The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

dinz,I wish we could pull something like that, but doubt that a team would give up a proven D for a "shot in the dark" like a pick, no matter how high it is, would represent.

Put me in the "no" column on trading that 1st pick away. This organization needs to build a solid base, and a top 4 defenseman is going to cost too much in picks/prospects. Then you have to pay him, with what? Top tier defensemen rarely are traded and when they make it to UFA, back up the truck.

I think cam still has some game left,  Ronnie  has alot on his mind i bet, how about a top dman for  our number one pick?? :)

Even if somebody would make that trade, how would we pay the salary of a top d-man without moving a contract?

While the coach was speaking, RF quietly made an announcement about another front office hire:

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  2h

Francis also said Ricky Olczyk has been added to the Canes management team as an assistant GM.

Did a search and found he was the cap geek for Edmonton the last few years.  I.E., he is a lawyer and should be handling the ins and outs of the contracts and their cap hits.  Not sure that's what he'll do in Carolina.  I also hope he made all his mistakes in Edmonton, because the following find is slightly worrying.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/21/ricky-olczyk-fired-as-assistant-gm-of-edmonton-oilers-replaced-by-okc-barons-gm-bill-scott/

He replaces Ricky Olczyk, who has served the team for seven years, the past 4½ in the Assistant GM’s chair, where one of his primary functions was as the team’s capologist. Most of Olczyk’s work was far below the radar, although a handful of incidents – a misinterpretation of Gilbert Brule’s waiver eligibility, a misunderstanding of the deadline for signing Teemu Hartikainen, a botched recall of Magnus Paajarvi — happened on his watch. Soon after the latter of those, Craig MacTavish was hired as Senior VP of Hockey Operations, a role subsequently passed to Scott Howson when MacTavish took the General Manager’s chair.

This group can stay in contention if guys get back to career averages or better and a couple of young guys take a step forward.

That said, even with that, we need at least one more piece up front before it's all over and ideally on the back end also.

My hope is that the new coach and perhaps healthier more motivated group of guys bring our core up and a few key guys find some game (Nash, Boychuk, Lindholm) long enough for Cam to find his game enough to be traded. And of course the Khudini continues to be the man if we do trade Cam.

A lot of hope in there.

I'd feel so much better if we could add one more top 6 guy or even a really good top 9 vet.

Edited by remkin

If one significant injury happens to any of our D or top 6 we are wrecked.

Oh yes. Gotta still believe Francis is looking for a depth dman.

Bellemore and Komisarek were the depth.

Michael Jordan? He was notably below Bellemore last time. Hope one of the younger guys is ready to step up....

It's pretty clear we're standing pat. My guess is that if we're not in contention by the end of November we'll be having a fire sale, and will be in full rebuild mode. Let's hope the guys respond. 

Don't think so.  We have some good players, but we can't roll 4 good lines or 3 D pairings.  And God help us if we need to call anybody up for injuries.  When we have some cap space in 2 years, then we see what Ronnie can do.

Not exactly where to put these comments, after the first day of free agency.

I have been reading many Canes blogs all day and terms like lukewarm, unimpressed and unenthusiastic,

and even sarcastic come to mind as to the general feel of fan comments today; So I have some thoughts.

A year two ago, when we made some "splashes" (signing J Staal,Semin) everyone was happy. Where did

that get us? This year is different, however. We are quietly watching a complete overhaul of the workings within

the organization, including some strategic planning for the future in drafting etc. The new men in charge are young,

bright and apparently doing some analytical thinking. Our new GM shows no player favoritism and expects player

performance. The new coach will likely be allowed the latitude to use his "hammer" of ice time where needed

and he  sees potential and necessary skill which can be improved upon within "our group".

So I say let's cut them some slack, see what 1-2 missing pieces they get over the summer-------and be a little

more hopeful as we look toward next season. If the team is still headed in the wrong direction by mid season,

we will know it. Then we can pounce !  :thumbsup2:

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Not exactly where to put these comments, after the first day of free agency.

I have been reading many Canes blogs all day and terms like lukewarm, unimpressed and unenthusiastic,

and even sarcastic come to mind as to the general feel of fan comments today; So I have some thoughts.

For me, it's mostly bored.  It would be nice to see RF try to fill at least one hole with a quality UFA.  I wasn't expecting a "splash" signing, but I can't feel like the nerd standing on the wall at the dance watching everybody else have fun.

For me, it's mostly bored.  It would be nice to see RF try to fill at least one hole with a quality UFA.  I wasn't expecting a "splash" signing, but I can't feel like the nerd standing on the wall at the dance watching everybody else have fun.

I totally agree with that feeling. I think Francis did fill a small hole at 4th line center by adding Malone. Far from a "quality" signing, but it does add some size down the middle. I do believe Francis will add a depth defenseman AND forward, but looking at the size of these contracts, it seems unlikely that Francis could add even a top 9 forward for less than $3 mill a season, and we still don't know how much money he has to work with.

So, Francis will probably let teams overpay until the FA pool is filled with underachievers and/or players that are still Free Agents because teams have spent to the cap. Because of this, I happen to think that Francis' best chance to add a quality player is to pull a trade with a cap strapped team.

I would honestly rather have sat on the sidelines than paid what the Caps paid on their defensive signings.  With so many teams being pushed up against the cap, I think that some players are going to start looking for a landing spot pretty soon so they aren't left without a spot when the music stops.

Edited by super_dave_1

I would honestly rather have sat on the sidelines than paid what the Caps paid on their defensive signings.

Agreed. Especially Orpik.. 33 and gets 5 years at 5.5 per? Desperate much, Washington?

UNCCaniac8, thanks for interjecting some sobering thoughts into the annual frenzy that surrounds the wholesale shopping spree at this juncture of the year. For me personally, it's very difficult not to be swept up by the tidal wave of window shopping that heralds this period, but you are absolutely correct to suggest that we, as fans of this team, pull back a little from the at times "sarcastic" criticisms.

Further, I just wonder if reactionary expenditure of monies during this frenzy might have been a further setback to this franchise?

Still, with that said, I admit that after 5 years of frustrations, I had a very difficult time being "patient"!!

Don't forget that Chicago and Philly are over the cap already and a lot of teams are close (Washington and Boston). Patience could land us some solid players. Let the other teams overspend...6.5 mil for Vanek; 4 mil for Pouliot; 6 mil for Miller. Those are gaudy numbers.

Adding on Orpik got 5 years, 27 mil from the Caps...yeesh.

Edited by Law-Dawg

I think Ronnie made a great choice in sitting back to see what happens. There were a lot of UFA's signed yesterday for big contracts and now we have chances for potential trades to help them get under cap.

Still available UFAs:

Vrbata

Whitney

Samuelsson

Bertuzzi

Heatley

Carcillo

Penner

...to name a few!

Ronnie still has time to work some deals and with his stature, who knows what he can do!  First year as GM, I think we are going to be fine! (IMHO)

Edited by Caniac5

Well I still want Vrbata, but he is apparently holding out for more $ than some think he will get.

I put it in another thread, but at the end of the day Francis is playing the hand he has been dealt. We don't have the cap room to make a big move due to big contracts for guys underperforming, but GM"s will only take those guys if we let them fleece us, so at this point the percentage bet is to stand pat and hope that a new coaching regime can bring our boys back to productivity, or at least tradability.

Doesn't make this part easy to sit through though.

Agree with you, Remkin!

Well I still want Vrbata, but he is apparently holding out for more $ than some think he will get.

I put it in another thread, but at the end of the day Francis is playing the hand he has been dealt. We don't have the cap room to make a big move due to big contracts for guys underperforming, but GM"s will only take those guys if we let them fleece us, so at this point the percentage bet is to stand pat and hope that a new coaching regime can bring our boys back to productivity, or at least tradability.

Doesn't make this part easy to sit through though.

Agree with you!!

I second that. Goes along with playin it smart, not playing it safe. We've all said it doesn't make sense with this roster to be so horrible year in and year out and that something somewhere is wrong. Well, everything but the roster(mostly) has been flipped.

I love my old truck. I don't want to go out and get $500 on a trade in and finance a new $30000 truck then be tied down with a payment and all that. Get a new motor and a drive train tune up and let'er rip!!!

Edited by Whattausay

I choose to be optimistic. We spent big bucks for big name players the last 2 years, and did not reach the playoffs. Perhaps we can with new coaching and management from top to bottom, but if we do not, we are focusing now (I believe) on keeping our young core while some of the large contracts wind down. Then we will have more flexibility to make serious changes if warranted.

For now, let's see what a much needed culture change does come October. Can't wait.

Orpick signing ridiculous!  Jokinen Signing ridiculous!  Way to go Jussi, bring that value up and make that money, I guranteed he won't be putting up more than 40-50points tops in Florida.