The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

IF Lokionov is healthy and ready to go, I could see moving Eric to his wing.  They looked good together.  I don't see anybody else on the roster ready to be a top 6 center.

Has anybody heard anything else about Lokionov?

There wasn't much movement around the draft but free agency starts next. I read this morning with the cap only being set at 69 mil there should be some players on the block. On Spectors hockey there is speculation Johnny Oduya’s $3.375 million and Defense-man Johnny Boychuk ($3.36 million) could be available.

JR is going to let jussi walk so he will be available although I don't think he is on our radar.

I liked our draft, but there is no help there this year.

Francis has made some really good moves to this point. Like the coaching staff. Like the draft.

Now fill some holes.

I agree with you rem.  Time to go shopping and swapping

Well I abe seen E. Staal's name in rumor mill pop up a lot more than I remember.  Its more than just fan talk it seems like.  Francis did say one was open as long as it benefitted the team.  He also mentioned us taking advantage of teams that need to make some cap space.

Buffalo using the buyout on Christian Ehrhoff.

Hopefully Francis will make a strong offer.

I wonder what he'll be looking for?  Currently making $4m/yr. . .

Edit: I also looked at some info about Sekera; I hadn't realized that he's only 28 years old! :yippee:   He looks like he's about 40, lol. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Well now, It appears Francis has a plan, I'm not sure what his vision is but he doesn't appear shy in attempting to achieve it.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  Jun 28

Francis says Canes are in talks with Tlusty. Will qualify him.

Francis says Malhotra, Bellemore and Peters will go into free agency

Francis says Canes will not re-sign Dvorak or Komisarek.

Francis said the "plan" was to go into next season with Khudobin, Ward as the Canes' two goalies.

Allowing Malhotra to go to free agency surprises me a little bit. Of course it could be Manny's decision. Bellemore played well but if your going to upgrade your defense someone had to go.

After reading about Manny testing free agency it appears we could re-sign him later. It might be that Malhotra is trying to find his worth before entering into serious negotiations. But Francis said he will address 4th line needs with the implication he may go shopping for fourth line talent.

bd58 I'm not sure Rask is ready yet and although I agree Sutter could be a solution I'm not sure the Canes management sees it that way. Francis is right to identify the fourth line as a problem. Fourth lines are no longer throw away lines for successful teams. That line has to be able to add energy, shut down opposition and play on special teams. We really haven't had a quality 4th line since the Adam's days.

I'm a little surprised that we don't appear to be in a rush to add to out top 6 or D but its still early in the game. I think we still may be in store for a surprise or two.

We have 7.5M in cap to fill the following holes:

- 4th line forward

- 3rd line center

- 3rd line power forwatd

- resign Tlusty

- Sign a 2nd pairing d man.

This is impossible in my opinion.

It'd be nice to send Ward to Buffalo. They are probably gonna take on a couple bad contracts to reach the cap floor.

I ran into Ward at the DMB concert 2012 at PNC.  While we were talking, some dude with a buffalo hat was being rude to the beer girl, Ward made a comment about how everyone from buffalo is a D--- and we laughed.  Don't think he'll be waving his NTC to go there.

A little disappointed about Bellemore. I thought he played well for his first full season in the NHL and was really solid for the most part in the season. Per Capgeek, they say we have a potential of $11mil if we spend at the cap.

Possibilities?

Matt Niskanen or Christain Ehrhoff (too expensive)?

Ales Hemsky (too expensive)?

Brandon Sutter RFA ($3mil)?

Jussi Jokinen ($3.5mil)?

Edited by hopper915

We have 7.5M in cap to fill the following holes:

- 4th line forward

- 3rd line center

- 3rd line power forwatd

- resign Tlusty

- Sign a 2nd pairing d man.

This is impossible in my opinion.

I think we actually have 11.72M in cap space. Still will be difficult to achieve your wish list. But although I think we need a top 6 forward I'm not sure we are going to get one...but maybe.

- 4th line forward - definitely in the market

- 3rd line center - It will be Nash

- 3rd line power forwatd - Not gonna break up Skinner-Nash-Linddy IMO

- resign Tlusty - We will re-sign Tlusty but not for really big money IMO

- Sign a 2nd pairing d man. It appears RF is looking for a depth D and not a top pair

I really think we need a top 6 power forward. I don't know if we have the money or assets to achieve that. I hope we do.

Complicating everything is we don't know what PK is setting the budget at.

I think we actually have 11.72M in cap space. Still will be difficult to achieve your wish list. But although I think we need a top 6 forward I'm not sure we are going to get one...but maybe.

- 4th line forward - definitely in the market

- 3rd line center - It will be Nash

- 3rd line power forwatd - Not gonna break up Skinner-Nash-Linddy IMO

- resign Tlusty - We will re-sign Tlusty but not for really big money IMO

- Sign a 2nd pairing d man. It appears RF is looking for a depth D and not a top pair

I really think we need a top 6 power forward. I don't know if we have the money or assets to achieve that. I hope we do.

Complicating everything is we don't know what PK is setting the budget at.

If your projections are true, then we are going into next year with essentially the exact same team as last year.

Now I do think that if Tlusty can find his game, Lindholm continues to improve, Semin's wrist is better, E. come ready to play, this can be a much better team than last year. 

But come on Francis, we can't have our biggest on ice move be the firing of Ron the Ref.

Get us one solid piece up front. And one semi solid piece on the back.

We've got $11.72m left for 7 roster spots.  With most of them being role players, I figure an astute GM could squeeze in 2 impact players IF PK is willing to spend to the limit.  (notice the size of that if? it's a big one :lol: )

Edited by LakeLivin

I put it elsewhere, but go get back Radem Vrbata. Then find a nice solid middle of the road dman, a couple of 4th liners and call it a day.

It's all going to come down to what Peters and Francis can get out of basically the same team anyway.

Edited by remkin

Oops, I forgot about Tlusty.  If we could sign him at the qualifying offer, we're left with $10m for 6 roster spots.  Let's say 4 at an average of $850k each, leaves us with $6.6 for 2 impact players.  I could see us potentially icing a pretty sweet team if that actually came about.