The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
weehawk

Karmanos Selling the Team?

Twitter rumor of the week for the Canes...

• Hope Smoke: Darren Dreger: “What I’m hearing, and I don’t know if this is 100% true, is that Karmanos is interested in selling whatever interests he continues to have in the Hurricanes” … “I don’t know if Karmanos is actively pursuing that with any level of desperation” … “I think there is a considerable amount of change ahead in Carolina”

Is this why PK is moving to Raleigh?

Who wants to buy the team and keep them here considering how far back PKs ownership goes and the fact that he has subsidized the team for decades?

Do the Canes become the next NHL relocation rumor candidate?

Can the other shareholders afford to buyout PK?

Team plays poorly

Arena is very papered (free tix)

No playoffs in sight

Cap restrained

How do you come close to turning a profit with a team like this (market, team record, etc)? I assume he's losing millions a year without getting any playoff revenue to offset the losses.

It's all rumor, but it's not out of the question. A lot has happened to PK the last year. Firing his son, getting canned himself from Compuware, and moving out his decades-long GM. He's not a young guy anymore and maybe he wants out?

Would it make more sense for PK to move here because he was selling the team or to get more involved because he's keeping it? To me, the latter makes more sense. . .

Would it make more sense for PK to move here because he was selling the team or to get more involved because he's keeping it? To me, the latter makes more sense. . .

Yeah, I would think if PK sells AND the team is then relocated, he'd be persona non grata in most of the Triangle, so moving here and selling makes little sense. My guess is that without Compuware to (try to) control anymore and Mad Dog Technology getting started, he needs another outlet for his massive ego. If so, look out, Ronnie. :(

Then again, maybe Mad Dog will move here with him?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Hope this rumor is not true, because I can't imagine finding a local buyer or out of town buyer that would want to stay in Raleigh is going to be easy. But my recollection is that it came out a couple of years ago that PK wanted to sell the (ECHL) Florida Everblades. Don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but moves the last several years (firing his son, JR leaving, putting his only other professional hockey franchise on the market) could be read as pointing in that direction.

Hope this rumor is not true, because I can't imagine finding a local buyer or out of town buyer that would want to stay in Raleigh is going to be easy. But my recollection is that it came out a couple of years ago that PK wanted to sell the (ECHL) Florida Everblades. Don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but moves the last several years (firing his son, JR leaving, putting his only other professional hockey franchise on the market) could be read as pointing in that direction.

http://www.chatsports.com/carolina-hurricanes/a/Canes-owner-says-he-is-committed-to-team-Raleigh-0-7804874

A little dated, but this is what PK said when selling the Everblades and the facility they played in.

After watching the interview with him, and the things that have transpired since that interview, nothing would surprise me.  JR has left the organization. JR has hired his son, whom he fired, in Pittsburgh.  I highly doubt that JR did that to sabotage the Penguins, he must have thought the kid knew his stuff.  Maybe the real problem with this organization is PK, and if that is so, nothing has changed in regards to the problem for the coming season.  I do feel that we are enjoying our last days of professional hockey in Raleigh.  And I hope that I am as wrong about this as I have ever been. 

I do feel that we are enjoying our last days of professional hockey in Raleigh.  And I hope that I am as wrong about this as I have ever been. 

I sure hope not, but I would not be surprised.  Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm going off the top of my head here, but the Canes rank at the bottom in terms of overall team value and/or revenue right?  I feel the only way to grow a hockey team in a non-traditional hockey market is to produce consistent winning teams.  The hardcore fans will always go to the games, but the Canes need to draw in the casual fans, who may turn into hardcore fans if the team keeps winning.  I know the Stanley Cup win in 06 was probably a big boost to the team shortly afterwards, but that probably faded with the following years of not making the playoffs, and we are currently on a 5 year playoff drought.  Hopefully the changes made in the organization will get results, but we will need years of continued success to help keep the Canes in Raleigh.  Again, just my .02, and I'd welcome other opinions.

Side note, let's say the unfathomable happened and the Canes were relocated.  Would you follow the Canes to their new city or pick another NHL team?  I wonder how the Whalers fans handled their loss and whether they now follow us or chose somebody else.  I'd probably follow them to their new city, but I don't live near Raleigh and have not been to a game yet, so it might be easier for me to do that than some of you in the Triangle, but it would still feel awkward at first.