The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

I agree he deserves a look, anyone leading the AHL in scoring should be able to put up 15-20 goals in the NHL you would think.  Maybe he's a late bloomer that is gonna kill it this year.

I have been on the give Boychuk a chance bandwagon for a while. 

Look at how long we have given Bowman a chance. 

That said, if we are to get bigger and "harder to play against", there are only so many Boychuk type players we can have. 

I think that's the irony for a guy like Boychuk: at his size he needs to be a pure scorer. But most scorers need a comfort zone, top 6 time, and are still streaky. So a Boychuk is told by coach after coach that the way you make the team is by back checking, being defensively responsible, mucking on the boards, etc. And starting out on the 4th line. Then through injury they might get one or two games on a top line. But if they don't light it up...back to the 4th line. But he's too small to be a 4th liner, he is a skill player....so back to the AHL.

But who do you take out of the top 6? Plus, don't we want to try to land a couple of key FA's? 

I would love to see what Boychuk could do with 20 games in the top 6, but I'm not so sure that happens.

I keep forgetting Bowman was on this team that's how unimpressive he's been. I'm not sure that kid would make any other NHL lineup but he sure sticks in ours.

I have been on the give Boychuk a chance bandwagon for a while. 

Look at how long we have given Bowman a chance. 

That said, if we are to get bigger and "harder to play against", there are only so many Boychuk type players we can have. 

I think that's the irony for a guy like Boychuk: at his size he needs to be a pure scorer. But most scorers need a comfort zone, top 6 time, and are still streaky. So a Boychuk is told by coach after coach that the way you make the team is by back checking, being defensively responsible, mucking on the boards, etc. And starting out on the 4th line. Then through injury they might get one or two games on a top line. But if they don't light it up...back to the 4th line. But he's too small to be a 4th liner, he is a skill player....so back to the AHL.

But who do you take out of the top 6? Plus, don't we want to try to land a couple of key FA's? 

I would love to see what Boychuk could do with 20 games in the top 6, but I'm not so sure that happens.

rem, re:your comment "only so many Boychuk type players we can have", some time ago, that was my meaning when I  opined that each of these smallish type players the Canes pick up, like Gerbe, Dwyer, Tolchinski,etc "undervalues" the others. Thus, as I see it, anyone of them could be the best pure scorer in the NHL, but as the team becomes top heavy with them, there is very little room for gritty types to offset the "smallish average"

rem, re:your comment "only so many Boychuk type players we can have", some time ago, that was my meaning when I  opined that each of these smallish type players the Canes pick up, like Gerbe, Dwyer, Tolchinski,etc "undervalues" the others. Thus, as I see it, anyone of them could be the best pure scorer in the NHL, but as the team becomes top heavy with them, there is very little room for gritty types to offset the "smallish average"

I will say this in Boychuk's defense. I really don't think "any one of them could be the best pure scorer in the NHL". Dwyer is a great roll player. He does all of the little things, etc. But he will never be a even a good scorer. Gerbe has more scoring upside than Dwyer, but really as a top 3rd line producer, not top 6.

Boychuk is a guy who could start to score seriously, or could flame out. He pretty much has to score 40 points to be worth having. But he could do it. Or he could be a liability. One or the other, not much middle ground.

Gerbe will probably never hit 40 points, but will contribute nicely in many ways on his way to 30. 

Do you take up a top 6 roster spot to see if Boychuk can do it? Gotta say no. Mainly because we should try to find better bigger options. Plus, I'd rather try Tlusty than Boychuk. So his only chance is to wait and see what might happen w/ injuries...again....

I guess I'm saying that Boychuk's upside is big, but his chance of hitting it is small, and he's small so he is less likely to get that chance to keep trying in the NHL because you don't want him if he isn't scoring.

I would like to see what Boychuk might be capable of at the NHL level, but I don't want to have him in our top 6...or bottom 6 at the start of the year....

Edited by remkin

Perhaps my wording was poor above, but I wasn't implying anyone of those I cited as a fantastic scorer, but hypothetically, even if they were, to overload with size challenged players undermines, IMHO, all of them.

Edited by KJUNKANE

cclifford10, I'm not sure I really buy this, or else my eyes like to me in real life? Not doubting you, and too lazy to verify, but I've been very impressed by the size differential between our players and our opponent during pregame warmups.

Of course, being a "hybrid team" with no real identity, as discussed ad nauseum on these boards, maybe my eyes just fixate on size as we really do not seem to evolve an "identity".

cclifford10, I'm not sure I really buy this, or else my eyes like to me in real life? Not doubting you, and too lazy to verify, but I've been very impressed by the size differential between our players and our opponent during pregame warmups.

Of course, being a "hybrid team" with no real identity, as discussed ad nauseum on these boards, maybe my eyes just fixate on size as we really do not seem to evolve an "identity".

one way to verify size/weight differnces is to print the second page on the rosters that are sent on game days

Gotta agree with the need for physicality with the size. We've had big guys who don't play at all physical, and small guys who throw the body. Ruutu was not a huge guy, but he threw some of the biggest hits I've seen. 

So, on that target, perhaps my favorite current prospect is lighting it up. This guy will be a Cane soon enough to renew some faith in our drafting. 

McGinn Eyes Memorial Cup to Cap Banner Season - Carolina Hurricanes - Tracking the Storm

He is not very big, but sure plays physical and fast and hard. And now he is lighting the lamp. 

At last year's prospect and training camps this was the guy to my eye that just "looked" like an NHL player, not size wise, but how he played. He plays bigger than his size.  He probably starts in Charlotte, but he will be up here soon, and I would not be shocked if he made the team.

The 20-year-old posted 43 goals and 42 assists (85 points) and a plus-46 rating in 58 games. (from Michael Smiths' article above)

Best I can tell his goals per game is top 5 in the OHL. And it's over 58 games, so enough sample size.

His team is stacked, but still. 

But the thing is, making the team is not just about scoring. Unless you're Jeff Skinner, you have to show some defense or hitting or both and you have to look good doing it. Based on how he looked last year, and now breaking out scoring to boot, he could check all those boxes and slip onto the team.

Can't wait to see this kid wearing the eye.

Edited by remkin

Over at CBC Sports some interesting snippets into Francis thoughts on Skinner, Staal and what to look for in a coach. Only snippets but a little insight into what he might be thinking. You have to scroll down the page to thought 14,15,16.

30 Thoughts by Elliotte Friedman

Does anyone else here feel Francis has to make a bold move around the draft? A move that puts his stamp on the team? This team is littered with toxic contracts IMO. Moving a Staal,Semin or Ward may be impossible but IMO somehow Francis has to make a bold and decisive move to change this team and set a tone for the future.

I think the biggest move possible would be if he could find some way to get something for Ward that sheds at least most of his salary and returns something meaningful to the team: defenseman, forward, first round pick. If he could swing a deal in the draft, this might kill a couple of birds with one stone. 

Most speculation is that we keep Cam to start, but it is almost always due to the fact that it is anticipated that he is dead weight and would return little, especially w/ a bunch of goalies out there. So it probably won't happen, but IF Francis could pull that off, (getting a decent return) it would be huge. That glut of goalies should allow us to find a decent back up at a reasonable price.

I wonder if Cam could be involved in a move up the draft board.

Edited by remkin

Guys, what I'm hoping will happen, re: Cam, is for RF to bring a fresh set of eyes(new goalie coach) who could refocus this guy, and he'd be off and running. I keep harping on this possibly little under the radar move that RF made with his wholesale sweep of dismissing the coaching staff(minus Brandy) and holding out hope that it pays big dividends?

On a semi-related front, have taken note that a few teams, Buffalo being one,t have also let go of their goalie coach. Am understanding that Tom Conklin is out there and wondering if he could be good in our system? I'm sure that several of you have other suggestions?

Its expected that we will try to deal Cam. We may not be able to but expected. I'm not really seeing the expected as a bold move. I'm not even suggesting what player moves we should make. What I'm thinking is Francis might need to do the unexpected. Something that gets everyone's attention. 

Maybe a big FA signing or trade, maybe a buyout, maybe trading away our first draft pick. I guess I'm asking does anyone think Francis has to make a "big" attention getting move around the draft to get the teams attention?

This I know coastal. My point though was that letting Stefan go would bring in a new Goalie Coach with some more dynamic approach to rejuvenate Cam, much akin to finding a Head Coach with fresher ideas to unlock the untapped potential of this team.

I still think Cam might have game. But we have issues that he is just in the way of right now. I agree we might have to keep him because Francis will not be offered a decent deal, but, if we do, we have a massively expensive, unhappy backup goalie. See how that's worked out in other places, Vancouver comes to mind. 

Cam already bad mouthed Kirk indirectly. Who knows how an unhappy camper Cam Ward is affecting the team. 

Best case, he finds his game, then we have a goalie controversy. Worst case he continues to be wildly inconsistent, and we have an even deader weight, drawing a massive salary. 

Plus, he is taking up some serious salary and we need to put that to use.

Thus, while it may be a very difficult thing to accomplish, the biggest move Francis can make outside of the right coach would be to pull off  a trade for Cam pre-season, that nets us something we need.

Don't get me wrong. If Francis gets offered a 5th rounder and a half eaten bagel, we are better off going into the year fairly deep at goal. Goalie injuries do seem to hit us more lately. But if a deal is there, and he could bring back a strong dman or move up the draft, or get another 1st rounder, etc....that would be a huge move.

Edited by remkin

rem, as usual, I completely agree with you on this, thus my comment "unlock the untapped potential". In my fondest dreams, Cam begins to show recovery to a level where he's been before, and some team with crucial goalie needs wil take the leap of faith. Thus, it would seem that this scenario cannot occur prior to draft, but only following his ability to show his wares on ice. Would some team take that much of a risk draft day or before, I truly doubt no matter how accomplished RF is as a salesman/charlatan?

I still think Cam might have game. But we have issues that he is just in the way of right now. I agree we might have to keep him because Francis will not be offered a decent deal, but, if we do, we have a massively expensive, unhappy backup goalie. See how that's worked out in other places, Vancouver comes to mind. 

Cam already bad mouthed Kirk indirectly. Who knows how an unhappy camper Cam Ward is affecting the team. 

Best case, he finds his game, then we have a goalie controversy. Worst case he continues to be wildly inconsistent, and we have an even deader weight, drawing a massive salary. 

Plus, he is taking up some serious salary and we need to put that to use.

Thus, while it may be a very difficult thing to accomplish, the biggest move Francis can make outside of the right coach would be to pull off  a trade for Cam pre-season, that nets us something we need.

Don't get me wrong. If Francis gets offered a 5th rounder and a half eaten bagel, we are better off going into the year fairly deep at goal. Goalie injuries do seem to hit us more lately. But if a deal is there, and he could bring back a strong dman or move up the draft, or get another 1st rounder, etc....that would be a huge move.

I also think that Ward might still have game as he played brilliantly at times last year. Unfortunately, he wasn't consistent.  I think we all agree that there's an issue as what becomes of Cam and my thoughts parallel yours (we're unlikely to get much in return right now and it doesn't make sense to just "throw him away").  

I wasn't sure how much of Ward's lack of comment regarding whether the team "wasn't responding to Kirk" was an indirect criticism of Mueller. I got the feeling that it might have been partly based on frustration because he got left out to dry quite a bit after he came back from IR the last time (as did Khudini) by a team that was supposed to be focused on defense this year. 

I wasn't sure how much of Ward's lack of comment regarding whether the team "wasn't responding to Kirk" was an indirect criticism of Mueller. I got the feeling that it might have been partly based on frustration because he got left out to dry quite a bit after he came back from IR the last time (as did Khudini) by a team that was supposed to be focused on defense this year. 

I suppose it could have been a criticism of the team. But if the team doesn't respond to the coach, it's the coach that goes, and Cam knew that when he chose to LOUDLY not comment. I have no idea what goes on in the locker room and the history on Cam isn't that he's a malcontent at all. But he's always also been the golden boy. Comes in, wins a cup and the Conn Smythe and was never ever challenged after that, really, until this year. How will he handle being the straight up back up? Cam and Eric are the only ones here who have seen 3 coaches get the axe. 

I'm really just wildly speculating here on the potential for him to become disgruntled though. The main thing is that much salary tied up in a back up, and what we might get for him and with the salary space. 

I will add this. I'm not sure how great of a back up Cam would be. Don't get me wrong, he should be very good (if not worth the $$ as a back up) but Cam has a tendency to let in soft goals and seems to need to play regularly to hit his max potential.

I think cam still has some game left,  Ronnie  has alot on his mind i bet, how about a top dman for  our number one pick?? :)