The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Rutherford Named Pens GM

My guess: PK was not convinced that having JR in the room constituted a full passing of the torch to Ronnie, who has certainly earned the opportunity to have complete control. He asserted it quickly by firing Muller. Maybe there was disagreement over that decision (since JR brought Muller in). But regardless, reading the Pens' announcement, I think there is nothing sinister going on here. Hockey is a tight little community and I'm sure there's been much discussion about JR's work prepping Ronnie here, and now that the Pens have a GM apparent, they wanted a "Yoda" to ensure he is fully prepared before taking the reins. It's a no-lose situation for JR: He's with a team that makes the playoffs regularly, he gets to tinker around the edges (which we all know he does obsessively), and in two or three years he sails into retirement.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Top Shelf, I'd be willing to bet it had more to do with JR being fed up with PK than the other way around. At least that's how this smells to me.

Top Shelf, I'd be willing to bet it had more to do with JR being fed up with PK than the other way around. At least that's how this smells to me.

Have to agree. This is why Compuware's BOD booted him from the companyhe started

PK's interview was bad, brutally bad, but not Sterling bad!

PK just needs to step back and let Francis get it done. Oh and no more interviews.

No question PK is a control freak. Something like 50 percent of successful businesspeople (and politicians, military officers, etc.) are psychopaths. Not saying that's the case with PK, but even those with a few traits common to psychopaths are just brutal to work for long term. Interesting book on this topic: http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychopath-Test-Journey-Industry/dp/1594485755

No question PK is a control freak. Something like 50 percent of successful businesspeople (and politicians, military officers, etc.) are psychopaths.

Crap...I guess that's what's wrong with me!

No question PK is a control freak. Something like 50 percent of successful businesspeople (and politicians, military officers, etc.) are psychopaths. Not saying that's the case with PK, but even those with a few traits common to psychopaths are just brutal to work for long term. Interesting book on this topic: http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychopath-Test-Journey-Industry/dp/1594485755

You really have a high opinion of successful business people. Psychopaths? 

You really have a high opinion of successful business people. Psychopaths? 

Not my opinion, winger, just "is what it is," check out the link provided. Many successful people would not be able to achieve the heights they do if not for their insistence on total control of everything; they are simply not able to delegate or trust others, while many others are collaborative and believe in giving people the tools and support they need to be successful and turning them loose.

Doesn't make the first type "bad people," just very hard to work for. And again, I'm in no way suggesting PK is a psychopath, but as others have said, it's pretty clear from his interview that he'd be tough to tolerate for as long as JR (and the Compuware board) did.

Crap...I guess that's what's wrong with me!

Me too, AWAC! ("I'll need that on my desk - let's see - 20 MINUTES AGO. ANY FREAKIN' QUESTIONS?!")

Never met a psycho Naval officer - they get hot chow and clean sheets most every night.  Marine Corps Infantry officers like I used to be a long time ago; now thats a great place to meet psycho officers...

Here comes the paranoid Hagman...

I heard JR interviewed on XM the day he got signed.  He made a comment that he thought the Pens needed and X and O guy to coach, someone who could make in-game adjustments and in-series adjustments.  And also maybe a motivator type for an assistant.

I swear JR, you touch our Brind'Amour and I will personally form a posse and bring them up to Pittsburgh to take care of business.  He's ours.

Here comes the paranoid Hagman...

I heard JR interviewed on XM the day he got signed.  He made a comment that he thought the Pens needed and X and O guy to coach, someone who could make in-game adjustments and in-series adjustments.  And also maybe a motivator type for an assistant.

I swear JR, you touch our Brind'Amour and I will personally form a posse and bring them up to Pittsburgh to take care of business.  He's ours.

Poor form commenting on your own post, but CRAP!

http://cardiaccane.com/2014/06/10/nhl-rumors-pittsburgh-penguins-interview-rod-brindamour-jeff-daniels-head-coach/

Did this just get personal.  I think it did. This might become more interesting then a rerun of the Godfather trilogy. Your move PK.

No telling what's going to happen next it feels like. Maybe JR will ask for permission to talk to Muller, or his first trade could be to acquire Cole from Dallas.

Did this just get personal.  I think it did. This might become more interesting then a rerun of the Godfather trilogy. Your move PK.

What OBX said- who here thinks JR just said go ahead sell the farm...but I'm taking all the assets first.

This is becoming a possible train wreck- where you're afraid to look but you just have too :o

Or is this 2 old men playing "chicken" who will blink first

Pressures on Ronnie!

I think Ronnie knows,  its been a country club atmosphere, and hes taking no prisoners... Its going to get veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy interestinggggggggg :) jmo

I agree with those sentiments totally. I'm sure that a head coach choice requires "fit" just like a player's and we should trust that Ron is being deliberate in this critical piece.

On another front, what are your thoughts(or anyone else's) on JR's current actions, namely taking on Jason and then paralleling our requests on coaching candidates. Is this some way of "rubbing the Canes' noses" in it? Is this to school Ronnie on how cut throat this behind the scenes business is? Perhaps, if he's focusing on "revenge", he'll be vunerable elsewhere.

Or is JR perhaps "losing it"?

Fortunately for us, and unfortunately for Pittsburgh, I think JR is going to tear that team apart.