The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Ron the Ref..canned

I believe through 2024. Drager might have meant he's trying to sell rutherford's share. Let's not freak out here

I believe the Canes are here to stay, unless there is a major down-turn in attendance. Too many kids who grew up playing hockey since the Canes moved here are now paying customers.

Folks, please stay on the subject.  This thread began with Ron the Ref being fired and is now about whether PK is going to sell the team and cancel the contract with PNC for the arena.  Start a new thread for matters related to ice girls, etc.  Sheesh.

Maybe Ron will buy the team and reinstate himself as in game host. Then we can get LaRose back, ask the league for a redo on the JStaal trade, and get in out time traveling DeLorean and not sign "Average at Best" to that big deal.

Always remember folks, these guys have to constantly put some kind of drivel out there for the masses to absorb.

I need a waffle.  Now where did I put that buttermilk.......

I'm serious, I'm having RonRefWaffles and some link sausages

As a tribute to Ron of course.

I like syrup on my sausages, what a mix of flavors.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Happy to see Ron the Ref go. I've been to well over 100 games in the last few years and don't see what value he added. My wife would cringe anytime he spoke. I think Amber Jaye does a much better job and doesn't make it look like a circus in a sequence ref outfit.

As for the Storm squad, time for some new blood. Was anyone at the game when the Checkmates were there? They outperformed the Storm Squad in skill, looks and physique (it's important to note they are the second choice of girls in Charlotte with the Bobcats in town too). There are members of the storm squad with 12 and 7 year tenures. I think it's time they retire their pom poms and let some new kids have a shot. On a side note, I know someone did mention it in this thread, but at a few games I've been to in Chicago the girls perform the ice cleaning as well. Why not save some money and resources and combine the two? The SS could do the pregame meet and greets, work the ice during breaks in the game and still do community outreach programs. They might be able to pay them better as well which could bring in a better caliber of talent.

As for Chantal, I think she had a very rough start but has learned the ropes and has been great in the last year. The NHL picked her up to cover their playoff coverage on Facebook and other social media outlets. She did a great job on those as well flying cost to cost during the finals.

Just my two cents...

Glad Ron is gone. Hopefully Francis hires someone that can educate these fans on the game.

Do not know how this can be done in the context of a game.  Some have been with the team since 97.  Others are "newbies".  Perhaps have more Hurricane U but at a lesser cost ( do not include a game ticket)

Nothing against the guy personally, but thank goodness.

People come to watch the game, not the circus sideshow stuff from Ron the Ref, Stormy, and company.

Make the entertainment more about the game and hockey in general, and less about shooting t-shirts into the crowd, wing and burger eating contests, and dumb games.

Great move.

Sounds like the head of Canes Vision and Chantel are leaving as well.

I realize I'm late to this story, but coastal here nailed it from my standpoint. It's time to stop treating the fans here like they wouldn't come to any games without all the sideshow stuff. That was fine 10-15 years ago since the novelty of having an NHL team in Raleigh was still fresh, but it should have stopped IMO after we won the Cup. All the sideshow stuff just felt really ECHL-like to me.

Recently the Checkers did rid of some of their entertainment stuff too, and I heard no complaints about it from anyone. This sport has been around this state long enough now that it's ok to focus the experience of a game more about the game in general, and less about how many wings a fan can eat in 15 seconds, or how much the box of Harris Teeter crackers cost.

I'm sorry Ron the person lost his job, but times change and it's been time to end the sideshow stuff for awhile now. Our team has it's own history now, lets focus on that more and have less silly stuff.

They used Ron the Ref as an actual Ref when they scrimmaged.

And Chantel is still here. Although Amber Jay has done most of the broadcast stuff so far.

What broadcast stuff? I didn't think the game was on TV.

Everything that's being covered during the offseason/training camp has been hosted by Amber.

Ah, okay. Yeah, Amber Jay does the online stuff while Chantel's gig is with Fox Sports Carolinas.