The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

It looks like this will be an active year in player movement. The Canes have some decisions to make on who we keep, who we trade and who if anyone we buyout.

Chex FA Mike Murphy (G) and Mark Flood (D) are headed to Europe. No movement on the NHL level.

Other teams are beginning to waive players with the intent to buyout

Aaron Rome Dallas

David Booth Van

Ville Leino Buf

Jordin Tootoo Det

What will we do, what will we do?

I've been a fan of Tootoo for quite some time, OBXer. Think he could work here?

I think his NHL days might be over.

add: over might be a little harsh but his style doesn't fit us iMO

Shows how little I know!!

You know as much as me. The guy is a hard nosed forward. I just don't know where we would slot him. At 31 I suppose a team will take a shot on him if the price is right. I haven't seen enough of him the past two seasons so maybe he still has enough game. For all I know Francis is jumping on him. 

I saw us linked to Radim Vrbata of Phoenix and now a UFA.

Right wing. Getting into mid 30's, but put up 51 points last year, and .8 ppg (28 pts/34 games) in the lock out season the year before.

Saw that too, rem, and thought he could be useful. Another recycle project? Further on Tootoo, he would come cheap as a buyout himself, and has a nice "gritty", if not mean streak. Great for a 4TH line agitator, no?

Alright Kjun you now have me thinking about TooToo. Gritty,mean and at times downright nasty. I'm still not sold but you have me thinking. Not that what I think matters but it is fun speculating.

The return of Radim Vrbata to Carolina. I suppose its possible. I alway liked him. He seems to still have game.

I just read that Winnik will not be back with Anaheim. I think he would certainly bring some of what we need. He is physical and goes to the front of the net, surprised the Ducks are letting him go. He disappeared during the playoffs (on the score-sheet), but he is not a guy that is supposed to be a big scorer. He brings a lot of other things to the table IMO. I was always impressed with his drive and physicality, mixed in with some skill, when I watched him play. I think he would be a great signing.

I put it elsewhere but NHL.com has a bit about San Jose officially stating that the rebuild is on. 

Read: Thornton and Marleau might not be in the plan,.

Not sure if any of the parts they want to move work for us, but...

This is the next big step for Francis. We should get some idea of where he is taking this team once he starts signing or letting some of our FA walk.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  3h

Francis said there have been negotiations with some UFAs and said some may be re-signed before July 1.

Ron Francis says decisions on qualifying offers for RFAs have been made but that he would first discuss with Peters.

This is the next big step for Francis. We should get some idea of where he is taking this team once he starts signing or letting some of our FA walk.

I was getting worried a little. Hadn't heard anything about our UFA's. Really want Tlusty back. Gerbe is restricted, and I assume he's being used as a trade chip. Maybe Hainsey as well.

I would like us to take a chance on Booth.

He wouldn't be my top choice for LW, but maybe an option if all else fails.  He hasn't been very good for about four years and he is not really suited for a bottom 6 role.  I am not sure he is going to draw any interest around the league.  He might have to accept a two-way deal or a tryout.  I would try him out with either of those options.

It looks like this will be an active year in player movement. The Canes have some decisions to make on who we keep, who we trade and who if anyone we buyout.

Chex FA Mike Murphy (G) and Mark Flood (D) are headed to Europe. No movement on the NHL level.

Other teams are beginning to waive players with the intent to buyout

Aaron Rome Dallas

David Booth Van

Ville Leino Buf

Jordin Tootoo Det

What will we do, what will we do?

From that list, Leino is the only one I may have any interest in.  I know I could get flamed for that, but he can be effective in the right situation, i.e. not getting paid $6mil to carry the offense.  He's a good puck possession player, talented passer and can be slotted at any forward position.  At 6'1" 190 lbs, he's not a smurf, though he isn't the most physical guy either.  Offer him a reasonable contract, somewhere around 1.5-2 mil and see if he bites.  Despite the struggles he's had, it might be worth the risk to slot him in the bottom 6, just as long as he's not pressed into extensive top 6 minutes.

I think Tootoo is interesting, though I haven't seen much of his play recently, so I'm not sure how his body is holding up from the beating it's taken over the years.  If he still has any wheels left, could be a good energy add.  Of course, reckless penalties would very likely follow by the bushel.

From that list, Leino is the only one I may have any interest in.  I know I could get flamed for that, but he can be effective in the right situation, i.e. not getting paid $6mil to carry the offense. 

Ville Leino that has scored 10 goals in the last 3 seasons, including 0 in 58 games last year?  I don't know why you'd worry about getting flamed.

Edited by super_dave_1

It looks like we are beginning to make some decisions on our FA/RFA players

We signed Chris Terry to one year, two -way- deal.

A depth signing but you have to start somewhere

Rumors beginning to pick up as we approach the Draft

NHL gm's say Islanders forward Josh Bailey is a trade target. 9th overall in 2008. Under contract thru 2017-18. Would take a lot to get him.

Names are also being thrown at Pens gm, Jim Rutherford for James Neal. What's the going rate for a 30-40 goal scorer? Tough trade to make.

Seeing Hainsey sign is good with me!  Not to sure about the Terry signing though.

He has done well in the AHL and may be able to adapt over time in the NHL but the contract has me confused. $600,000 at the NHL level and $300,000 at the AHL level.  Isn't that a bit high for the AHL?  Maybe he is was going to walk if he didn't get more money but the largest AHL salary I have seen as been around $150,000.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Edited by Caniac5