The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

My thoughts too Lake. Full rant on that site about the meaning of the word "rumor", but in my eyes, BS could substitute for Ekland's "rumors" 99% of the time.

I don't have a problem with anyone talking about it.  I just commented because although a broken clock is right twice a day, I think Eklund's percentage is lower than that. :grin:  Does someone actually pay that guy, or is he a volunteer like many of the commentators on The Bleacher Report?

Edited by LakeLivin

RE Thornton at 35

If he gets us out of one of the highest paid players in the entire NHL so we can get another year after this one it would be worth it.

Don't drink the Kool-aid

Eric Steal +/-

2003/4. -6

2005/6  -8

2006/7 -8

2007/8. -2

2008/9  +15

2009/10 +4

2010/11 -10

2011/12  -20

2012/13 +5 (Short)

2013/14. -13

LIFETIME NHL +/-      -41

10 Years and finished "+" 3 times

Think about who he played with early on and his was the "2nd" line.  He will be great as the 3rd best player on a loaded team, but he can't lead us to anything as our primary and overpaid player who won't back check and rarely makes a great assist. 

NOW compare him to a 35 year old Thornton who would set a tone on this team, then probably leave or retire.  Lets get a guy like Joe, and some loaded team can take Eric and assume they got a steal - we know better.  Steal didn't even have a game winning goal last year.  Despite being paid in the top 10 in the NHL.

I will say this.

I do think that Francis has at least looked at a shake up move. The problem is return. Since other teams want to make us pay for the term and salary. And we are selling an asset that is currently at perhaps it's lowest value (either Staal or Ward) ever.

What I would love to know is Francis's deep down belief in if Eric can find another level. If he does, it will almost certainly be a better option to spin the Eric wheel one more time than to make a one sided trade. Same w/ Ward.

If Francis has absolutely decided that Eric will never get it done, then a move to bring in a temporary even swap for a couple of years, and clear cap to go shopping in the future isn't totally crazy.

I do think Francis has resigned himself to this.

Knowing Eklund, my guess is that it's pure speculation: both teams have at least some interest in moving their #1 centers, so that's a possible thing. So put it out there.

Edited by remkin

The unknown is what E wants. He talked a good game at the exit interview but did indicate there was a limit to his patience too. If E's agent has told RF ( I'm not saying he has) his player wants to move then Francis is going to need to do what he can to find a swap.

It isn't a bad swap if it was to happen IMO  Both player have NTC so it would be complicated. Both players might need a change of scenery. At the end of the day it is a rumor from a less then reliable source. I will believe it when I see it.

But it is the kind of move I think we need to make

Yes.  If it could go wrong last year it did.  Lots of things have to go right this year.  Actually, just about everything needs to go right.  Just pick something.  :help:

Can we play?

Now that Muller is gone my next "thing" is related to a new coaching staff, being Special Teams.

I wouldn't change the lineup beyond what they're doing, but have everyone under Peters' "Hammer"

Teams that struggle with puck possession usually don't do well dumping and chasing the puck.  Aside from the inept special teams, which predated Muller, this is one thing I hope changes under Lewis.

He would be another one of those players you put the IF before. If he can regain form, if he can still skate top 6, if he was willing to take a short term, less money contract to prove he still has it.

Does he make our team better?

The one thing about this point in FA is that guys like Heatly will have to really look in the mirror and might take a one year "show us what you've got" deal. Then it could become a bit like the Gleason signing. If you are paying a guy to perform at a 3rd line level for one year, it might be worth the risk. 

The guy was seeing 4th line duty and the press box last year. But has been a big star. How would he react to being a third line player making third line money? 

Well it is rumored he might be done in the NHL, and headed to Europe, so maybe he does take it.

We need help on the PP bad.

He was coming off a shoulder dislocation and surgery last year....but...he has a two year run of horrid +/-. Last year he was -18 on a plus team and worst on the team by a mile, and the year before pretty much the same. 

I know +/- is a very sloppy stat, but when compared to the rest of the team and over two years, I think it at least a lot of smoke suggesting some fire in the vicinity. To me it suggests that what offense he did get, he got at the expense of not taking care of his own end. We already have Skinner for that. We don't need more of it.

Then again, the guy has scored 50 goals. And we need PP help. 

In the end, I say no. He will probably be unhappy in his new role in a non hockey town. He will not be teachable on defense. The reward could be high, but so is the risk. The plus minus, while not a great stat, is yelling at me: "bad habits!". The kind we need to rid E. and Skinner of, seem to be Heatley's calling card.

That said, it would be something to talk about. 

Edited by remkin

One take on possible UFA's we might have interest in, does put Dustin Penner at the top:

Remaining NHL Free Agents the Carolina Hurricanes Could Pursue | Bleacher Report

Basically:

Dustin Penner, Ray Whitney, Daniel Winnik, Michael Del Zotto, Brett Bellemore.

As with any UFA still available, there is always a downside.

My take on these guys:

Love to hear other's thoughts on these guys, to me Dustin Penner just might fit most with what we need.  Size, physicality, will get in front of the net. Played on a lot of winners. Has 20 goal upside. Downside: really tailed off in Washington. Has bounced around a bit. Consistency, and ?shape questions. Not the fastest guy around. 

Ray Whitney is a guy who's agelessness just blows my mind. What he went on to do after he left here is stunning. But he is 42 years old, tiny, and well 42 for crying out loud. And he did leave on a slightly off note. But mainly...42.

Winnik is a career grinder type who passed to a lot of guys who scored on a high flying Ducks team and put up a career year of 30 points. He is well regarded as a role player, I wonder if he is holding out for more based on his 30 point season.

Del Zotto: a former first rounder and boy wonder for NYR. Thought to have really high offensive upside once. Hasn't really panned out. Has a reputation of being hard to coach. Not even qualified in Nashville. Wore out his welcome in two locations. Not huge. Still has serious upside, and we need D help.

Our own Brett Bellemore: my sense of it is that Brett was looking for more than we were offering. I guess the question is what were we offering and has his continued presence on the market changed his view? He is not a huge upgrade, but he did play better than Harrison and we need depth on defense.

None of these names deeply inspire, but maybe one could help at the right price and the right role.

Edited by remkin

Dustin Penner and Waffle House is a bad combination! :tsktsk:

Clause 1.24 Subsection (B) "All portions of contract shall be voidable by the team if the signed player approaches with 100 yards of a establishment selling breakfast confections(including [but not limited to]: pancakes, waffles, crepes)"

If I were Ronnie,I'd take a flyer on David Booth. I think he could be had at a fairly low cost. He has had injuries (concussions)in the past but does skate with speed.He can put the puck in the net. Does Ronnie try to jump start his career with us?

Evander Kane is coming under increasing scrutiny in Winnipeg(so what else is new). Anyone on here think that RF might take a flyer on him, for say Trusty?

Kjun, don't know if that deal is there, but I would like to see RF do something, just to do something.

Even though Kane is a bit of a problem child I doubt that Winnipeg is ready to take a one sided deal for him. 

I wonder what the conversion rate is for guys like Kane. Hot shot ego cases. What percentage grow up to be at least workable citizens? 

No doubt about the talent. 

BTW: love your new avitar!

Aren't Penner and Kane both LWs?  Although I'm sure the staff would figure out some adjustments if we picked up either, aren't we in most need of either a RW or a C? I've read the Booth can play on the left or right, and I believe Peter Mueller is a RW.  I hope the staff is still investigating him as a potential flyer (not Flyer). We've hit on some reclamation projects, wonder if he might be another.

Edited by LakeLivin

Hi rem, Lake kindly "drug" me in from the dark ages, so to him belongs the credit. As far as the Kane move, I've certainly kept an eye on him, and believe that his "problem child" label might be like the one that we had with Semin. Then again, it might be well deserved. And you are right, Tlusty might not be enough. Wonder if an accompanying draft pick(not 1st) for next yesr might suffice?

Hi rem, Lake kindly "drug" me in from the dark ages, so to him belongs the credit. As far as the Kane move, I've certainly kept an eye on him, and believe that his "problem child" label might be like the one that we had with Semin. Then again, it might be well deserved. And you are right, Tlusty might not be enough. Wonder if an accompanying draft pick(not 1st) for next yesr might suffice?

Hey Kjun, I'm surprised you picked the 1st version of that avatar.  Did you just like that one better than the one with the hockey stick, or did you upload it before I put the revised version out there?

whos+your+craw+daddy.jpg