The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

Let me guess....

......season ticket holder sales aren't acceptable or something of that nature while sending a message that if you don't have season tickets to a losing product you are part of the problem.....

click.....dialtone

I'm picking up a faint whiff of: "We don't necessarily like our group, but what can we do about it?".

Well we are handcuffed by the NTCs(although we're about average vs. the League in that regard).  Got to suck it up for 2 more years, before we can makes some changes.

Teams are handing out crazy contracts in the EAst.  I am actually kind of glad we have not signed a sought after player.  5.5m for 5 years for Orpik?  Are you kidding me?  I hate to say it but suddenly Francis not doing much isn't looking so bad.

Well, we already spent that kind of cash(Staal squared, Ward, Semin).

Dustin Penner and Michael Del Zotto could be two cheap guys to bring in.

Del Zotto is still young, I think he could turn it around with a new team.

Penner won't be cheap. Francis just spent nearly $3mil on a player that has only scored 20 goals ONCE in his career, and his best season was a whopping 38 points. Penner will probably get the same money as Tlusty, and while Penner hasn't been great in recent seasons, his career numbers are better than Tlusty's.

I guess maybe the fact that so many teams are overpaying for their Free Agents, the Tlusty signing isn't THAT bad.

As to our "Grossly" overpaid players: Eric got a massive contract after putting up 100 points in a season. Ward got his massive contract after putting up great numbers and winning The Conn Smythe. At the time I thought the contract J. Staal got was reasonable. My point is, most of the Canes' huge contracts were based on performances that could warrant the kind of money they're making. Unfortunately almost none of them are earning them NOW. But was Tlusty's contract based on past performance, or the possibility of losing him for nothing?

I had always thought of the NTC as a reward, along the lines of frosting on a cake, for years of service to a team. Maybe not the guy who gets all the press, maybe not the latest flash in the pan. The guy that punches in every day, may have a few quirks or superstitions about how he gets ready for game time, but once the puck drops he is all business. Not out of position and rarely gets beat to the spot on the ice where he needs to be. Willing to take a penalty to stand up for a team mate and would be embarrassed to mouth off an official or a coach. Basically a stand up guy on and off the ice. Has paid his dues through good and bad teams. Not his last contract, but probably his next to last. The guy not easily recognizable to the general public but brings a smile to a fan upon meeting them in public. The guy who is proud to be part of the team and whose fans are proud to have them in their community. 

Has the league abused the NTC for those flashes and the hired guns bought for instant glory. Have we lost the guy who plays not only for money but also for the thrill of playing. The guy who laces them up just because he's living the childhood dream.

Are these guys still out there? 

Again, I am underwhelmed at the beginning of FA signing.  Looking at the transaction list, I believe that maybe besides LA, we had the fewest transactions.  Florida, Washington, Pitt, Buffalo, etc were all busy.

It looks like another season finishing out of the playoffs.  If so, its my last season as an STH.

I had always thought of the NTC as a reward, along the lines of frosting on a cake, for years of service to a team. Maybe not the guy who gets all the press, maybe not the latest flash in the pan. The guy that punches in every day, may have a few quirks or superstitions about how he gets ready for game time, but once the puck drops he is all business. Not out of position and rarely gets beat to the spot on the ice where he needs to be. Willing to take a penalty to stand up for a team mate and would be embarrassed to mouth off an official or a coach. Basically a stand up guy on and off the ice. Has paid his dues through good and bad teams. Not his last contract, but probably his next to last. The guy not easily recognizable to the general public but brings a smile to a fan upon meeting them in public. The guy who is proud to be part of the team and whose fans are proud to have them in their community. 

Has the league abused the NTC for those flashes and the hired guns bought for instant glory. Have we lost the guy who plays not only for money but also for the thrill of playing. The guy who laces them up just because he's living the childhood dream.

Are these guys still out there? 

Well, I know of one who just signed with Montreal for $850k. :)

As far as NTCs, I suspect they're often just another contract benefit that players will try to get if they can.  Even if they don't anticipate needing one, why not add potential leverage for down the road if it ever comes to that?  What I anticipate for the future is that instead of full NTCs, more teams will start to grant partial NTCs (e.g., player can list 10 teams he won't go to ).  

go_canes_go, A question for you,. And please don't misunderstand my intent. Do you consider making a few "flashy signings", in this obviously overpriced frenzy the catalyst to getting this team on track to being a consistent player in the post season? To me, I would much rather be frugal now, and work out the underperformance problems that appeared to surface last season, for whatever reason, than to throw good money away.

IMHO, the key to this next season will be the shared mindset of our new GM and this new, apparent hard core coach. If the 2 of them have each others backs, I get the feeling that it's "shape up or ship out" time at the PNC arena.

'

go_canes_go, A question for you,. And please don't misunderstand my intent. Do you consider making a few "flashy signings", in this obviously overpriced frenzy the catalyst to getting this team on track to being a consistent player in the post season? To me, I would much rather be frugal now, and work out the underperformance problems that appeared to surface last season, for whatever reason, than to throw good money away.

IMHO, the key to this next season will be the shared mindset of our new GM and this new, apparent hard core coach. If the 2 of them have each others backs, I get the feeling that it's "shape up or ship out" time at the PNC arena.

'

We're still putting the same team (actually a less experienced team with less leadership) out there and expecting different results. We are going to rely on prospects to pitch in and contribute, which nearly never happens in our organization. I can easily understand the frustration. I see what Francis is trying to do, and it's what needs to be done. But at the same time they're trying to sell the same product to fans who have seen said product fail time and time again since 2009. Are we trying to make the playoffs, or are we doing a season long evaluation of the current roster to see what changes need to be made with Peters at the helm? Will Peters be enough to turn things around? Possibly, and personally I think he'll have a rather large impact, but to put it all on him and his coaching staff isn't fair either. The team lost a huge role player in Malholtra, and it doesn't look like we're looking to replace him. Who is going to take his role of the leader and teacher on the ice? 

We're still putting the same team (actually a less experienced team with less leadership) out there and expecting different results. We are going to rely on prospects to pitch in and contribute, which nearly never happens in our organization. I can easily understand the frustration. I see what Francis is trying to do, and it's what needs to be done. But at the same time they're trying to sell the same product to fans who have seen said product fail time and time again since 2009. Are we trying to make the playoffs, or are we doing a season long evaluation of the current roster to see what changes need to be made with Peters at the helm? Will Peters be enough to turn things around? Possibly, and personally I think he'll have a rather large impact, but to put it all on him and his coaching staff isn't fair either. The team lost a huge role player in Malholtra, and it doesn't look like we're looking to replace him. Who is going to take his role of the leader and teacher on the ice? 

Yeah, I see this as the first mistake the new administration has made imo and it appears that both you and Kjun agree.  And the  fact that the Canadians snapped Manny up so quickly seems like a pretty strong validation of our perspective; they didn't sign him just for his on ice skills.  :(

Edited by LakeLivin

go_canes_go, A question for you,.

Kjun; a question for you:  you reached Veteran status a while ago. When are you going to get your own personalized avatar?  :)

Given our situation, would it not have made more sense to sign Maholtra (assuming he was willing to stay here) at $850,000 than to sign Tlusty at $2.95 million?  I just don't see the value in the Tlusty signing.  If anything, Tlusty would have been priced more accurately at the $850,000.  I understand we cannot move players and that we are on a tight budget, but that really surprised me that they paid him that much for one year and let Maholtra walk with what he brings to the table in leadership and faceoffs.

Kjun; a question for you:  you reached Veteran status a while ago. When are you going to get your own personalized avatar?  :)

Kjun is following the leadership of the Canes, one E. Staal, and going invisible for now.  :)

Just kidding.  As for leadership, one would suspect that RF and E. had "a talk" amongst the 3 times he spoke with him already.  You know, reaffirming stuff like he is the team leader and has to act like it, etc.  We shall see.

As for Manny, I loved the guy too.  But we have no insight into his trail off at the end of the season.  The team management does.  We also have little information on him getting closer to home.  This can play a factor. These guys are human, you know.

Lots of interesting fodder in the utter lack of interesting free agency news. I guess the cap has Ronnie penned in, but less is more is a tough sell right now. Going into last year we had the current team and reason to believe that Ruutu would contribute significantly. Am I missing something? I completely see the same team different results argument, and I'm someone who expected far more from that team last year. But subtracting Ruutu/Lotkionov and hoping for Boychuck v7 and a new coach to get us to the promised land is not the most inspiring thing I've heard, especially as I watch other teams get better.

That said, Tlusty is tradable probably. And I do believe that Francis is making disciplined decisions with a weak hand. 

We have a slew of underperforming guys eating up our cap space. No team can win with that. There are two possible solutions: move those guys or get them to stop underperforming. The problem with trade those guys is that every GM that has any interest wants a one sided deal. I mean we give up our #7 overall pick AND Cam Ward, just to get the cap space? Same w/ Eric. Want to see what teams get for stars they are boxed into trading? Look what teams got for Spezza and Kessler. That's what would happen to us.

BTW that's just one downside of these NTC's. The other is that the specter of trading some underperforming guy to some undesirable place IS a motivator. NTC neuters that. Francis can't threaten to trade Eric or Jordan, especially to a team they don't want to go to. So in the end....fire the coach, again. 

On Tlusty. I think that we got it right. Over the past 3 seasons combined Tlsuty has put up .53 ppg. But it's really a bit better because at his best he's a goal scorer which are more valuable points. Over the past two seasons he has been .57 ppg. That's just under 50 points for a full season. Personally, I think Tlusty will be a 25-30 goal scorer. But if not, it's a one year deal. I bet we end up paying more to keep him. Plus he does all the little things and is a good teammate from all accounts.

Bottom line, right now our overpaid guys are all worth more to keep and try to bring them up than to give them away in salary dumps.

Not very exciting, but there it is.

Lake and wXray1, 1st answer, and thanks for noticing, I'm still looking for a Giant Crawfish to post for my avatar!! Seriously, I am tremendously computer challenged, so despite one of you giving me instructions on "how to post an avatar", still am intimidated.

And Lake, you know I agree totally with you regarding Manny. so enough said.

Finally, my thoughts about the dirth of moves yesterday by this team, and why I am hopeful for the coming year, despite the appearance of "the same personnel as last year". As I look back on the last several years, the thought has occurred to me as I'm sure to several of you, that some, if not a large part of our ineptitude was due to system-wide dysfunction. I am hopeful that with apparent "changing of the guard", that management and coaching act in concert, something that I feel was lacking for the past several years. Thus, in my opinion, Rutherford often personalized his players, as evidenced by the frequent referral that many of us had to "recycling". Early on, I naively thought that this unbridled fondness was a formula to attract and keep otherwise critical players. But, as I have reanalyzed my thoughts, it now appears that those feelings could actually fragment team unity, which I believe happened along the way.

So, with those thoughts in mind, I hope that coaching decisions, backed by the GM can act as a catalyst to get all players on the same page. As many on these boards have observed, there is talent on this team, and I think, if unified, can be the difference between a mediocre season and one that gets into the playoffs.

Also, I still think, that once the dust settles, that Ron will make a few moves, in much more rational atmosphere.

Bobby Sanguinetti signed by Vancouver.

Honestly, I didn't think this guy would ever make it back to the NHL after going to the KHL.

Eklund says we are interested in Mikhail Grabovski.

It probably won't happen but if it did, what would our center depth chart look like? Eric/Jordan/Grabovski/Nash?

Like the McClement signing, assuming he's our fourth line center and our #1 PK'r.  Sounds like he's over his head as 3C, and doesn't bring any offense.  Great on faceoffs.  With Dwyer, maybe he and Malone can take some D pressure off of Jordan and his line.

Good job RF. 

'

I'm not looking for flashy. I'm looking for something that shows that the brass really isn't happy with the team, even they have stated on a few occasions that they are happy. I've been a STH since '99, so I don't take this decision lightly.

It appears we replaced Manny. McClement should be able to adequately handle 4th line and take faceoffs in some crucial situations. I would guess our 4th line is set, at least on the chalk board.

Not that familiar with Grabovski. Overall (offense, defense, PK, PP), how does he compare with Jordan? At $5 million per, even if we could have afforded him, he would have to be 1st or 2nd line, meaning one of the Staals would be moving to wing or leaving town.