The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Ron the Ref..canned

If they are planning on focusing the game experience to be about hockey, then great.  Full steam ahead.  Most of what they do seems lifted straight from a small-town carnival, and maybe.. just maybe.. we're maturing past that level as a hockey market.

If they're just looking to get different people to fulfill the same roles, and we'll still be seeing a stream of people guessing from multiple choice quizzes for grocery store gift cards.. and interviews consisting of players being asked if scoring more goals would be a good thing.. then they should just leave everything as it is. 

Well, big changes, I guess this puts us firmly in a run for the cup next year. Are you kidding me? I could give a flip what they do BETWEEN periods. I want to see the changes happen that effect the game on the ice.

This is so typical of this francise, make a few superficial commercial changes to entice the blind into thinking the losing culture is changing. Stop the smoke screen gestures and ice a winner instead, then I'll gladly listen to Fred F and Ron the ref all day long!

I liked Ron the Ref and i thought he did a good job.

However, I will gladly do without all of the needless product placements EVERY time there is a stop in play.

I went to an Avalanche game at the Pepsi Center in Denver last fall and I was surprised at how different the game experience was.  They still have product promos but I think it was only around only one per period.  They also had just the crowd noise during some stoppages and organ music during others.

I found it quite enjoyable and different to be at a game and not have my ears blown out by music a few milliseconds after the puck stops.

If that is what they're going for than I am all for it!

I think you guys have it wrong.  Ron the Ref is a Headliner and likely wouldn't perform in less than sold out venues or for crowds that are too small.  I think PK is seeing that reality for next season's STH renewals and realizes it would be awkward. ;)

I love all of the experts here.  Yeah, lets get rid of all of those stupid sponsors during TV timeouts and between periods.  I am tired of the in game promos and things that actually make the crowd get on their feet when the team is playing poorly.  Oh, and tickets cost too much so I don't go because the team stinks, because Ron the Ref is "bad game show host".  How much do you think ticket prices would be if there were not any sponsors doing things during breaks?  They pay big money to have their names and products attached to a professional sports team and they expect to get plenty of visibility.

Have any of you ever seen a production in another arena?  Most of them suck compared to our in-game show.

Ron the Ref is class A, stand up guy that has done more as an ambassador for the Canes in this area than anyone that I can think of.

Flame away...

Francis getting rid of all the stuff he didn't like. Chantel will not be moving up to another team and probably will not be in TV anymore if anyone does their homework and actually watches some of her canes broadcasts. cheerleaders need to stay and the outfits need to be hotter like other teams. they also need to allow them to do more than their 3 lame dances. Change it up Francis, everything but John Forslund please(I gotta admit as much as tripp annoys me i would miss him a little)

Ok, I'm a little late to this discussion and just now saw the thread...Emma is bummed, she loved flirting with both Ron and Chantal:
1517498_10101955456077237_151533796_n.jp

Stormy needs to be worried...they're cleaning house in Raleigh and he's probably next!

So is this like the clean house - yard sale...before you sell the house? Or just a "remodel" LOL

It does have that feel about it and I'm not LOL.

cheerleaders need to stay and the outfits need to be hotter like other teams. they also need to allow them to do more than their 3 lame dances. 

If they stay, they should be the ice crew, instead of just cheerleaders.  I've seen that arrangement at other arenas, such as the crew Atlanta had, and it works for the crowd and is at bit more hockey-related.  Assuming they can find skaters who want the job..  

Change it up Francis, everything but John Forslund please(I gotta admit as much as tripp annoys me i would miss him a little)

I'd like to see the color position rotate this season.. find out who works with Forslund the best.  Who knows, maybe Tracy really is a four-star commentator. I just don't personally know if the Canes have any control over the situation.  So far, it looks like anything that can be evaluated is being evaluated.

If they stay, they should be the ice crew, instead of just cheerleaders.  I've seen that arrangement at other arenas, such as the crew Atlanta had, and it works for the crowd and is at bit more hockey-related.  Assuming they can find skaters who want the job..  

I have to disagree.   I find the titillating ice girls to be  ridiculous.  I like what the Canes are doing now -- a group of skaters who appear to be ice professionals.  No skin or sequins in site.    Leave the figure skating outfits to the figure skating shows.

I have to disagree.   I find the titillating ice girls to be  ridiculous.  I like what the Canes are doing now -- a group of skaters who appear to be ice professionals.  No skin or sequins in site.    Leave the figure skating outfits to the figure skating sho

Well, here's a gallery for those of a different opinion. Enjoy!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/photos/1303/ice-girls-and-cheerleaders-0313/1/

So Ron the Ref is nonsense that has nothing to do with hockey but ice girls get a pass?

I think there is some conflict in this thought.

I know hockey IQ has grown leaps and bounds since the Canes came here in 1997.  And I understand that many of the Puckheads on this forum  would like to see more "hockey oriented" entertainment when play has stopped.  But I suspect that it will be decades (if ever) before hockey becomes ingrained in this area like, say, football or college basketball.  Outside of becoming perennial cup contenders (which we'd all like but which honestly isn't realistic), I think the Canes probably need to continue to present a more dynamic overall entertainment package than Canadian or original 6 teams.  And part of that needs to be geared towards capturing the youngsters until they become old enough to appreciate hockey just for hockey's sake. 

Having said that, I don't claim to be an expert on how best to do that; I just think that it needs to continue in some form or another.

Edited by LakeLivin

So is this like the clean house - yard sale...before you sell the house? Or just a "remodel" LOL

It does have that feel about it and I'm not LOL.

God I hope not.  Although I could afford a suite at Antz games for what I pay now.

This was retweeted by Luke the other day from a TSN radio show

Dreger "what I'm hearing, and I don't know if this is 100% true, is..."

Dreger "...that Karmanos is interested in selling whatever interests he continues to have in the Hurricanes"

Dreger "I don't know if Karmanos is actively pursuing that with any level of desperation"

Dreger "I think there is a considerable amount of change ahead in Carolina"

The reference is vague and source unknown so take it with a grain of salt. But Dreger did put it out there. The moves we are making and going to make both big and small could be simple house cleaning to put our house in order with an eye to a more viable future or it could be an attempt to get the economics in line to make us more attractive for a sale. Even if it was it doesn't mean Carolina is going anywhere.

Whatever the reason Ron the Ref and others are losing their jobs.

Not sure I like the sound of all that. PK it was a rough interview, but step back from the ledge.

I guess his friend is off to Pittsburgh and he's had enough?

OK, I'll step back.

For the record, the point of Luke putting out those tweets was to remind people to.....

DON'T FALL FOR THE RUMORS FROM DREGER ABOUT KARMONOS WANTING TO SELL STUFF ON THE DAY RUTHERFORD JUST HAPPENED TO SIGN WITH PITTSBURGH.

Some people will fall for this stuff.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Guys, if PK sells out, this could very well be the end of hockey in Raleigh...unless there's a conglomerate that's willing to fork over some serious $$.  Otherwise, i see PK selling out to someone with interests in either Quebec or Seattle.

Well, just to get hyper speculative, I would suppose if I were in PK's shoes and my team performed the way it has lately, and I gave a pretty bad interview and a lot of people were not appreciating that, and my longtime friend left to go to Pittsburgh, and I just wasn't feeling a lot of love from my community, I might make some noise about selling the team. Might make people realize who brought them NHL and who could take it away....

But that's just me being hyper speculative (as opposed to my normal amount of highly speculative).

what is the length of the lease the Canes have with the PNC Center and what would it cost to buy-out that lease?  At least the Canes are not yet at the point of asking the City.County to pay a portion of the rent as Kitty-kats have done with their rental agreement.

what is the length of the lease the Canes have with the PNC Center and what would it cost to buy-out that lease? At least the Canes are not yet at the point of asking the City.County to pay a portion of the rent as Kitty-kats have done with their rental agreement.

I believe through 2024. Drager might have meant he's trying to sell rutherford's share. Let's not freak out here

The only reason the Swamp Cats still have a team is cause the snow birds pack the arena to see their VISITING team come to play.