The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Rutherford Named Pens GM

This would shake things up a bit. PK would lose his safety net.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun  ·  1h

Add veteran executive Jim Rutherford to the Pittsburgh GM search mix... hearing Pens have also reached out to him..

Asked Jim Rutherford about Pens' GM position and any interest on his part. Says he's under contract with Canes and not commenting.

This would shake things up a bit. PK would lose his safety net.

Now wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake! Up to his sly old tricks again, pimp hand and all. Trade away Sutter, Doumalin and pick, then Jussi to a rival! Then go and take advantage of those poor appearing trades at the time. To me, this should come under a "conflict of interest" type scenario??

I see Rutherford has interviewed for the Pens GM job!  Hows that work - you own part of the Canes but GM another team?!

Regarding Seidenburg and the year he left the Canes I ran into Kevin McCarthy at 5 Guys and started chatting.  I sked him about "Sides" and he said the Canes felt he was asking for more than he was worth.  Now he's a top 4.  Yet Rutherford gives the Staals the moon and gets mediocre performance in return.  Please, go GM the Pens JR and then they'll finish below us.  The game has passed by Jimmy - time to retire

I see Rutherford has interviewed for the Pens GM job!  Hows that work - you own part of the Canes but GM another team?!

Regarding Seidenburg and the year he left the Canes I ran into Kevin McCarthy at 5 Guys and started chatting.  I sked him about "Sides" and he said the Canes felt he was asking for more than he was worth.  Now he's a top 4.  Yet Rutherford gives the Staals the moon and gets mediocre performance in return.  Please, go GM the Pens JR and then they'll finish below us.  The game has passed by Jimmy - time to retire

I fully agree with your sentiments, caniac1234 !!

Now wouldn't that just be the icing on the cake! Up to his sly old tricks again, pimp hand and all. Trade away Sutter, Doumalin and pick, then Jussi to a rival! Then go and take advantage of those poor appearing trades at the time. To me, this should come under a "conflict of interest" type scenario??

I imagine if your Sutter or Jussi your thinking if JR is named GM is he going to trade me again.

I imagine if your Sutter or Jussi your thinking if JR is named GM is he going to trade me again.

I believe we have a center spot open....and a top 6 wing for that matter!

I believe we have a center spot open....and a top 6 wing for that matter!

I believe your right..LOL.

To Pittsburgh:  Eric Staal, Jim Rutherford, 6th round pick.

To Carolina: Brandon Sutter, Jussi Jokinen

;)

Since PK is moving to Raleigh its a natural he will need an office and a hockey title. He will be the President and take JR's office.

Maybe JR can take over Ron the Refs job; "Jimmy the Journeyman"

I merged the three Rutherford topics into this one thread.

OBXer

Keep on talking!

The more I read this, the angrier at JR I become.

To me, this is a big "(censored) you" to the Canes organization, implying that he felt he was forced out before his time.  What about all that stuff he said at the presser about how he still loved and believed in this organization?  Was that all a crock of BS?

The second thing is to me, this proves his love affair with the Penguins.  He trades Jussi for NOTHING...we're still waiting for his other big-name trade to play to his potential...and it seemed like he couldn't help himself calling Ray Shero just about every trade day to see what he could offer him.

The ultimate karma on this is for JR to fire Dan Bylsma, we hire him, then go win the Cup next season.  JR is probably calling Kirk Muller up as we speak...

NHL.com reports he is supposedly going to be named and Bob McKenzie tweeted it was definite.

TSN report: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/new-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-must-build-a-better-blueline-than-he-did-in-carolina/

TOTALLY TRUE STATEMENT!!!!

Love this paragraph too!  "Rutherford will have no excuses for the results that follow in his new role. He’s got more top-end talent than he ever had in Carolina. He’s got a blank checkbook with which to attack the team’s soft spots. He’s got to produce better results than his predecessor, and he’s got to do so immediately."   :woohoo: 

Well I guess we'll have no doubt that Francis is not just JR's boy.

I have to digest this. At first, it just doesn't sit that well.

A couple of thoughts:

Does this maybe provide an opening to move Ward?  Perhaps Cam for Jussi or Sutter in a sign and trade? (JR didn't value them too much the first time around)  But Pitt looks like they're going to be struggling with cap space, so we'd probably have to eat quite a bit of Cam's salary . . .

I hope people aren't serious about the "conspiracy theory" stuff.  That big trade came about way before there was any indication that Pitt would have an opening.  And I'd be shocked if JR had any thoughts about leaving Carolina before this last disappointing season.

If RF stumbles at all and JR wins a cup (with his increased talent level) before the Canes make the playoffs again, half of this board will complain about how stupid the Canes were to let JR go.  LOL!