The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

rem, That brings up the question I just finished asking on the other thread. With us approaching Cap limit, either actual or PK's ceiling internally, what happens if Ron does find a situation that intrigues him? Do we immediately have to trade someone out to make space or just exactly how does he progress? I know that there is a limited "grace period" at the 1st of the season where a team can be over the cap, but how does one progress to get in compliance?

Size and grit.  After seeing all this dust settle through the draft and FA, it looks like RF has size and grit on his list of "to dos."

Yes, we have to see if the Gleason-of-old shows up. (grit)  But RF is clearly valuing it.

All you Tolchinsky fans?  Hold your water.  It may be a while.

Size and grit.  After seeing all this dust settle through the draft and FA, it looks like RF has size and grit on his list of "to dos."

Yes, we have to see if the Gleason-of-old shows up. (grit)  But RF is clearly valuing it.

All you Tolchinsky fans?  Hold your water.  It may be a while.

It should be a while, regardless of who's in the front office.  The Smurf is a 19 yo kid with a boatload of talent but who weighs a buck sixty something soaking wet.  It would be downright irresponsible to expect to throw him into the NHL until he fills out a bit and gets some decent AHL experience under his belt. 

It should be a while, regardless of who's in the front office.  The Smurf is a 19 yo kid with a boatload of talent but who weighs a buck sixty something soaking wet.  It would be downright irresponsible to expect to throw him into the NHL until he fills out a bit and gets some decent AHL experience under his belt. 

Right, but JR threw Murphy in there, IMHO way too early.

And even RF has signed Gerbe.  But Gerbe has proved he can act like a tree stump when necessary.

I'm looking for Murphy to arrive this year. Beat me to it Dinz, great minds.

Also, Kidsky is tiny, but he'll probably always be pretty tiny. He's going to have to find a Saint Louis type of game to have a chance.

McGinn however, has shown nice offense and has an NHL type game now. Is he ready? Not sure, but watch for him in camp I'm telling you.

Edited by remkin

And a damn good chance it could be the most productive line this team has had in a while.  I don't know about Tolchinsky, but the heart of the other 2 would not be questioned.  Who knows???  Stranger things happen around these parts!!

Who'd have thought Whitney would play on like Chris Chelios. I have to really hand it to him and was I ever wrong about him getting a bit too old when he was on the verge of 40. But eventually even a broken clock is right, and he has to age sometime. No.

Brandon Sutter. RFA. I gotta think JR really likes him. He was at $2million last year. On the one hand I'd love to put him on the more shut down line and turn Jordan loose a bit. But I doubt we can make it work. I know he had the top line checking role, but he was -9 on a very plus team and managed only 26 points. What would he cost? I would love it in a way, but can't see it happening. Was a fan favorite though.

And LaRose. I've been staying out of that one because talk about fan favorites. The LaRose era has passed. Lets all remember him fondly.

As to recycling, it's not really a true recycle, but I do wonder if Lotkionov is still out there and or Bellemore if we don't kick the tires. Wonder what they were asking? 

If a third line value center shook loose, it would be a nice play if we have the cash. A guy who just got left out and is better than his $.

Current Vegas odds on the Canes hoisting the Cup next year are the 4th worst in the league at 65/1. Rem is going to be selling island time on Groupon.

Im trying to remain hopeful, however I know coaching/systems seldom beat raw talent and I just cant seem to stomach the kool-aid with what ive seen thus far in the off season. Somehow I just knew it wasnt P. Mo's fault.....

Current Vegas odds on the Canes hoisting the Cup next year are the 4th worst in the league at 65/1. Rem is going to be selling island time on Groupon.

So you're saying there's a chance.

Canes were picked to finish dead last in 2005/06 by all the 'experts.' 

Not even thinking about the Stanley Cup.  Baqsed on how garbage this team has been last 5 years, realistic goal this season should be to make the playoffs and make it into the 2nd round. That would be a quantum step for this franchise...

Ronnie needs this team to make the playoffs this year. If not the team has to be blown up. JR really put us in a bind with the salaries/contracts given away that we are so far out of balance we cannot put a balanced team on the ice. The Canes currently pay their top four forwards more money than anyone in the NHL!! Add Wards salary to the mix and we are close to 50% of our payroll spent on 5 players. 50 % of the salary goes to the remaining 18 players. :thumbdown:

Ronnie needs this team to make the playoffs this year. If not the team has to be blown up. JR really put us in a bind with the salaries/contracts given away that we are so far out of balance we cannot put a balanced team on the ice. The Canes currently pay their top four forwards more money than anyone in the NHL!! Add Wards salary to the mix and we are close to 50% of our payroll spent on 5 players. 50 % of the salary goes to the remaining 18 players. :thumbdown:

Some comparison:

The Kings spent           44% of their salary on their Top $+starting goalie

The Blackhawks spent 41.8%

The Rangers spent      49.5%

The Habs spent           43.6%

(Numbers from today's CapGeek page, but it does point out we're not getting out bang for our buck.)

Some comparison:

(Numbers from today's CapGeek page, but it does point out we're not getting out bang for our buck.)

Now calculate those numbers by removing the #1 goalie's salary and replacing it with the #2 (backup) goalie's salary.

Now calculate those numbers by removing the #1 goalie's salary and replacing it with the #2 (backup) goalie's salary.

52.7% with Ward on the team.  46.3% without Ward

Some comparison:

My main point was the salary of our top four forwards at 26,600,000. Yes,we are not getting our bang for our buck! Last year we paid $292,307.00 per goal for a non playoff team. 

My main point was the salary of our top four forwards at 26,600,000. Yes,we are not getting our bang for our buck! Last year we paid $292,307.00 per goal for a non playoff team. 

Ouch! Those boys are laughing last however.  The one guy that drives me crazy is J Staal.  He strikes me as acting so entitled about the whole thing.