The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

If he stays on as President, he will still have a hand in the day-to-day decisions. We need a different direction all together! JR has done a lot for this organization and will always be remembered but, now is the time for new blood to step in and try a different direction.

Thanks for the memories, JR!!

Please go outside the box PK. Please. We need new eyeballs with no relationship ties to the players to come in and make whatever tough changes need to happen.

Also if JR is going to step down, PK what are you doing letting him sign more long term contracts your new GM might not want. Oh because it's going to be Francis...

Edited by legend-1

It may well be time for JR to step aside but it is always a little sad for me to see a leader like Rutherford perhaps having stayed too long be pushed aside. Hockey in Carolina owes a lot to Rutherford.

It may well be time for JR to step aside but it is always a little sad for me to see a leader like Rutherford perhaps having stayed too long be pushed aside. Hockey in Carolina owes a lot to Rutherford.

Couldn't agree more. I am thankful for hockey in Raleigh. JR and the organization, despite recent struggles, have really made an impact on the state and the league. Our small market has been home to the entry draft, the stanley cup, and the all-star game. And all of those events were memorable. The All-Star game was praised by everyone for being one of the best ever and on some level, I don't know if that happens without JR.

I like JR but I'm not against seeing what someone new can do. With that being said, I don't think Ron Francis is the best man for the job. He has been JR's right hand man for years now. He is in on the drafting, development, Contract signings more than anyone knows. So to me, not much will change if Ron takes over, A lot of the decisions everyones complaining about were made by Ron or Ron agreed on them with JR.

Wow. That's big news.

I have been a big JR fan, Really like him.

But if we're doing this, I agree w/ going outside. But I'd put even money on Francis.

Edit: ok after reading Chip's piece, much better than even money on Francis.

Edited by remkin

I guess it is "be careful what you ask for."  I agree, JR was key to hockey here.  I've only soured on him the last two years.  But now that it looks like he may move on, I'm nervous!

Perhaps Francis will get a chance to be his own guy.  Time will tell.

There's that rumor floating out there that JR may take on the GM job for Hockey Canada.  If so, he may not have a lot of time to meddle back here.

Thanks, JR, for helping to bring hockey to NC.

From Chip's article, it looks like Francis will be the guy. I'm willing to keep an open mind whatever direction they take on a new GM, but please, get us a new coach!

From Chip's article, it looks like Francis will be the guy. I'm willing to keep an open mind whatever direction they take on a new GM, but please, get us a new coach!

Please, please, please get us a new coach! 

Agree with what is being said. Look outside the organization. Replace the entire coaching staff. Great point about the All-Star game, it was applauded around the league as a great atmosphere/event.

Thanks for the memories/what you have done JR, but it is time.

Edited by Kyrule

I agree 100% - winning is more fun...I know that because dispite the past couple seasons we have seen "winning" in carolina -we have seen playoffs-we have seen the cup-the draft-an allstar game- Olympians ....has the last couple years been "fun" NO losing is never fun - but they have always kept it interesting ( 2 years last game win you're in) this might explain some of the inconsistent play from game to game...

JR if he does step down- is a smart guy...put a few building blocks in place -skinner/Murphey/Faulk/Doby/Jordan/tolchinski ...then step back and see what happens...

LETS GO "CAROLINA" HURRICANES -

Edited by Pkling40

Good for JR, stepping aside and NOT being fired.  I, too, see him in a positive light.  The All-Star Game, draft, etc was all his doing, he had to do the leg work and convincing behind closed doors.  We were lucky to have a great general manager like Rutherford.

My only regret about hearing the news - I wish the Canes would have had a more successful season for JR and send him off on a high note.  He deserved to leave as a Champion.  I really wanted to see him right the ship.

why now rather than at the end of the season? is this a move to sell season tickets for next season?   did enough STH complain they would not renew if he remained as GM?

Maybe everyone else including Chip, got his name wrong. 

I liked the idea of a strong, experienced GM coming in and JR staying on as President. But Francis, who presumably has been JR's protege, with JR as President? One wonders how much will change. Francis still answering to JR. 

I think if they go w/ Francis, JR has to step out completely. Stay on as owner, consultant, but not President.

Edited by remkin