The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

BTW 50 points in the NHL on a consistent basis is not easy to do. Bleacher Report, correctly, lists Vrbata as the #2 FA RW out there. This would not be a slouch signing if Francis could pick him up.

But come on Francis, we can't have our biggest on ice move be the firing of Ron the Ref.

Get us one solid piece up front. And one semi solid piece on the back.

I'm in complete agreement with you. To me that one solid piece up top is essential.

I like Vrbata, but if that doesn't work out, what about Setoguchi? Only 27 years old with a career PPG of 0.54.  Coming off a down year so his price should be down as well, and a change of scenery from the Peg might do wonders for him.

Edited by LakeLivin

My guess is you can forget about a top-6 guy in FA. 

With Manny gone we will be likely be forced into looking for a 4th line center that can kill penalties.  And not one so old he can't play up to 10 minutes a night.

Then we will sign a bottom-pairing type guy on defense for some depth to replace Bellemore.

Anybody heard anything on the RFA decisions?  Shouldn't be too long before we hear something since that has to get done today (i.e. qualifying).

Edited by coastal_caniac

Tom Gilbert for our D-man and I would say someone like Goc for our 4th line center.  Gleason would also make a solid 3rd pairing/depth d-man now that he is available.  He was bought out by the way.

Edited by bluedevil58

Who'd a thunk 3 months ago that Loktionov might turn out to be as important a piece as he could end up being?  I thought he was just a throw in on a salary dump.  If he were able to come back 100% for next season I could see him being an important piece. 

I have read Loktinov may want to return to the KHL. Even if we do qualify him he may not stay.

Dalpe won't be qualified by Van. Ex-Canes are not having a good day

Mute point, as Loktionov and Bowman won't be qualified.  Really no surprises there.  Loktionov is injured and we weren't going to sign him to more than a year anyway.  Bowman had his shot.

Edited by coastal_caniac

No surprise with Bowman. I was unsure if we would qualify Loktionov. I didn't think we would but thought there was a chance if his injury wasn't too severe.

Since we seem to have made our decisions at the NHL level. I suppose there is a chance Manny will test the FA market and still sign with us but I doubt it. I'm curious about Brett Sutter at the AHL level. I guess we are going to let him enter free agency?

I was thinking the same thing. It appears Francis and co. are trimming waste and  restocking.

Listened to the interview with Ronnie on The FAN. Nothing to be excited about regarding trades or Free Agent signings.

He tested the market for Ward. Said he didn't receive an offer that would make the team better, that right now, the team is better with Ward than without him.

Wants to add depth, therefore no major signings.

The reality is: PK is not likely to spend to the cap this year. So I would guess that any signings that Francis makes will be $1mil or less. And Francis isn't actively looking to trade anyone, but said that if another team made an offer that makes the team better he would take it. He basically said that Boychuk and Terry would be on the squad. So, fill two holes in your wish list with them, like it or not.

I know a lot of us aren't happy about it, but this is the way it is. The Canes will be a "budget" team until they SUSTAIN a certain level of success. One Cup and a Conference Finals run followed by 5 years of no playoffs isn't sustained success. Francis believes he can make this work with the core we have. I certainly believe the core of this team is good enough to be a playoff caliber team. Only time will tell.

I don't know about the budget team theme. 

With all the big contracts I'd say we are forced to be el-cheapo on our depth signings.  Even with those signings to fill out the roster,  I bet we are within a few million of the ceiling.  It's not like we are having to spend to get to the floor.

JR tried to set us up for winning now, and it didn't work, while putting the team against the cap.  But yeah, it is what it is.

Don't know about Terry, but I sure hope Boychuk can help the team.  Really need this guy to finally push through.

It will be interesting to me how McGinn looks in camp, but I really hope we don't rush the kid.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I can't think of any other reason to give Terry that contract then to signal we have all the confidence and expectations he will be with the Canes next season.

Sounds like they are taking care of him if they have the need at other positions due to injury and are up against the roster limit, and have a need to send him down.  But dadgum, have we ever payed anybody that to play for the Canes farm teams?  Somebody knows.  :huh:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thats a good question coastal. I sure don't know but I can't think of anyone. Your right, somebody knows!

What We Learned: The problem with NHL no-trade clauses | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

Basically the NTC is a form of el cheapo. Pay you less now, for a possible problem later. 

It certainly appears that no one is going to step up and offer anything for Ward anyway, but w/ a few more bucks a while ago, I think we probably could have E and Ward w/ no NTC's now. 

On Ward it is pretty apparent that the only way we get value is if he plays himself back into #1. But then will we trade him.....especially when he has......right, the NTC.

Sounds like they are taking care of him if they have the need at other positions due to injury and are up against the roster limit, and have a need to send him down.  But dadgum, have we ever payed anybody that to play for the Canes farm teams?  Somebody knows.  :huh:

Pete Dawg was in that position until all of the injuries last year.