The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

Wow...nah, he signed with the Nucks for 2yr @ 5m per. Suckers. Unless they plan on needing mucho shoot outs, I don't see the value there. Another very nice pass by RF.

So, go_canes_go, your conclusion, based on the observation that the "brass" didn't choose to throw good money after bad during the hyperinflated 1st day of free agency, is that "they are happy with the team"? Because they make Public Statements to that effect, doesn't necessarily equate that these are their private feelings, does it? As I see it, admitting publicly that he is dissatisfied with his players does 2 things for RF.

1st, outwardly criticizing his team, even indirectly, prior to the season, surely doesn't communicate very positive feelings to this obviously fragile group. Don't you think it much better to spread positive feelings at this time?

2nd, if RF appears to be dealing from a position of weakness, as in a panic mode of "having to add players", don't you think that drives prices up?

So, go_canes_go, your conclusion, based on the observation that the "brass" didn't choose to throw good money after bad during the hyperinflated 1st day of free agency, is that "they are happy with the team"? Because they make Public Statements to that effect, doesn't necessarily equate that these are their private feelings, does it? As I see it, admitting publicly that he is dissatisfied with his players does 2 things for RF.

1st, outwardly criticizing his team, even indirectly, prior to the season, surely doesn't communicate very positive feelings to this obviously fragile group. Don't you think it much better to spread positive feelings at this time?

2nd, if RF appears to be dealing from a position of weakness, as in a panic mode of "having to add players", don't you think that drives prices up?

I'm sorry, but the players and staff are adults and profesionals. I don't think negative feelings will affect this "fragile group".

So we have 17 players on the roster at the NHL level leaving us about 7 million in cap space. If you add Terry, Boychuk and Murphy a rough estimate leaves us 5 million and some change to add a depth D-man and two other roster spots. I guess I might need to wait a little to get that other top 6 forward.

Francis is putting together his team. Some people are bound not to like it. I believe he's signing free agents, with a very low budget (apparently) methodically. In my opinion, this is where a GM really makes his mark. I love big fish free agent signings as much as anyone, but it seems pretty upfront and easy to do if you throw out the cash. Did Francis sign the two best players available? No. But he may have picked up the best players available at the price he was willing to pay and whom he felt would fit best.

Francis IS addressing needs, but maybe not the most glaring ones. He's added some size to the 4th line, and picked up a great faceoff guy with basically the same point production as Manny had.

OBXer: I'm assuming your calculations are correct because I'm too lazy to check myself, it looks like around 3 more $1mil or less signing ahead, unless we start counting prospects as on the team already. I think Francis will try to stay a couple of million dollars under the cap. I hope the rumor about The Canes talking with Tim Gleason aren't true. At his age, we're not going to see THE old Tim Gleason. We'll just see an old Tim Gleason.

I read some posts about McClement leaving Toronto and signing with Carolina. Granted... these are Leafs fans, but the overwhelming majority felt like this:

"This is an inexcusable mistake unless a serious replacement is brought in this offseason. I am sitting here in complete confusion as to how $1 million a year for the top faceoff man and goto penalty killer on a team struggling with defense and filling the Center spot would be ignored. To top that off this is one of their team leaders. I would be on the brink of being sick right now if I wasn't so used to this kind of shoddy General management under the Nonis regime."

Sounds like Ronnie could have also signed a guy for more than what he can do on the ice.

Francis is putting together his team. Some people are bound not to like it. I believe he's signing free agents, with a very low budget (apparently) methodically. In my opinion, this is where a GM really makes his mark. I love big fish free agent signings as much as anyone, but it seems pretty upfront and easy to do if you throw out the cash. Did Francis sign the two best players available? No. But he may have picked up the best players available at the price he was willing to pay and whom he felt would fit best.

Francis IS addressing needs, but maybe not the most glaring ones. He's added some size to the 4th line, and picked up a great faceoff guy with basically the same point production as Manny had.

OBXer: I'm assuming your calculations are correct because I'm too lazy to check myself, it looks like around 3 more $1mil or less signing ahead, unless we start counting prospects as on the team already. I think Francis will try to stay a couple of million dollars under the cap. I hope the rumor about The Canes talking with Tim Gleason aren't true. At his age, we're not going to see THE old Tim Gleason. We'll just see an old Tim Gleason.

I didn't check Murphy's contract so I'm really estimating. It is most likely we don't go with a 23 man roster that gives us a little more money to spend  but it is also likely we don't spend to the cap. Trades aren't out of the question over the summer and cap strapped teams will have pretty good players available. At the same time those teams won't be looking to take back salary.

I'm thinking we are riding mostly with the team we got.

I'm thinking this McClement signing is a good job to fill Malholtra's role, an upgrade at that. Wouldn't be surprised at a few minor league signings and a depth defenseman now.

No doubt the check book is lean with the off season moves. At least needs are being addressed instead of the usual smoke a mirror game. So far id say RF is doing just fine.. 

Gleason might not be a bad signing for what we need, especially at that price.  He may get his second wind and show up to play after a harsh reality check.  PREDICTION:  LaRose might get a sniff in the next couple weeks!! 

Gleason. Tim Gleason.  Timmy damn Gleason.  Really.

Curses.

We are actually going with this...

Faulk-Sekera

Hainsey-Liles

Harrison-Murphy-Gleason

Trade deadline should be interesting.

Edited by coastal_caniac

He is worth 1.2M.  This is a good signing.  Gleason isn't that bad.  His contract gave us all a sour taste.  Now that contract no longer exists.

With what RF had to work with (money wise) he did an outstanding job.  These are some very solid signings guys.

I agree with everyone saying RF is doing the best with what he has to work with.  I didn't expect us to get any big, flashy names, nor did I think most of them wanted to come here.  I wouldn't necessarily call us being in a "rebuilding" mode, but more a "changing the culture" mode, and that might take a couple of years.  It won't happen overnight.  I have low expectations for this next season, but as long as I see progress being made, I'll be happy.

And with him only having a one year deal, he will be motivated to play well and earn a better contract somewhere next year. 

So we give up a somewhat serviceable Bellemore for a washed up Gleason?  How is that a great signing?  Good value yes, an actual on-ice improvement, I say not.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Gleason loss a lot of his physicaliy after his concussion and after he and his wife had their baby. He's been tenative about his hits and slow.

While cheap, I think we could have landed someone else with that kind of money or at least gotten Bellemore back at something close to what we just signed Gleason for.

Looks like a culture of mediocracy. All these "great signings" are like changing your air filter. No upgrades, just part swaps.

Most were looking for a big name to come in making a statement that we're here and ready to move on. That hasn't happened....yet.

I can't say really that its a let down nor do I disagree with this strategy. I'd like to think that we are fillings holes but def not downgrading, and let the Hammer do his thing. Let him evaluate the team as a whole and get his input on players strengths and deficits before just grabbing an expensive piece to fill hole that may not quite fit.

None of these additions broke the bank or are bad deals. I say whatever happens with our current roster there'd be no regrets.

Edited by Whattausay

Bellemore also hasn't signed anywhere yet that I have seen, so he may be finding out he isn't worth as much as he thought.  Carolina may start looking better if they were willing to keep him, and I can't see why they wouldn't if the price is right.  I have to agree with whattausay, we haven't entered into any bad deals that we cannot recover from quickly or that will haunt us for several years, and I don't feel that we have downgraded.  We certainly can't say that about the last regime.

Curious signing. It will be interesting to see where Gleason is slotted and what role we expect of him. Another indicator that Francis thinks it was past management and coaching and not the players that are at the heart of our problem. Gleason obviously wants to be here and can play edgy. With a new defensive philosophy It could work out. Still a curious signing!

One thing about Gleason being moved and brought back could be where the team asked him to take one for the team and go to Toronto with the understanding that you can come back but at a discount.

As far as looking for that huge FA being brought in. We saw a lot of team's overpaying for players they signed when FA opened. Niskanen and Orpik are definitely overpaid in DC. Francis is taking a more practical approach THIS season.