The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

What We Learned: The problem with NHL no-trade clauses | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

Basically the NTC is a form of el cheapo. Pay you less now, for a possible problem later. 

It certainly appears that no one is going to step up and offer anything for Ward anyway, but w/ a few more bucks a while ago, I think we probably could have E and Ward w/ no NTC's now. 

On Ward it is pretty apparent that the only way we get value is if he plays himself back into #1. But then will we trade him.....especially when he has......right, the NTC.

Yeah, but JR was paying full market value and giving out NTC's.  That was my issue.  It's fine if you get a discount. 

It appears as though we better hope the coach and/or GM was the issue last year, cause we are probably going to have pretty much the same line-up to work with as in years past based on the reports and rumblings.  I just find it hard to believe that the same group (although different leadership) will achieve different results.  I sure hope I am wrong!! 

I don't know the cap. Can't be bothered. But Francis needs to come up with at least 2 free agents. Even if they are JR-type below the radar guys. I have been a major fan of Francis so far, but this is key. It starts today.

How do you fire up the fan base with this plan:  we're going to try the exact same team again. Except without Ruutu or his replacement. We'll backfill that with completely unproven AHL'ers. Second verse, same as the first, a little bit louder, and a little bit worse.

Unless the plan is to go for Conner McDavid next year.....

It's like PK is saying, "Yes, I really believe that it was injuries and bad goaltending last year. Yes, I really meant it when I said don't expect much this year."

Last year JR failed to pick up that last piece. Would it have mattered? Probably not last year, but it might this year.

Yes, most really good teams are built through the draft, but they almost all pick up a couple of key free agents also.

I don't know what it would cost, but get Radem Vrbata or someone else for the top 6 and get at least a middling dman.

Edited by remkin

Free Agency starts at noon. Do we rush out and sign that 4th line forward and depth D-man or casually stroll through the aisle looking for that marked down, bargain basement special.

Yeah, but JR was paying full market value and giving out NTC's.  That was my issue.  It's fine if you get a discount. 

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner.

This is part of the mistakes JR made. 

RF is going about this very cool and calculated.  He is looking to the future.  I'm sorry to say, but unless guys step up this next season, it could be tough.  Cap space/easier trade possibilities will be freeing next year.  RF's draft was not a here and now, but a future move.

I think this is what PK was saying about "patience."  We all just have to eat the last few seasons.  Perhaps the Muller signing was the worst move JR made in ages.  We *may* find out this season because it looks like Hammer has about the same crew to work with.

Edited by wxray1

Luke has it dead on. Pretty much fully agree with this article.

To me Francis has made all of the right moves to this point. But if he comes up dry on FA and trades and goes into next year with no improvments, his stock will fall FAST if the team struggles. Coming up dry in FA will lose a lot of my good will.

It's basically here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/30/3976411/decock-still-early-in-offseason.html?sp=/99/103/127/260/

We have no money though.  JR left this franchise in shambles by giving away draft picks like they were candy and also giving loaded contracts with NTCs out.  I am so mad at JR.  Look at our pipe line.  There isn't much.  Look at our D.  All of it has been built from trades and UFA for the most part.  Good teams build their blue line from the draft.  We have not done that and that is the very reason why we have sucked the past 5 years.  JR blew all the money, got desperate, and went for the win now team.  It didn't work.  It will take 2-4 years to get things back to semi normal.  Expect 2 more losing seasons.

I hope today is a good day for the Canes and its fans. We need a boost and so far Francis has done some great things, trimming the fat in Char. etc. I have been away for a bit and maybe missed this but why have we not used a single compliance buyout?

I mean I assume once bought out a team is not eligible to resign that player at a more reasonable rate but even still this is a great FA market to be in for us, this is what we have been looking for for years in terms of a market, tons of hidden gems and under the radar guys who could easily fill spots but we may be held back by a few of the large contacts.

Also saw Derek Mackenzie is available, hear he is good on the draw and has a bit of grit, any thoughts? Depth guy that could be had cheap? Same goes for Cory Sarich on D.

This market is unlike ones we have seen in recent years due to the Buyouts and so on we need to strike and pick up some nice depth and puzzle pieces.

Lets Go Canes and long live Ron Francis!

Rem, you said yourself you can't be worried about the cap.  Well, I'd say you and Luke need to go to capgeek and do your homework before threatening Francis with sitting on his hands.  I usually agree with Luke, but not this time.

JR left a mess, and I don't know how any reasonable fan can expect a major turnover in a year with this core and it's big contracts in place.

If he went total rebuild, I could imagine what Luke and the fans would be saying.

The first step here is to change everything about this franchise's culture.  All of it.  IMO that's what Francis is attempting to do.  It's going to take time.

I expect this team to be extremely hard workers and win at home.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If it is that stark financially, then we should have bought Cam out. Right now adding a key piece up front and a back up goalie from the goalie glut, would be better than nothing. What happened to the Ruutu money? There is no money to add anyone?

I like Francis not hitting the panic button, but another losing season this year with no attempt to do anything outside of coaching? Tough pill to swallow. Maybe he has a long plan and if it works I'll be there to congratulate him, but if it doesn't? Not sure how much I can take.

Can we fit a guy like Radem Vrbata under the cap? If so, go do it.

Edited by remkin

I don't think so Rem.  We're going to have to rely on guys like Terry and Boychuck to add some scoring this season.  The main priority from the looks of it is a 4C/Forward and a depth d man.  That is pretty much what you can expect.  Along with some AHL signings.  As for the AHL signings:  Bigger and Stronger should be the name of the game.  Bring in guys that are physical and know how to work the boards.

With Boychuk and Terry in the lineup, and Tlusty signed at 2-mil (projected), here's how dire it is.  I threw in R. Vrbata, a fourth line center and Anton Stralman (guesstimating their projected salaries) and we have about 1 million left in cap space.  I'm understanding PK has an internal budget of about 65 million but I don't see that's possible without dropping Vrbata or Stralman.  Note:  I just used some names who were available as UFA's and I'm not suggesting we sign those particular players.  Just using them as examples of the types of players RF mentioned he was looking to add.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
Coastal's Canes
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($2.000m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Elias Lindholm ($0.925m)
Nathan Gerbe ($1.750m) / Riley Nash ($0.575m) / Radim Vrbata ($3.000m)
Zach Boychuk ($0.605m) / . FA Center ($1.500m) / Chris Terry ($0.600m)
Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($4.833m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Ron Hainsey ($2.833m) / Anton Stralman ($2.700m)
John-Michael Liles ($3.875m) / Ryan Murphy ($0.863m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Anton Khudobin ($2.250m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.38% of upper limit)
Tuomo Ruutu ($0.950m—20.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,685,000; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,315,000

Edited by coastal_caniac

I do think that Boychuk could surprise if given a real chance, and I do think that this team is much better than they showed last year, but it would feel much better if we could add at least one piece.

It just sucks that Cam is viewed so badly at his salary that we would have to give up assest AND Cam to give him away.

Compliance buyout might have been the way to go.

Of course we'd have to lure a significant FA here to make that worth it.

Edited by remkin

Coastal,

Would you have bought Cam out? Make a one sided trade to dump salary?

I assume we have to fit Tlusty in there.

I understand that JR boxed us in. Is there any way out?

I wouldn't have bought Cam out.  If we could trade him for a bag of pucks, I would do it.  Mainly to accelerate a change in culture.  I don't have any problems keeping him if there's not a deal to be had, or if we had to retain any salary.  Hopefully, he improves his consistency, remains healthy, and his value is up the next time an opportunity arises.

The way out is rebuild.  That's not going to happen in one big sweep of the broom.  So, the way out is time.  Time to let RF put his organizational vision in place, while he whittles away at what will be our core in 2 years.

Just the way I see it. 

That doesn't mean we can't begin to change the culture here.  Be a hard working team that will do anything to win.  Win at home.

Edited by coastal_caniac

In a perfect world (where internal budget wasn't an issue and it was just cap concerns that counted), I would have wanted to see Ward and Liles as compliance buy outs.  That would have freed up 10 million in cap dollars and shown that it is time to change the mentality around the PNC Center.  Since it is more about real dollars than cap dollars, PK is going to make us pay for JR's sins.

The cupboard is bare.  There is little wiggle room dollar wise.  I'd have to say that RF has his hands full to right this ship.  The only good thing is that because the cap came in a little lower than expected, the scraps may be looking for a landing spot sooner rather than later.  There are going to be a lot of guys looking for a chair when the music stops.

Let's hope two things.

One that this team is indeed far better than they played last year. I think they are. And that a new coach and renewed buy in by certain players, maybe a bit healhier gets a better return. It is possible. This team has had some very good stretches.

The other is that as time passes, trades become possible, especially Ward.

I guess Francis has few options in FA.

In a perfect world (where internal budget wasn't an issue and it was just cap concerns that counted), I would have wanted to see Ward and Liles as compliance buy outs.  That would have freed up 10 million in cap dollars and shown that it is time to change the mentality around the PNC Center.  Since it is more about real dollars than cap dollars, PK is going to make us pay for JR's sins.

The cupboard is bare.  There is little wiggle room dollar wise.  I'd have to say that RF has his hands full to right this ship.  The only good thing is that because the cap came in a little lower than expected, the scraps may be looking for a landing spot sooner rather than later.  There are going to be a lot of guys looking for a chair when the music stops.

Thanks s_d. You saved me some typing.

rem, on multiple occasions we outplayed some of the best teams in the league last year.  I for one believe that with the right adjustments (if I only knew what they are!), we have the talent to do much better than last year. 

Let's hope two things.

One that this team is indeed far better than they played last year. I think they are. And that a new coach and renewed buy in by certain players, maybe a bit healhier gets a better return. It is possible. This team has had some very good stretches.

The other is that as time passes, trades become possible, especially Ward.

I guess Francis has few options in FA.

Edited by LakeLivin

Jussi to the Panthers. Terms unknown.

We signed Brad Malone.

“Brad is a big, physical forward,” said Francis. “He can play either center or wing and helps improve our team’s depth up front.”

Malone, 25, appeared in 32 regular season games for the Colorado Avalanche in 2013-14, totaling three goals, two assists (5 points) and 23 penalty minutes. The Miramichi, N.B., native also made his Stanley Cup playoff debut, skating in six of the Avalanche’s seven games during their opening-round series against Minnesota. Malone (6’2”, 207 lbs.) tallied 15 points (8g, 7a) and 75 penalty minutes in 35 games for Lake Erie of the American Hockey League (AHL) before being recalled by Colorado for the balance of the season on March 10.

Colorado’s fifth selection, 105th overall, in the fourth round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Malone has totaled four goals, five assists (9 points) and 39 penalty minutes in 54 career NHL games with the Avalanche. He has played 165 career AHL games with Lake Erie, notching 29 goals, 46 assists (75 points) and 263 penalty minutes. Prior to turning professional, Malone played four seasons for the University of North Dakota, helping the Fighting Sioux capture the WCHA regular-season and playoff championships and reach the Frozen Four during his senior year

Edited by hopper915