The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Rutherford Named Pens GM

I doubt it Lake...imo, his ship sailed after 2010.  I think Kirk will prove to be a decent HC one day, but it was his time too...

Now confirmed: Jim Rutherford will be Pens' new GM.

I agree with Lake. This isn't a conspiracy. This is a guy who was pushed out of a job and saw an opportunity. Heck half this board was accusing JR of not being able to see a season ahead let alone 3 seasons. 

PK says he will take over as President of the Canes...oh boy! 

I'm not angry at JR going to the Pens, but I'm not overly happy with it either.  We've got our own problems to fix, most importantly getting a new head coach.  But if the rumor is true that JR doesn't want Bylsma, we'd be glad to take him.

Same here, I'm pissed right now.

To me it means that JR was just going through the motions as he said he was thinking about stepping down for years. Or/and it means he is full of ****.

Or it means the problems on this team are so numerous and deep and JR saw things that made him give up.

I don't know exactly why I'm agitated, but I'm definitely agitated.

and who will buy JR's share of the Canes?  I can maybe see him going to the Canucks but not a division rival and a team that he a made some questionable trades

and who will buy JR's share of the Canes?  I can maybe see him going to the Canucks but not a division rival and a team that he a made some questionable trades

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  8m

Still to be resolved, Karmanos says, is Rutherford's investment stake in Canes. Said will discuss with NHL finance committee next week.

Don't wish too hard for Bylsma.  I'm not convinced he is a great coach - maybe more of an average coach who simply had great talent.  Don't forget that strategically and tactictly he blew the last Olympics out his *edit*  with a pretty talented team.

I'm glad JR is in the East.  It will create some much needed tension, hate and discontent for us fans next season when we face off against them.  Also puts more pressure on RF to make wise choices which is good.  For what these boys get paid to do, the more pressure the better - it helps make things more meaningful.

What?  I'm blown away by this.  I mean it.  What is going on??  Seriously, is PK OK?  He fires his son, and now his best bud is moving to the competition?    I'm serious.  I'm wondering if PK is having some change in personality or something.

Now, in other news, I this is great for RF.  He IS his own man now.  I LIKE the fact he is taking his time for the coaching search.

Don't wish too hard for Bylsma.  I'm not convinced he is a great coach - maybe more of an average coach who simply had great talent.  Don't forget that strategically and tactictly he blew the last Olympics out his *edit*  with a pretty talented team.

When your team is full of prima donnas (aka, Patrick Kane), it's kind of difficult to attain success...see Russia/Washington Capitals.

I doubt it Lake...imo, his ship sailed after 2010.  I think Kirk will prove to be a decent HC one day, but it was his time too...

AWAC- I agree with those calls right now. But I think you're underestimating some of our members propensity for Monday morning quarterbacking. :lol:  

I really can't criticize JR for taking the job.  PK opened up his wallet last season and I wouldn't be surprised if that move came with the expectation that we make the playoffs or else.  I believe JRs resignation wasn't totally voluntary, and if true, why wouldn't he take the Pittsburgh job if offered?

AWAC- I agree with those calls right now. But I think you're underestimating some of our members propensity for Monday morning quarterbacking. :lol:  

I really can't criticize JR for taking the job.  PK opened up his wallet last season and I wouldn't be surprised if that move came with the expectation that we make the playoffs or else.  I believe JRs resignation wasn't totally voluntary, and if true, why wouldn't he take the Pittsburgh job if offered?

Then he shouldn't have sunshine pumped during the presser introducing Franchise as the new GM.

Don't wish too hard for Bylsma. I'm not convinced he is a great coach - maybe more of an average coach who simply had great talent. Don't forget that strategically and tactictly he blew the last Olympics out his *edit* with a pretty talented team.

I'm glad JR is in the East. It will create some much needed tension, hate and discontent for us fans next season when we face off against them. Also puts more pressure on RF to make wise choices which is good. For what these boys get paid to do, the more pressure the better - it helps make things more meaningful.

Take it easy. One our fans aren't going to boo Pittsburgh any harder, especially considering JR probably won't even be at the game.

And in general, not aimed at you, but when you really think about JR going to Pitts, who cares? It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but we can all honestly say we wouldn't be any better if he was still here.

It looks like the Pens will have a live feed of the presser naming Rutherford GM  Pens videocenter

Thanks OBX, I was just going to ask if anybody had a link. I wonder if they're ready to announce Bylsma's firing at the same time as announcing JR as new GM?

Edited by LakeLivin

Thanks OBX, I was just going to ask if anybody had a link. I wonder if they're ready to announce Bylsma's firing at the same time as announcing JR as new GM?

Not sure because its not offical yet but from CBC Sports

Perhaps this was ownership's preference all along, but Rutherford apparently decided to let Bylsma go

When your team is full of prima donnas (aka, Patrick Kane), it's kind of difficult to attain success...see Russia/Washington Capitals.

AWAC,  Patrick Kane - one player - is not the reason the US Olympic team folded like a lawn chair.  Thats coaching plain and simple.

Just heard Bylsma was fired minutes ago.  Lets pray Canes management passes on more incest hiring; enough with Pittsburgh already UNLESS we gcan get back Sudsy.

Just watched the press conference.  I was impressed with the questions the media asked JR. He seemed to handle them very well, except maybe the one about leadership.  By inference, he seemed to call out the Pens stars for not being vocal enough in their leadership roles. Wonder how that will go over with Sid, Malkin, etc?

Quote from article: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721924&navid=nhl:topheads

"Jim's my best friend and I'm very happy for him," Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos Jr. told the Raleigh News and Observer. "He has been the face of the Hurricanes and we will miss him. The fact we've built such an exceptional organization is a testament to how good he was at his job.

IMHO...That's blowing some smoke right there!   :Oops: 

JR has called out our leadership also. A lot of good that did.

We Bylsma is now available. Might find our pretty quick if he's part of the slow hire.

Things are getting interesting.

Edited by remkin

JR did a masterful job to build the cup team and to build a respectible organization.

However, if JR was a part of the accountabily culture issue, having him completely gone might not be terrible at this point.

Let Francis go all in, see what he can do.

If he can get JR to take Ward for a decent player in return that would be a great start.

Not sure what JR thinks of Fleury.

I honestly don't know how to process this yet. It makes me really wonder what was going on behind the scenes with the front office in Raleigh/Detroit. If Jimmy was pushed out, I don't blame him for saying or doing anything. I was ready for a change, but if the problem is PK?

Gotta wonder if all this has been worked out for a while now. JR knew he was going to Pittsburgh, Bylsma knew JR was gonna fire him and he was gonna except the job from Francis in Carolina. It may have been a bunch of handshakes and agreements going on between these guys since April. WE'll see.