The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Should Canes Go After Ehrhoff?

The potential upsides are obvious: low price (given his buyout), the presence of his old mates Sekera and Gerbs, and a proven top-4 D-man. 

Related, has anybody heard any news about Joni? Why does it feel to me like a compliance buyout is in the offing?

Joni isn't under contract.

Right. Duh. Thanks Dave.

Doubt we'll be able to afford him since we think it's a good idea to keep a goalie (most likely our backup goalie) around for over $6mil

I'm not convinced we need him, but have to wonder if his buyout makes him an affordable gamble for a year or two.

Ehrhoff would be wonderful, but I've read he'll likely get somewhere around a 5 yr, $25m contract. Out of our league, I'm afraid.

Btw, from what I've read, the main reason he was bought out was the way his contract was structured. Very front end loaded and very long term. After the changes in how cap is calculated after the last Players Agreement, it would have left the Slugs with an onerous cap hit down the road if he (likely) retired before the contract ended.