The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Rutherford Named Pens GM

salary difference is ???

Ward is locked for 2 years to go and Fleury is UFA at end of 2014-15.  Cam is paid about $1MM more.  Use as nucleus around other parts to make deal.  Doubt JR wants to take on salary, so Canes may have to take something off his hands for Cap.

As many on these boards are aware, Manny is my favorite. When I succeeded in winning his jersey on Military Appreciation Night(winning as in outbidding), I was able to have a nice chat with him, which all the more solidified my respect of the player. He shared that his family loved the area (I know, this may have just been politically correct), and when I commented that I loved the Vancouver area, thus wouldn't blame him for returning, he stated that the "winters are much better here". Now surely, Pittsburg is not that much different than Raleigh, but I sensed that he was very fond of this area. That  may just be me wanting him to stay on, IDK?

Manny seems like an upfront loyal sort, thus he may feel beholden to JR for giving him his "break", but I certainly hope his feelings for his peers are stronger that for his past GM! Certainly, JR is once again succeeding in driving up the price of a potential signee. Again, as was speculated with our coaching list, is there an ulterior purpose in this? Does his intimate knowledge of the entire Canes' structure not set him up with an unfair advantage? Does anyone feel like I'm beginning to, that there should be some curtailment of his activities when involving his present and past team? For those of you who are more hockey versed, is there precedence for this?  

Well, will he be loyal to his (former) GM, or to his team and new fans?  Or will he go for the last big payout?

Well, will he be loyal to his (former) GM, or to his team and new fans?  Or will he go for the last big payout?

I'm betting it's neither.  I don' think he'll draw a huge contract either place (don't forget, the Pens are really Cap strapped next season).  As long as both clubs offer something reasonable (maybe just over $1m?), I'm guessing the only way he goes with the Pens is if it's to make one last run at a cup.  Otherwise, as long as the Canes brass makes him feel wanted, I bet he chooses Raleigh.  Here's hoping;  I know I'm repeating myself, but I think Manny brings a lot of what this team needs to the locker room in addition to what he brings on the ice.

For what he brings I'm fine w/ Manny as our 4th line center. I don't know if he thinks he can fill a higher role (3rd line center) somewhere, but he's definitely not that in my opinion. For his leadership, heart, work ethic, and off the hook face-off ability (w/ a puck possession coach one would think Peters would like him) definitely a keeper at high 4th line money. I guess it depends on what it would take to keep him. 

If we lose him, though Nash plays a decent two way game and puts up twice the points and is still early on the career arch. If Manny stays great, if not, not the end of the world.

Ward is locked for 2 years to go and Fleury is UFA at end of 2014-15.  Cam is paid about $1MM more.  Use as nucleus around other parts to make deal.  Doubt JR wants to take on salary, so Canes may have to take something off his hands for Cap.

Scuderi is the name most frequently mentioned as being a priority to move out in Pitt.  Not sure I'd want to take on Fleury and Scuderi just to move Wardo out.  

For what he brings I'm fine w/ Manny as our 4th line center. I don't know if he thinks he can fill a higher role (3rd line center) somewhere, but he's definitely not that in my opinion. For his leadership, heart, work ethic, and off the hook face-off ability (w/ a puck possession coach one would think Peters would like him) definitely a keeper at high 4th line money. I guess it depends on what it would take to keep him. 

If we lose him, though Nash plays a decent two way game and puts up twice the points and is still early on the career arch. If Manny stays great, if not, not the end of the world.

I value Malhotra more for his intangibles than his play on the ice.  We're trying to instill a team culture. That starts with the brass and coaches but also requires buy in and execution from the players.  From everything I've read, it sounds like Manny exemplifies what we're trying to build in that respect (and that he's got the respect of the team and leads from within).  Since building a new culture throughout the organization is critically important imo, I'd like to see Manny signed even if it's as a depth player.  I'd bet JR is thinking along the same lines. I can't see Rutherford going after Manny primarily for his actual play on the ice.  Although, I sure some here will argue that JRs endorsement of what Malhotra brings wouldn't necessarily be a positive, lol.

Plus, remember what happened to the overall team faceoff % after Manny came on last fall.  It jumped up, even though Brindy had presumably been coaching that aspect for years.

(chant)

SIGN MANNY! SIGN MANNY!  SIGN MANNY!  :lol:    

Based on some of the articles coming out of Pittsburgh, sounds like the Pens fans and media are loving them some JR right about now.  I for one am glad to be able to share the pain with them.  I certainly hope that our problems are in the great state of Pennsylvania now, and not still in Raleigh.

Ron the Ref may be on the short list  to interview for the coaching job at this point!

If we keep Malhotra, we need to learn from how Muller used him.

He was over-slotted as a 3C and lost his legs during the second half of the season.  Outside of faceoffs, he was terrible.

We need to either surround him with some bangers on the fourth line that can muck and grind in the corners in the defensive zone long enough to give the big forwards a rest, or surround him with some fourth liners that can forecheck in the O-zone long enough to give the big forwards a rest.

Same with Nash.  You can't surround these guys with offensive washouts like Bowman and Dvorak and expect better results than we saw last year.  Muller was an idiot.

Faceoff prowess, leadership, etc. alone doesn't make up for Malhotra's shortcomings 5 on 5.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not understanding the love for Manny.  Outside of his unique story and his faceoffs I barely noticed the guy on the ice or on the score sheet the whole year. I noticed him losing most foot races and not being to great of a puck handler.   Seems pretty expendable to me, just a passing thru 4th liner, JR can have him, I won't cry, if we keep him than cool, he was good at faceoffs and a veteran voice in the locker room.

I love the idea of Manny as the 13th forward!  He can play some games here and there, provide some much needed locker room leadership, and continue to help improve everybody's faceoff percentage.  Anything higher than that, is over slotting him.  Nash should be the regular 4th line center and no higher.

I've been saying the same thing as the last three posts since the end of the season. I know it is not popular with some but ultimately it is the play on the ice that matters. Malhotra seems like a good guy, but outside of faceoffs I was not impressed. He will need help around him if he stays, and that should be in the form of physical grinders on the fourth line. Honestly, I would rather have Nash as a fourth line center, again surrounded by some physical grinders.

It appears the Pens have a coach

Funny, when Desjardins signed with the Canucks, a lot of Pens fans posted a variation of "We don't want a minor league coach anyways!"  Bet they're wailing and gnashing their teeth now.

I saw these on the Pens board.  I'm not endorsing these, and I wish JR all the luck in Pittsburgh (as long as it doesn't come at our expense), but these are just funny:

9s0gu.jpg

9s0cu.jpg

9s0y8.jpg

9s09b.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

Those are awesome. I feel bad for the Pens fans. Rutherford at the helm of a team low on cap space with a ton of people to sign. That can't be good. I'm sure someone can convince him to take Eric, Jordan and Cam for Malkin and Neal. My guess is we'd have to take Letang as well... I'd still say that's a win for us!

Well to be fair, JR is good at finding bargain free agents, and isn't too bad at 1st Round draft picks.  He's been a dumpster fire on a lot of the other GM stuff, though.

Well to be fair, JR is good at finding bargain free agents, and isn't too bad at 1st Round draft picks.  He's been a dumpster fire on a lot of the other GM stuff, though.

Just to be clear, I didn't post those pics to tear down JR.  Imo, he made some mistakes (mostly contractual) and was good in some areas (some good low cost pieces other clubs didn't recognize).

They weren't meant as criticism; I just think they're funny and that we could use a laugh.

Edited by LakeLivin

Just to be clear, I didn't post those pics to tear down JR.  Imo, he made some mistakes (mostly contractual) and was good in some areas (some good low cost pieces other clubs didn't recognize).

They weren't meant as criticism; I just think they're funny and that we could use a laugh.

I did laugh. :D