The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

So, what are everyones thoughts on Derek Roy?  Anyone think he would be a good fit?

I don't know where we slot him. Move Staal and make him 2nd line center. Maybe 3rd line. I'm very confused if we sign another center.

Here's my thing about moving E to wing. I'm not sure that I like the Staals together. They are far from the Sedins. They play in some ways a similar game. I'd love to know the thoughts of anyone who has really watched closely during the times they've both been out there, but I don't seem to recall any "a-ha!" moments, like the ones we used to see w/ E , Semin, Tlusty.  

If you don't put the Staals together, and you move E. to the wing, you need another bone fide top line center for the top line. (Since not putting the Staals together defaults Jordan to centering line 2).  That means a guy to go up against top pair defenseman and all that. Personally I think Lindholm can become that. His biggest strength is playmaking and two way game, but at 19? Too soon I would think.

It would seem that the only way to have E. on the wing is to move J. up. Then, of course, we need a second line center, because Nash, while serviceable as a third line center, is not that, and again, I don't think Lindholm will be ready for second line center, probably.

I think that this is the dilemma that Kirk faced. It would be nice to get E. to the wing for a few reasons, but quality top 6 centers are not in oversupply in the NHL, and supposedly being strong down the middle is a key to success..E. plays fine on the wing, and can worry less about his on again off again defense there, but we do not have three top 6 centers at this point.

So, the Staals haven't seemed to produce and special magic together, and moving J up, leaves a big hole right in the middle of line two. If we had somehow picked up Kessler, etc. That would have been massive, but as structured, it is going to be hard for Peters to move E. to wing. Doesn't mean it isn't worth trying though...

If we make no further pickups, at some point I wouldn't mind exploring what Lotkionov is up to. The guy was looking pretty good on the PP and third line. Just need him to find a place to rehab from the shoulder for awhile...

Yep, saw that and slowly all the possibilities are riding off into the sunset?? 

I don't see passing on Morrow as much of a lost opportunity.  Not too sure there's much tread left on that tire.  My impression from when he played against us last year was that his  play was sliding from "grit" more towards "cheap penalties". Granted, a very small sample size, but his penalty rate does fit in with the theory of a player trying to write a check($) that his body can no longer cover.

I don't know where we slot him. Move Staal and make him 2nd line center. Maybe 3rd line. I'm very confused if we sign another center.

Is it possible the brass sees Roy centering one of the top 2 lines?  On the one hand, he's much more of  a scoring threat than our current "2nd tier" centers. On the other hand, he's even smaller (5'9", 185lbs) than Loktionov . On the third hand (what is he, a Martian?), except for size, he seems to fit the profile of what RF is looking for (hustle, work ethic, etc.) 

To me, as big a question is what are we going to do at RW? Seems like we're awfully light there. . .

To me, as big a question is what are we going to do at RW? Seems like we're awfully light there. . .

Haven't you heard? Chad LaRose.

Haven't you heard? Chad LaRose.

:lalalai:

Actually, I'm ok with signing Chad if he's willing to sign a 2-way and start in CHA.  Given the wear and tear they take, I can see a year off being a positive as much as a negative for a middle aged hockey player.  If nothing else, hopefully Chad could at least still contribute to the Checkers at the AHL level.  But given how he left here, what are the chances he would go that route?

As far as the Canes go, I'm still hopeful something might come out of the Mueller option.  That seems like the type of move JR was good at; hopefully RF learned that aspect from him. 

I'm still hopeful something might come out of the Mueller option.  That seems like the type of move JR was good at; hopefully RF learned that aspect from him. 

Is there any more word on this? I too would love to see this guy get his shot with us.

Is it possible the brass sees Roy centering one of the top 2 lines?  On the one hand, he's much more of  a scoring threat than our current "2nd tier" centers. On the other hand, he's even smaller (5'9", 185lbs) than Loktionov . On the third hand (what is he, a Martian?), except for size, he seems to fit the profile of what RF is looking for (hustle, work ethic, etc.) 

Well its only a rumor and the rumor has other teams interested. My guess would be between Tlusty and Semin. J between E and Skinner. E would have to skate RW but he has done that before. I just don't know.

This about one of our Earth shattering UFA pick ups, Brad Malone, from TSN:

Brad Malone is a 25-year-old fringe NHLer who has nine points in 54 career games. He's struggled in possession terms, depite playing extremely sheltered minutes in Colorado last season, facing fourth lines and starting predominantly in the offensive zone.

He can play wing or centre, but wherever it is, Malone is a fourth-liner if not an extra body or AHLer,

I wonder what it would take to get Kevin Hayes' rights from the Blackhawks. He isnt showing up to Chicago camp because he wants a quicker way into the NHL. He is a 6'4 forward that could be 3rd line center for us or that big RW to play along skins.  Might be worth trying to get him.

This about one of our Earth shattering UFA pick ups, Brad Malone, from TSN:

Brad Malone is a 25-year-old fringe NHLer who has nine points in 54 career games. He's struggled in possession terms, depite playing extremely sheltered minutes in Colorado last season, facing fourth lines and starting predominantly in the offensive zone.

He can play wing or centre, but wherever it is, Malone is a fourth-liner if not an extra body or AHLer,

First off, the underlying point about us not really making any player moves this offseason is very well taken :( .

As far as Malone, let me throw the "half glass full" side out there. 

For $650k I think it's understood that you're either getting a player who is currently fringe at the NHL level or who's questionable due to age, injury or personality flaws. Here's TheHockeyNews report on him:

________________________________________________________________________________
Scouting Report

Assets: Is a big body who can play a two-way game. Likes to impose himself physically and can play either center or wing. Has experience as a scorer at lower levels.

Flaws: Doesn't have high-end offensive ability, so he's not a prime candidate to play a top-six forward role in the NHL. Also needs more work on his skating.

Career Potential: Versatile depth forward with a little upside.

________________________________________________________________________________

Malone is relatively young (25), decent size (6'2" 207lb), and has shown a least a little bit of offensive production at the AHL level (0.45 ppg over 165 games).   The fact that he's only played in 54 NHL games at least leaves the potential for his NHL offensive #s to creep closer to his AHL #s with a bit more NHL experience.  At the very least, seems like we've replaced a budget LW who doesn't score (Drayson Bowman/ Radek Dvorak) with another who doesn't score but who's a bit bigger and more physical. 

While Malone is not going to be the difference between us making the playoffs or not next season, at least he does give us a bit more size and physicality (which everyone here has been screaming for).  Again, TSNs overall point stands true, but I'm hoping that Malone might provide a bit more than Bowman and/or Dvorak did last year. :crossfingers:     

Edited by LakeLivin

If he's a banger, fine. We needed size. Sounds like he is at least not a Westgarthian Pylon, but "needs more work on his skating" is not overly encouraging. I'm all for a guy to throw the body if he does that. 

I'm not really looking for him to score, but I am thinking Peters will try to bring more puck possession style to the team and his numbers in that regard are not encouraging.

But, yes, he's a 4th liner and depth so fine, but, yes, at some point I'd like to see Francis make one slightly bigger move.

I'm predicting that the Canes will sign 1 more player this offseason.  My guess is that Uncle Pete might pop for at most an additional $2.5m or so. 

I'd love to pick up Derek Roy but I've got a feeling he might be out of our price range.  David Booth could be a huge addition idf he regained his form after a change of scenery, but I wonder if he'd want more to sign than we'd be willing to risk (he was bought out of a $4.75m contract for $1.583m by Vancouver).  

From a $ perspective, I think more realistic candidates are:

Dustin Penner (would we have to play someone else "out of position" if we added another LW to the roster?).

Daniel Winnik: decent size RW, seems like a pretty solid player, probably affordable.

Peter Mueller: I've seen him mentioned on several other team sites, so I don't think he's under the radar.  I suspect that it will take a guaranteed contract (but not a huge amount of $) to sign him based on his credentials and a good year in the Swiss A league.

Lee Stempniak. I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking to him.  Proven veteran RW and there'd be a certain "symmetry" if our last pickup was most recently with the Penguins.

Nothing solid behind any of this, just my gut feeling.

Lake, I'd be happy with any of them. RF still needs someone who can put the puck in the net. Our signings of Malone/Holmstrom/McClement = 7 goals in over 115 nhl games last season. Still way to much pressure counting on Terry and Boychuck to increase our goal production. I'd be surprised and upset if Ronnie holds pat with our current offense.The report on Semin is that he is progressing as expected. What does that mean? I'd prefer someone on the right wing as in Stempniak, Setoguchi, Winnik

Lake, as to your comment regarding Morrow, I was not advocating for signing him either, in my prior comments, but only pointing out that it appears to be another summer where our leader is

'fiddling away while Rome burns".

As to your "cadidates", I'd really like us to take a chance on Mueller. Don't know why, But I've always had some type of affinity for him, much like my thoughts on Manny(and we known the end of that story)!!

As to the rest, don't know much about Winnik, would like us to pass on Penner, could really like Setoguchi or Stempniak.

Probably none will make it, and we are again left a frustrated Caniac nation. Then again, something may shake out totally unexpectedly.