The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Buyouts and FA signings

I thought I recalled the same thing OBX. That Timmy wasn't digging our system and wanted out or wasn't putting forth the effort. Seems like that may have been the situation with other players, just speculation. I wonder if it was actually him calling us.

So we give up a somewhat serviceable Bellemore for a washed up Gleason?  How is that a great signing?  Good value yes, an actual on-ice improvement, I say not.

You're making the assumption that Bellemore wanted to signed here or was worth what he is expecting to make.

Gleason. Tim Gleason.  Timmy damn Gleason.  Really.

Curses.

We are actually going with this...

Faulk-Sekera

Hainsey-Liles

Harrison-Murphy-Gleason

Trade deadline should be interesting.

The 14/15 Canes could be the 13/14 Sabres.  "Everything must go, even the fixtures".

I know RF's hands are tied, but was a recycled Tim Gleason the way to go?  I would have hoped he would break from the past and go a new way.  It's going to be a tough sell.  I think we have an improved 4th line.  Peters is going to have to take last year's lemons and make lemonade with everything else.

Pulling the recycle card for Tim Gleason is not warranted.  He's not a washed up Aaron Ward and we are paying him very little for what he's worth.

Murphy simply isn't ready for full-time NHL minutes.  If you're in a gritty playoff game 7 type situation, who would you rather have:  Gleason or Murphy?  A boy or a man?

After the Maple Leafs trade, it was evident Gleason was back to his former glory.  He hasn't lost a step physically, and he showed that reliability we all took for granted out of him.

I'd also choose Gleason over Harrison any day of the week.  Not even close.

Pulling the recycle card for Tim Gleason is not warranted. 

Really?  Exactly how is it different from previous recycles?

I used to be as big of a Gleason fan as anyone in the building.  The "Grumpy Gleason" of seasons past isn't even visible in the rear view mirror.

So you negate the fact that you didn't like the previous Gleason due to his contract?  That was my biggest issue with him.  For 1.2M this is the best value d man that we could have hoped for.  Like it or not this was a very very very very good signing.  Would you be happier with an Orpik for 5M?

Pulling the recycle card for Tim Gleason is not warranted.  He's not a washed up Aaron Ward and we are paying him very little for what he's worth.

Murphy simply isn't ready for full-time NHL minutes.  If you're in a gritty playoff game 7 type situation, who would you rather have:  Gleason or Murphy?  A boy or a man?

After the Maple Leafs trade, it was evident Gleason was back to his former glory.  He hasn't lost a step physically, and he showed that reliability we all took for granted out of him.

I'd also choose Gleason over Harrison any day of the week.  Not even close.

I think Murphy will be a good NHL player, but I don't think they should just throw him into the fire. Gleason better than Harrison? Last year I would have said "not for the money they're paying Gleason." But the contract isn't bloated anymore. It's hard for me to criticize Francis for this move. I'm on record as saying Gleason is old now, but for one more year at this low salary, I'm willing to see if he has anything left in the tank. I also think this is a statement that Gleason wants to retire a Cane and retire in Raleigh.

I believe in Francis' mind, he believes he just got a second pairing defenseman for depth defenseman money.

Edited by ThaRaven

From Gleason:

"I know some people probably will look at me and say I'm over the hill or almost there, but I'm just 31. I want to prove to everybody that I can still do it and do it for a long time. I know I’ve got it in me."

Weird... it feels like he's talking to me....

So you negate the fact that you didn't like the previous Gleason due to his contract?  That was my biggest issue with him.  For 1.2M this is the best value d man that we could have hoped for.  Like it or not this was a very very very very good signing.  Would you be happier with an Orpik for 5M?

Did I mention Orpik?  Nope.

Gleason is this year's Komisarek, at twice the price.  It may work out, but the Canes cut him loose and then the Leafs cut him loose. 

You're making the assumption that Bellemore wanted to signed here or was worth what he is expecting to make.

I'm not arguing with you.  The fact you like the signing cements my opinion even more.

And besides, my point was to the defense as a whole. This current group is not improved with Gleason coming back.  It's actually the same group minus Bellemore, who, if you please, is not my favorite player either.

Get off my lawn.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm not arguing with you.  The fact you like the signing cements my opinion even more.

And besides, my point was to the defense as a whole. This current group is not improved with Gleason coming back.  It's actually the same group minus Bellemore, who, if you please, is not my favorite player either.

Get off my lawn.

It is not the same defense.  We now have Gleason and Liles.  We did not have that before.  I feel it is improved.  I don't see any other way we could have added a top 4 d man without not being able to  sign our 4th line acquisitions.

Well, we'll find out if it was Muller/system or the players/roster since this year's team is essentially last year's team, and the lockout season, too.  Those going and coming are basically swaps that net out.

Groundhog day, and right back to last year with a wait and see, show me, attitude.  Not buying, but willing to look.

We now have Gleason and Liles and Harrison and an unproven Ryan Murphy with Jordan as the first call up.

If anyone can spin that into an improved defense then go right ahead.  But, I've been saying it's going to take time, so...

Gleason is on the team now, and I'll support him.  RF wants the team to be harder to play against, and if Gleason can give us 1.2-mil worth of that for a year, then okay.  Give me some grumpy Gleason.

And looking at the roster on the main page, it appears Tim already has an "A".   

Edited by coastal_caniac

See Gleasons comment to Chip Alexander in the N&O - Basically " I hear Peters wants a strong work ethic and that appeals to me..."

Read between the lines on that as what it implies about last year in Carolina.

and for those drinking the Murphy Kool-Aid just keep in mind all of last years pre-season hype ended in a send down once the season was underway.  He has potential - but you can't change his physical size nor his lack of being able to play physically.  Once other teams realized that they just put a body on him and suddenly he was out of the play.  I was at about 34+ games and got to see them first hand.

When he (Murphy) learns to escape being slowed by a big body like St. Louis (Small) or Liles (Small) than maybe he will be a good 2nd line puck moving defenseman and he may just get there.  Right now hes hardly there in a mans league. 

Allow me to disagree on Murphy. He looked to me like he could hold his own. He has a lethal hip check, pretty good stick check, moves the puck well, skates well and I have seen him lay on some pretty good licks. He still has some learning to do at the big league level but I think he will be playing with the Canes if not out of training camp soon after.

I would agree that the defense is really not very improved, but the defense was serviceable last year in a very down year. We went up 10 spots on goals against with this defense. 

Look, I'm dang glad we picked Fleury for the future, but w/ that same cap problem, not sure what else we could have done this year. The moves just aren't there. 

I will take Gleason at his word that at 31 he is not washed up. As a bottom pairing guy, he should be ok. If he gets back into form the most we need is middle pair. That said, he did not have a good year last year. If that same Gleason shows up it will be a problem.

I am really enjoying the quite delicious Murphy Kool Aid. He is just now getting to the age where we can start to see what he can do as a defenseman, especially an undersized one.  I think it will be good, very good. 

Edited by remkin

I feel Murphy needs 1-2 years in the AHL for development no need to rush the kid. I don't know about JR after last season and watching Lindholm get checked and head to the dressing room during his first 30 games it made me kind of mad at how we develop our kids. We all saw this too. All of you know exactly what I am talking about.

Peters seemed to be really excited to work with Murphy.  He singled him out in his opening presser.  But, somebody has to have that kid's back, and demand payback for transgressions.  I hope we have those players that will do that.  If we do, and if Peters can coach him up, I'm drinking the kool-aid.

I'm ok with Francis signing Gleason. JR would be bringing back Corvo. This feels good by comparison. :thumbsup:

A bag of horse poop from across the street would be better than Corvo Round  V.

RF is restocking the Chex

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with center Ben Holmstrom on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Holmstrom $600,000 in the NHL or $200,000 in the American Hockey League (AHL) for the 2014-15 season.

“Ben has served as Adirondack’s team captain and brings more veteran leadership to our system,” said Francis.

Another guy I need to look up.

27 years old

Center

shoots right

6'1"- 180 lbs

RF is restocking the Chex

Another guy I need to look up.

27 years old

Center

shoots right

6'1"- 180 lbs

The Hockey News and ESPN both list him at 6'1" 197lbs.  Hopefully the latter are correct.

The Hockey News and ESPN both list him at 6'1" 197lbs.  Hopefully the latter are correct.

Maybe he has been eating well lately.

Maybe he has been eating well lately.

His numbers don't impress me at all!  Still trying to figure this one out...for me anyway!