seamlessly move into the HC role if whomever is hired now doesn't work out.

If that is Torts, it won't work out. He is far too intense and unstable to bring into a room of under-25s. He also never played with or coached Ron, however, so those hoping for his appointment might want to take note that by Ron's own criteria, Torts is not in the running. Thank God.

Trotz has also never played with or coached Francis, and frankly I'm not sure anybody who has coached for the same team as long as he has doesn't just take a year off to recharge and think about what's next. Opportunities will be there for sure, but again, by Ronnie's own criteria, Trotz is not someone on his radar.

I agree with those here who are saying Olyczyk is laughable. He has found his niche in TV and we need to leave him there.

Edited by top-shelf-1

The possibilities of Dineen sounds pretty realistic, if as top-shelf points out, you listened to Francis' comments in his presser.

Just musing - on Samuelsson, there is the possibility he could be offered the job in Charlotte.

Dineen seems to be that alpha-male type that would make no bones about who the "boss" really was. 

Interestingly, as the coach of the Canadien women's team, his first move was to strip the "C" from long-time captain and star Hayley Wickenheiser.  So, he's not immune to bold moves.

Read in the N&O yesterday where Francis is saying a fresh start is important and for the incoming head coach to pick his own staff and then in the very next paragraph there was a comment about Roddie will be on the staff.  Seriously, how could whoever the new head coach is going to be see Roddie as little more than a spy for the suits - no way the coaching staff selected by the head coach when they are all together along with Rod are going to be talking 'honest' with Roddie sitting there.  Roddie was a great player and good for team PR but talk about a 'floater' - what is his EXACT job on this team?

Read in the N&O yesterday where Francis is saying a fresh start is important and for the incoming head coach to pick his own staff and then in the very next paragraph there was a comment about Roddie will be on the staff.  Seriously, how could whoever the new head coach is going to be see Roddie as little more than a spy for the suits - no way the coaching staff selected by the head coach when they are all together along with Rod are going to be talking 'honest' with Roddie sitting there.  Roddie was a great player and good for team PR but talk about a 'floater' - what is his EXACT job on this team?

Did Greg get a new handle?   If not, we found a clone...

I get it...you think Rod should go too.  You know what?  The guy has his number hanging in the rafters...he was the captain of our Cup team...he was the heart, soul and face of this franchise for over a decade.  At this point, I don't care what his job is with this organization, he has earned the right to work for it in any manner he wants to!

The story read Francis said Brindy would stay on staff. It didn't say coaching staff although that may happen. I think the new coach will have a say in that.

Painting Rod as a spy for the suits is a pretty broad stroke.

Dineen for the Canes and then move Samuelson to Charlotte might not be a bad idea.  I read where someone else suggested that in a post up above.  Not sure Daniels will be ousted though.  Honestly, I am not up to date on who is available for a coaching job....so not sure what all the options might be.  Whomever it is I want a coach who will hold all player accountable no matter how long they have been here and I hope Ronnie makes it clear that no one is safe if they underperform.  If a player seem to be lazy or lacking in motivation, sit them down a couple of games and send a statement to the whole team.  No favorites here....everyone must earn their paycheck.

Did Greg get a new handle?   If not, we found a clone...

I get it...you think Rod should go too.  You know what?  The guy has his number hanging in the rafters...he was the captain of our Cup team...he was the heart, soul and face of this franchise for over a decade.  At this point, I don't care what his job is with this organization, he has earned the right to work for it in any manner he wants to!

AWAC, you almost sound weepy talking about Roddie.  Don't be such a jock sniffer. .Let me pose the question again.  What is Roddies EXACT job description on the team right now?

KJUKANE, nowhere in my post did I say $ is what drives a coach.  My comment is to say he's a multi millionaire ex athlete turned coach who will pick up a years salary (approx $700k?).  At the end of the day its a business and Kirkie has it real good.

As far as what Rod's job description is, what difference does it make. He could be listed as Head Groundskeeper. If he is teaching work ethic, skill improvement, or anything else that helps players then that is fine with me. And seems to be fine with the check writer.

Asking what Rod's duties are as an Assistant Coach (straight from the Club Directory) is a valid question.  I'll offer what I know to be true.

I attend a lot of practices.  Rod is always there, and what I see him doing is mostly one-on-one drills working with the centers on faceoffs, explaining the head coaches drills and ensuring they are run correctly, offering explanations if they are not, he talks a lot to the younger players, and he is always out there after everyone leaves with the guys who are being scratched or trying to come back from an injury.

He's not behind the bench, but he IS coaching.

Now Wesley, that's a different story all together.  He's more into player development, particularly defenseman.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thanks Coastal.  Thats helpful to know you've seen this.  This is just an assumption:  If Roddie is to stay on the ice how does this square with the new coach picking 'his' guys and then knowing he has to include RB in the mix?  I personally think its awkward for Roddie because I think the new coaches will view him as more a part of the Canes hierarchy than one of their own in the coaches room where they may not feel so free to talk when he's around.  Coaching fraternity is tight and not fair to the new coach to be told Rod has to be worked in.  Again, an assumption but thats what happened to Kirk.

I certainly can't answer that with any certainty, but I would assume during the interview and selection process for the head coaching position, that would certainly be discussed, and if there is an issue, it would factor into any decision.

Just my thoughts...

It's hard to feel too sorry for a muti-millionaire pro athlete turned coach. I have no doubt he was a good guy as were John M and Dave L. Nature of their job. Kirkie gets a years paid vaca. On a brighter note good intro to Lavy on Preds home page. Hope we're reading the same upbeat message and assessment about the Canes from our new coach soon. But who............?

No caniac1234, you do not mention "$ is what drives a coach" directly but "It's hard to feel sorry for a multi-millionaire pro athlete turned coach",  "Kirkie gets a paid vacation" and "Kirkie has it real good" suggest that those material things should offset his disappointment at failing to be successful with this team. My bet is that Coach Muller would trade the "paid vaca",etc for having another opportunity with this team next year. 

I would think that if the new coach is secure in his abilities, he would welcome any contribution Rod will make. Good coaches usually surround themselves with good people, and allow them to do their jobs. I don't think Ronnie would put Rod in the "spy in the locker room" position, and Rod never impressed me as the kind of guy that would allow himself to be put in that position.

I would think that if the new coach is secure in his abilities, he would welcome any contribution Rod will make. Good coaches usually surround themselves with good people, and allow them to do their jobs. I don't think Ronnie would put Rod in the "spy in the locker room" position, and Rod never impressed me as the kind of guy that would allow himself to be put in that position.

Amen to that caniac6, and I think it is ludicrous to suggest that just because Rod was retained by this new GM, that the motive would be to have someone to report back to RF about locker room issues! Paranoia is rampant these days.

I get it...you think Rod should go too. You know what? The guy has his number hanging in the rafters...he was the captain of our Cup team...he was the heart, soul and face of this franchise for over a decade. At this point, I don't care what his job is with this organization, he has earned the right to work for it in any manner he wants to!

Agree with that.

I never saw the presser so I'm not sure why a lot of folks think RF already has a coach in mind or think it has to be someone he's played with before etc. This is what I saw on Nhl.com and it sounds like the doors wide open and when Kirk and friends were let go there wasn't a plan in action for replacements. He knew what had to be done and didn't drag it out waiting to find someone first.

Francis said he will seek a coach who can meet specific criteria.

"The biggest thing I'm looking for is a guy who is a teacher," said Francis, who spent nine seasons in the Carolina front office before replacing retiring Jim Rutherford on April 28. "In today's game, you have to be able to communicate extremely well. You have to have strong leadership qualities and be able to manage the different personalities you're dealing with in the locker room."

Francis said he has received emails and phone calls about the job opening. He said he will consider coaches with NHL coaching experience as well as current assistant coaches.

"I'll start with a big list and narrow it down to those worth bringing in," he said. "Whether that number is two or seven, we will take the time to do it right."

Also it mentions NHL coaching experience and current assistants. I guess by not mentioning specifically NO nhl experienced people will be excluded then you could speculate that maybe they are included but I'd think not. That would shorten the list although our boards 3 top picks would fit this criteria.

Obviously I mean Dineen, Torts and Trotz.

Amen to that caniac6, and I think it is ludicrous to suggest that just because Rod was retained by this new GM, that the motive would be to have someone to report back to RF about locker room issues! Paranoia is rampant these days.

Kjunkan, it's not about spying. It's about loyalty. RB's loyalty is with the team and it won't be with newest set of coaches coming in. Roddie was on Mo's "staff" but he got to stay then he was on Mullers staff and he gets to stay while they get bounced. I see a new coach marginalizing him because he wasn't hand picked by the new coach. At the end of the day he's been coaching about what 5 seasons? How have the Canes done? Maybe he has been a part of the coaching problem year over year.

How about we shut this thread down and focus on the "We Need a New Coach" one?  Does anyone really have anything new to add about the "firing" part as compared to the "new coach" part?

Edited by LakeLivin