The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Ron the Ref..canned

It appears Ron the Ref has been sent packing.

To clear up facts...I was released of my Ron the Ref duties yesterday. ..Thanks to everyone for your support

Thanks for all the support and good wishes from everyone at this tough time..Caniac Nation always made me feel appreciated.I'll miss you all

Being a little old school I was ambivalent  on most the between period stuff but the guy has been a fixture at games for 16 years. I wonder where on the list he fell...fire coach, hire coach, evaluate draft, evaluate FA, resign players and oh yeah fire Ron the Ref.

Maybe this is part of the teams changing the culture....lol

Nothing against the guy personally, but thank goodness.

People come to watch the game, not the circus sideshow stuff from Ron the Ref, Stormy, and company.

Make the entertainment more about the game and hockey in general, and less about shooting t-shirts into the crowd, wing and burger eating contests, and dumb games.

Great move.

Sounds like the head of Canes Vision and Chantel are leaving as well.

Is that last true, coastal? Unlike several on here, I thought that Chantal was good and improving, unlike Ron the Ref. Quite frankly, he always grated 0n my nerves.

Yes, Rutherford, head of CanesVision has been let go.  While not confirmed, Chantel's contract will be ending and it's rumored she is leaving as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Chantel was never fit for the job and should have never been hired. Surely there were other women or men who could have filled that role and had their act together.

She might be improving but this is the NHL you should already be one of the best.

Edited by legend-1

People come to watch the game, not the circus sideshow stuff from Ron the Ref, Stormy, and company.

Make the entertainment more about the game and hockey in general, and less about shooting t-shirts into the crowd, wing and burger eating contests, and dumb games.

Great move.

Totally agree. the guy came across as a "glad handler”. I know the stupid games are a form of needed adverting $$ but they get on my nerves. Don’t understand why grown adults would fall over each other for a free t-shirt

Great move.

YES!  I understand the whole marketing plan of getting young fans interested and having them grow with the team, but it's time to start the growing up part.  I mean, the circus stuff is so juvenile - it's just annoying.

Next we need to change the post-goal sound effects.  The Flintstones, Homer Simpson, Chewbacca whatever stuff is really unprofessional and makes us as a fan base look childish.  Just a nice loud horn would be sufficient, no music or sound effects necessary.

I'm glad things are taking a different direction.  It seems smart to me to change the attitude within the system in all aspects.  The experience can be better.

I have to admit, hearing that Ron got canned isn't good news to me.  I'll agree that it's time to change up things, and the in game...crap...needed to go.  Canning a long time employee that has been a great ambassador to the organization doesn't seem to be a great thing.  All those bits and games was just what somebody else came up for him to do.

Maybe it is the fact that Ron has been great to my girls over the years.  When one was having a birthday about 8 years ago, I wrote a letter to Ron at the RBC Center on the off chance that he could snag a puck or broken stick for her.  I didn't know him at all then, other than just a "Hi" when walking around.  He met us after the game and gave her an Erik Cole stick (blade broken) and a game used puck.  We have gotten friendly over the years and I've seen him do this type of thing many times.  We were by the guard entrance after the game one night talking with some friends that we had met sometime before while tailgating.  They come from Hickory a few times a year.  Ron came out and I said "Hi Ron, this is my friend Nick".  Nick was about 7 years old then.  Ron said hello and asked if we could wait a minute.  He went to his truck and came back with a game used goalie stick from years ago (I think it was Trevor Kidd).  He said he was thinning out some stuff and asked if Nick would like the stick.  These are just the type of things that he did that are unseen. 

I can't see how losing a guy like that is great news.  Ron Biscotti is a class guy. 

Edited by super_dave_1

Not a fan of this move. Seems that after all Ron has done for this team and for hockey in this area they could have found a way to keep him in the mix. If I see somebody else in the crowd on the Jumbotron during periods of no play I'm not going to be happy.

While I am not happy to see him go, the in-game experience was getting a little stale.  I think they're just trying to fresh things up a little bit.  Hope Chantel doesn't go, she's kinda cute.  I did see her doing some tv junkets for the NHL.

how do other teams handle their "in game" entertainment?  I asssume that the Habs would be different than the Kitty Kats or the Bolts?

Edited by colliefan

A couple weeks back I was talking to a Canes rep and he said that changes were being made so this is it.  I had mentioned exactly what all you guys are posting that the in game 'stuff' is old and lame.  I mentioned that in Nashville they bring bands in for entertainment and that the Canes see all the other stuff other teams do so why not get creative and adapt some of it.  He agreed. 

As for Chantel some have said she never should have been hired.  I disagree.  You have to learn your craft somewhere and she worked hard at it.  She understands the game.  Its hard for anyone to interview players who have close to zero personality and are of no help to make the interview 'work.'  She was new hire learning her craft in the best place to learn - a weak hockey market with about 25,000 or so fans in a million person Triangle.  She acquited herself well and hopefully she moves on to a bigger market.  Good luck Chantel.

As for Ron the Ref:  A real nice guy who had a 16 year run.  Thats good by any measure.  Good luck Ron.

I also like Tripp but isn't his polyanna schtick getting pathetic?!

I also like Tripp but isn't his polyanna schtick getting pathetic?!

I was surprised that Tripp didn't do the Baldricks shave this year.  It got me thinking that he may want his recent work to reflect a certain look -- in the event interviews and auditions were necessary.  Or maybe it was because he knew he had a national gig coming up?

I also meant to say that we should can the 'Cheerleaders.'  So tired of seeing them climb the corner rails to 'rally the fans.' Duh

Oh please be careful what you ask for!  In FL they dance on platforms with pom-poms.  It is not good at all.  See the international games?  More pom-poms but in the isles.  No thanks.

I get tired of the climb the bars and "clap to the choreographed clap we learned", but at least it isn't distracting.  A tweak or two might be OK.

Edited by wxray1

The best substitue for some of these silly, between-periods "entertainment" stunts would be to put a competitive team on the ice.  That would entertain the fans enough.  Family Feud contests and the like are no substitute for winning games in order to make us happy.  I wish Ron the best, but I can't say I will miss him.

I have to admit, hearing that Ron got canned isn't good news to me.  I'll agree that it's time to change up things, and the in game...crap...needed to go.  Canning a long time employee that has been a great ambassador to the organization doesn't seem to be a great thing.  All those bits and games was just what somebody else came up for him to do.

Maybe it is the fact that Ron has been great to my girls over the years.  When one was having a birthday about 8 years ago, I wrote a letter to Ron at the RBC Center on the off chance that he could snag a puck or broken stick for her.  I didn't know him at all then, other than just a "Hi" when walking around.  He met us after the game and gave her an Erik Cole stick (blade broken) and a game used puck.  We have gotten friendly over the years and I've seen him do this type of thing many times.  We were by the guard entrance after the game one night talking with some friends that we had met sometime before while tailgating.  They come from Hickory a few times a year.  Ron came out and I said "Hi Ron, this is my friend Nick".  Nick was about 7 years old then.  Ron said hello and asked if we could wait a minute.  He went to his truck and came back with a game used goalie stick from years ago (I think it was Trevor Kidd).  He said he was thinning out some stuff and asked if Nick would like the stick.  These are just the type of things that he did that are unseen. 

I can't see how losing a guy like that is great news.  Ron Biscotti is a class guy. 

I agree with you.  Even if they wanted something new and diffrent, Ron was always good ad doing meet and greets wiht the fans during tailgates.  Just for that he should have been kept.

Who's pulling the trigger on these dismissals?  Ronnie?  Surely he has no part in this side of the biz?  Who then?

Got me to thinking about JR maybe getting the Pens GM gig.  Obviosuly he plays no important role as this teams President and on top of that PK is moving to Raleigh.  Obviosuly PK needs an office and a title and JR ain't got a say in that.  Hopefully with JR: "Buh-bye"

Just heard JR interviewed for Ron the Ref's job; Jimmy the Journeyman.

Edited by caniac1234

From another thread, this was posted:

"It's all making sense now.  RF has fired Ron the Ref.  Rumor has it they plan to announce next week that they are hiring him as the head Coach.  Chantel will be fired next week and named the PP Coach.  Makes as much sense as anything else they have done in the past few years.  Now you can quit speculating, pretty sure this is a done deal."

Is this all part of the new coaching lineup?  Be careful what you wish for; you may get it.

Edited by g105

The best substitue for some of these silly, between-periods "entertainment" stunts would be to put a competitive team on the ice.  That would entertain the fans enough.  Family Feud contests and the like are no substitute for winning games in order to make us happy.  I wish Ron the best, but I can't say I will miss him.

Post of the week.

Put a competitive team on the ice and I dont think anyone would care about the in game entertainment.   Except of course the Canes because they need to keep all those sponsors happy ;)

Ron's a great guy, I wish him the best.

Gosh-----who knew Ron the Ref was the reason we failed to make the playoffs for five seasons ! 

That move alone should bring the STH's back in droves !   :sarcasmalert:

Do you think Stormy will be next?

I've not been a fan of the in-game entertainment for years, including those when we were winning.  This market has grown beyond Family Feud, and It was time for a shakeup, and I'm surprised so many are having a problem with it really. 

There's certainly plenty of serious hockey fans out there spending money, including our visitors, that would rather see more hockey-related entertainment regardless of the standings.

Taking a job as the character "Ron the Ref" doesn't scream 30-years and a pension.  Ron the person should be proud that he had such a long run at it.  I wish him all the luck.

I do wonder if any of this is from PK as he becomes more involved,  I'd bet money the anthem singer will be in a suit or other more dressed up attire next year.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I honestly don't pay much attention to anything that goes on during the breaks. My thought is " do we really need to be entertained every second?"

Now, get off my lawn.