The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

You need to field a team in Charlotte, with an eye towards developing the kids. Signing an AHL "lifer" who can help with that is not a bad thing. Peters may be helping with trying to develop a Wings type system in Charlotte and that is an improvement over the garbage we have had.

You need to field a team in Charlotte, with an eye towards developing the kids. Signing an AHL "lifer" who can help with that is not a bad thing. Peters may be helping with trying to develop a Wings type system in Charlotte and that is an improvement over the garbage we have had.

Agreed. There are a lot of players who never make it out of the AHL for more than a couple game call up. Holmstrom is basically a replacement for Sutter.

Lake and wXray1, 1st answer, and thanks for noticing, I'm still looking for a Giant Crawfish to post for my avatar!! Seriously, I am tremendously computer challenged, so despite one of you giving me instructions on "how to post an avatar", still am intimidated.

Kjun, check your private mail.

OBxer,

No problem at all with the disagreement on Murphy.

I'm just calling it like I saw it, and the 5'11" kid is just that so far to me from what I saw.  Heck I doubt hes actualy 5'11".  He skates well, sees the ice well, doesn't take foolish penalties and has great upside, HOWEVER - You must have attended a lot of practices to see his hip checks, I rarely saw them in game.  His -9 in 48 games wasn't horrible either but he had games he disappeared.  When he matures and muscles up a blueliner off his game can at least physical up and make things happen.  The way I saw it from my seats hes a future JML right now NOT a Justin Faulk.  Faulk has added physicality to his game and Murphy may also lets both hope. 

I'm not down on him, just commenting on what I saw last year which was a kid who should have been in the AHL.  Hardly a top 6 Dman. 

I like to go to practices.  Murphy has a bomb from the top of the circles.  So does Faulk.  We haven't seen those in the NHL yet.  Stay the course.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It is nice to credit Francis with avoiding the free agency feeding frenzy, but it would seem that is was mostly out of necessity than restraint. 

Last year I wrote a very optimistic piece about the Hurricane's chances for last year. I rightfully took some flack for things not going the way I thought they would. Almost everyone in the media was comparing our team to the lockout team. But the lockout team really did have massive injury problems, especially on defense, which led to us being #29 in the league. Still the press basically felt that we had not added enough pieces to be better than the year before. 

But we did add Sekera for McBain (and a second) which is was far more of an upgrade than anything Francis has been able to accomplish for this year's team. I would give myself at least partial credit on getting both sides of that thievery right before Sekera ever played for us. (McBain did not even get qualified and sits on the still available free agent list (speaking of recycling.....NOOOOOOO! Ron, do NOT even think about that one).

Anyway, I was predicting something from Ruutu AND another pick up such as Brenden Morrow by JR. So even based on last year's optimism, we basically have that team minus Ruutu and with no pick up of a veteran center or winger ever having happened.

So. How to get excited about this year? Well...excited? Maybe that will build, but let me just suggest what will have to be the case for this year's team to be better because PK's spin that it was goalie injuries last year doesn't fly.

1. The Best Players have to be the best players. Such a tired cliche, but last year and our current salary cap/free agency situation show how true it is. Eric simply must rise up and lead this team. If Semin can find another level with a healthy wrist, and Tlustly can get back to even a bit closer to the lockout year....of course Skinner needs to keep producing while learning to pass, get the puck on the boards and play defense. And Jordan will need to put a few more pucks in the net. All of these guys in one way or another, let me down and made me eat crow. They need to bring it for us to have any chance.

2. Yound guys need to step up. We need to get improvement from key guys. We need Lindholm to keep improving. The kid is still a teenager. He really started looking better to actually pretty darned good as the year went on. (He is very slick on the goal line on the PP and should be put back there). Boychuk. The guy led the AHL in goals. For crying out loud he can put up 20 in the NHL.Murphy. At 21, he is still young, but he has 50 NHL games under his belt and an offseason. I think he'll be ready. And we need a surprise. McGinn? Maybe too early, but someone.

3. The coach. So we're ultimately betting after all, since we have not clearly replaced Ruutu, let alone upgraded the top 9, that Muller was the problem. I really like what I've seen and heard of Peters, but if Muller was not the problem....it will be a long year.

4. Ward. We need Ward to play well enough to be trade bait. If he struggles with inconsistency and soft goals, it could get ugly fast. If he plays lights' out, we have a goalie tandem. If Khudini brings it again, trades become an option.

Well that's how I see it.

Edited by remkin

It would not surprise me to see either Ray Whitney or Brandon Sutter recycled.  Penguins have made Sutter an offer but from the looks of it they are not very confident that he is going to take it.  Whitney has yet to be offered anything from anyone.  

Lake, many thanks and found 1 I love!!

Someone remind me please, if a player elects to go to "salary arbitration", and eventually goes to it(I know most settle prior to hearing), what happens if the player doesn't accept the agreed upon amount? I ask, because I've seen that 20 players are in the early stages of the process. In other words, could his team elect to Trade said player?

Cody Franson is 1 of the 20. Could the Canes attempt to step in if he does not settle, and more importantly, would we want to? I've seen from his stats that he doesn't take many penalties, thus despite his size, he doesn't appear to be physical. Could a Harrison for Franson trade work?

Oh, and REM, sign me back for another tour of your island, as I too think that we'll see more buy-in or else from the "big boys". Not sure buy-in is the right word, as I believe lingering physical ailments to several, plus a novice coach unable to make critical adjustments(as much as I like Müller), put this team behind the proverbial "8 ball" early on.

Also, how I would love to see JR strike out, and we pick Sutter back up. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

Edited by KJUNKANE

If the 4 things I listed happen we will make the playoffs. I wouldn't call that blind optimism, I'd call that a lot of ifs.

Yeah but it's like this every off season as of late Rem. You and I have the same conversation year after year. I have accepted this now though. Until a rebuild happens we will endure some very long seasons.

Fair enough. I still think that last year's team should have been much better. A lot of guys off their career averages, then Ruutu gives us jack and squat.

But I went out on a limb and this group let us down. I feel like they left me out on an Island of some kind.

I am not confident this year because we made no signficant upgrades. I guess this year this pretty much exact same team will either vindicate last year's prediction, or we'll get a shot at Conner McDavid.

But my post above was what would have to happen. Note I did not predict it would happen this time.

Edited by remkin

No need to call Captain Obvious to tell us what went wrong and what needs to be better this season, so listing just about anything would make one correct.

;)

Edited by coastal_caniac

If the idea is to make players play to their potential, we still dumped Jussi off for nothing. So we still have less talent then this team had when Muller was hot with them in the shortened season.

Now if our idea of winning is going to be playing the trap, that's another story. Another boring story.

Don't know about you, legend, but at this point in time, I'd take winning no matter what route.

As to your comment about Jussi, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Surely his run here with his 2 fellow countrymen was magical. After he was offed from here, he again took off in scoring. What appears to be a pattern, however, is that for every team, his effectiveness always seems to fade. Might it be that his enthusiasm fades with each new team/situation.

I personally hope that this year, players play to their known abilities and that our new coach, with STRONG BACKING by his new GM, establishes a unified culture and team identity. If that happens, and from opening day, I am confident that we'll be much better than last few years.

No need to call Captain Obvious to tell us what went wrong and what needs to be better this season, so listing just about anything would make one correct.

;)

Really?

Last year this team had a run where everything seemed to be clicking. Of course it ended, and the total body of work was evident and a dud. 

But, many guys were off their career averages, not to forget Ruutu. Why was that? 

IF it was some combination of nagging injuries, coaching, and guys just not buying into the coach, then w/ a new coach and GM and renewed focus from the Captain, a lot of things could go right, or at least significantly more right than the last two years.

OR have these guys just lost it? The core just does not have it anymore. 

That to me is not as obvious. Which one is more responsible for a team that on paper was so much better than on ice? Coach and coach player GM interactions? Or players just not good enough? 

If it is the latter, then it is just a matter of time until we fall back an implode. If it is the former, a new coach might lead to a not so obvious surprise.

This core has never had it.  We have not made the playoffs since Brindy left.  I don't know if it's a lack of leadership or what but until proven otherwise this guy has never had their act together....not once.

In spite of the GM speak of we are happy with our group we are still one maybe two moves/signings away from being a playoff contender IMO. The moves so far have been sound but only address our 4th line or depth on D. Francis keeps saying no big moves unless the move that makes sense come along. I hope somebody picks up the phone and calls us.

Depends what else we get I suppose. A 35 year old Thornton isn't really appealing to me and not sure a 35 year old Thornton wants to be here.