The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

Seeing Hainsey sign is good with me!  Not to sure about the Terry signing though.

He has done well in the AHL and may be able to adapt over time in the NHL but the contract has me confused. $600,000 at the NHL level and $300,000 at the AHL level.  Isn't that a bit high for the AHL?  Maybe he is was going to walk if he didn't get more money but the largest AHL salary I have seen as been around $150,000.

Any thoughts on this issue?

That seems awfully high to me as well.  I can only speculate:

I wonder what we owe the Checkers as an organization when it comes to making them competitive?  Terry wore an A for the past two years and was their 2nd leading scorer this year. Perhaps the Canes were pressured by Charlotte to re-sign Terry?  I wonder if perhaps he was going to test the market unless offered a 1-way contract and the $300k was a compromise?

Again, pure speculation; I'd appreciate anyone with info on how the Checkers/ Canes organizations actually work together. . .

EDIT: glad to see Gerbe inked.  He earned it imo. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I wasn't sure we were going to re-sign Gerbe but I don't have a problem with it.  He earned the contract but I'm not sure where we will slot him. I guess PK gave Francis a budegt because he is wasting little time signing the players he wants.

Gerbe was a top player for the Canes last year.  He went where others wouldn't go and he skated 110% every time he was on the ice.

Glad to see him coming back!!

Edited by Caniac5

I like both Gerbe and Hainsey signings. 

They were the two I cared about the most.

Now see if we can pick up a couple of new pieces.

Yup.  3rd line left wing.

I like both Gerbe and Hainsey signings. 

They were the two I cared about the most.

Now see if we can pick up a couple of new pieces.

Tlusty?

Tlusty?

Tlusty, tlusty, tlusty....what to do with Tlusty. 

He is a conundrum. He can be a very effective finisher and does a lot of little things well. He can also disappear for long stretches. 

How will he need to be paid? Like the guy who tore the league up in the shortened season, or the guy who didn't do much for the first 2/3 of last year?......

I think it comes down to salary and Francis' view of the real Juri Tlusty. 

I would look at trade offers, but remember we tried to trade the guy the first half of last year without takers. I would doubt we get a good enough offer.

As with our whole situation, trading guys when their stock is low is not a good long term move. 

I say if the price is even decent, sign him. The Tlusty that buried goal after goal is still in there. He crept out at the end of last year. Last year was a down year for just about anyone with an F after their name in the lineup. If he rebounds he can round out one of our top lines. Finding guys who can pot 35 goals is VERY hard, especially for a small market team, even if they are living off top player's in the other two slots. Just ask Chad LaRose, it's not as easy as it looks.

I still wonder if, with a healthy wrist on Semin and a rejuvenated E. and a new coach, if we could get the band back together on Semin-E.-Tlusty. If that worked again Tlusty could put up 30 or even dare I say 40 goals. Too much upside to let walk unless the price is too high or the trade offer too good.

Keep him.

Edited by remkin

I'm saying it would be nice to be the one team in the east. That would give us a 1-4 chance to make a deal. LOL

Tlusty, tlusty, tlusty....what to do with Tlusty. 

He is a conundrum. He can be a very effective finisher and does a lot of little things well. He can also disappear for long stretches. 

How will he need to be paid? Like the guy who tore the league up in the shortened season, or the guy who didn't do much for the first 2/3 of last year?......

I think it comes down to salary and Francis' view of the real Juri Tlusty. 

I would look at trade offers, but remember we tried to trade the guy the first half of last year without takers. I would doubt we get a good enough offer.

As with our whole situation, trading guys when their stock is low is not a good long term move. 

I say if the price is even decent, sign him. The Tlusty that buried goal after goal is still in there. He crept out at the end of last year. Last year was a down year for just about anyone with an F after their name in the lineup. If he rebounds he can round out one of our top lines. Finding guys who can pot 35 goals is VERY hard, especially for a small market team, even if they are living off top player's in the other two slots. Just ask Chad LaRose, it's not as easy as it looks.

I still wonder if, with a healthy wrist on Semin and a rejuvenated E. and a new coach, if we could get the band back together on Semin-E.-Tlusty. If that worked again Tlusty could put up 30 or even dare I say 40 goals. Too much upside to let walk unless the price is too high or the trade offer too good.

Keep him.

Well based on a spin around CapGeek,   he'd be worth 1.6-2.3million.

• Rather than stockpiling prospects, Islanders general manager Garth Snow is looking to trade the fifth overall pick in Friday’s draft for NHL-ready talent, says Arthur Staple of Newsday. The goal is “to find either a top-pair defenseman or a top-line left wing to play alongside John Tavares and Kyle Okposo.”

I wonder if we could put together a package featuring Tlusty for the 5th pick?  On the one hand, I know that's unrealistic.  But if you look at what the Isles gave up in the Moulson-Tavares deal, maybe we could talk them into it. :P 

(according to Capgeek, Tlusty's qualifying offer is $1.7m)

Tell me Lake, where or how do they come up with the qualifying offer information? Is it posted or just Eckland-like speculation? Just curious?

Under the CBA;

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

Tlusty made 1.7-mil, so his QO is 1.7-mil.

Tell me Lake, where or how do they come up with the qualifying offer information? Is it posted or just Eckland-like speculation? Just curious?

Or, go to Capgeek (what a great site), click on the team, then the player, then click on "Calculate Qualifying Offer".

header_bg_logo.png

Edited by LakeLivin

So, just so this math challenged guy can be crystal clear on this, the qualifying offer is usually "low ball"?

Not necessarily. All it means is that's the minimum a team has to offer a player to protect it's rights to him.  If the player doesn't accept right away, another team can offer more. The original team can either match the new offer and keep the player or let him go and receive draft picks in return (the picks depend on the contract amount). 

Where the qualifying offer fits in relation to the players "value" depends on the situation.  For a phenom coming off his first contract, a minimum qualifying offer is going to be low in relation to his worth and subsequent offer.  But for a player like say, Drayson Bowman, I don't think many teams are going to "bid" too much more than his minimum qualifying offer of $660k.

Edited by LakeLivin

Regarding Spezza

Hmmm. One in the East. 

So you're saying there's a chance....

TSN- Four clubs on Spezza’s “no-trade” list included Eastern teams Florida, Carolina, Columbus, and the New York Islanders

Are we being judged  by the company we keep?

OK I don't want him anymore. :kleenex: .

Just points out the importance of drafting. It is so hard to bring in any big guns, FA's or those w/ NTC's, not just due to $$, but small market and no playoffs.

This is from Josh Rimer over on hockeybuzz:

Chad Larose - Chad is making a comeback after taking a year off hockey. Chad has been skaing all summer long in hopes of landing an NHL Job. I can see Chad signing in Detroit.

This is from Josh Rimer over on hockeybuzz:

Chad Larose - Chad is making a comeback after taking a year off hockey. Chad has been skaing all summer long in hopes of landing an NHL Job. I can see Chad signing in Detroit.

4th line grinder in Pittsburgh.

All joking aside, I hope he makes it somewhere. He can probably help someone in the right role.

AWAC-I hope you saw this :) we should start our "bring back Rosey" petition! Come on Ronnie- if you want some heart and soul leave it all on the ice players...sign him up!