The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

Kane might be a bit of a gamble in the attitude dept. but I've also heard that he might just need to mature some. The guy is a huge, potential upside guy. Some say 40 goals. I personally believe that Semin has played on a gimpy wrist for two years, but I get the point. We do need our top guys producing. But adding Kane to the core up front would bring a whole lot of offense all at once to continue to build around.

Get crazy and imagine McDavid and Kane added to our young core...

Winnepeg has been rumored to need to move him. Now he is out, and can't help them for weeks.

Byfuglien would ben an interesing option. Certainly bring the size.

I'm just spitballing here though, kicking the tires as it were. I also like trying to get Yandle from Arizona or Arizona's #1 pick somehow.

I'd rather have Ekman-Larsson.  If we're going to trade one of our top guys, we'll probably be getting younger.  Yandle will be 30 by time his contract ends.  Skinner/Murphy/Nash for Ekman-Larsson/1st?

I'd rather have Ekman-Larsson.  If we're going to trade one of our top guys, we'll probably be getting younger.  Yandle will be 30 by time his contract ends.  Skinner/Murphy/Nash for Ekman-Larsson/1st?

I would probably make that trade...

I hope R.F. is entertaining any and all trade offers, to include ways out or compromise with the NTC contracts. I hope the future rebuild does not include the Staals, Semin, Skinner or Tlusty.. IMO the team needs a new leader and a change of offensive talent.  Before the knives are tossed, I know its all easier said and done, just one fans opinion here...

I think it's fair for both teams.  We may would have to throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  They'd be getting a lot back.

I think it's the most reasonable trade I've seen thrown around here.  Arizona wants more offence and flair so they get Skinner, Nash, and Murphy.  We need more defense and size so we get Ekman-Larsson and (one of McDavid, Hanafin, Eichel, or Strome).  If we are in total rebuild, we could sweeten the overall deal by adding Tlusty for their 2nd.

Well that would be a nice return. From their end it would entirely depend on how much they want Skinner. This is what is so hard about trades. I'm not sure if I'm Arizona I'd give up that much for what amounts to Skinner, a prospect and a third line center. 

I just hope we are able to get some return for the pieces we want to move.

We pretty much all want change, but what if it is just a dump of salary? That would just put us needing to overpay UFA's and probably not get the ones we want anyway...

My concern, is return. Hey, that rhymes.

Been lurking around the a couple of Oilers message boards.  They have a thread specifically for tanking talk.  They're actually giddy about being in last place.  A lot of fans feel sorry for whomever gets drafted by them, knowing their presence isn't going to make them a better team.  Hardly none of them want to trade the pick.  Most of them seemingly want Edmonton to draft Eichel.  And a lot of them are worried if they end up landing McDavid/Eichel, that they're not going to directly report to the team.  Eichel's already been talking about staying in college for another year or two.  The McDavid talk is pure speculation.

For Edmonton it's all they've had for years. Now that said, if your going to be good at something, be the best, and Edmonton is second to none at tanking. But it's about time someone beat them at their own game.

Tlusty is a pending UFA. Why would a non-contending team trade for him? I don't see Arizona trading out of the first round of this draft for Skinner and 2players with the ceilings of Murphy and Nash. Maybe a player for player trade for Skinner.

Been lurking around the a couple of Oilers message boards.  They have a thread specifically for tanking talk.  They're actually giddy about being in last place.  A lot of fans feel sorry for whomever gets drafted by them, knowing their presence isn't going to make them a better team.  Hardly none of them want to trade the pick.  Most of them seemingly want Edmonton to draft Eichel.  And a lot of them are worried if they end up landing McDavid/Eichel, that they're not going to directly report to the team.  Eichel's already been talking about staying in college for another year or two.  The McDavid talk is pure speculation.

I think Edmonton fans were spoiled by Gretzky. McDavid and Eichel may be generational talents, but even if they're of the Great One's ilk, do the Oil have the likes of Kurri, Messier, Coffey and Fuhr? I don't think so - not anymore than the 'Canes do.

The bottom line for me remains age. If we're not seriously looking at offers on every player - but particularly forwards over 25 - we run the risk of re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, and re-upping players (i.e., cap hits) near enough to the ends of their careers that we'll face five more years like the past five years in terms of on-ice success. 

This is why I now favor leaving the lineup alone through the end of the year. If the Staal-Staal-Lindholm (or whomever) line works like Peters hoped it can, getting the first-round pick becomes less important. Jordan was hoped to be the key to first-line success, setting the tone for a second and third with snipers sprinkled throughout (Gerbe, Skins, Tlusty, Rask) and a fourth "energy" line. It's a setup that's worked for years and will even more as the NHL gets stricter about hits to the head, boarding, etc. This is never again going to be the NHL of 30 years ago, but that said, if we can make Bellemore and Malone into Players Not To Be Effed With, the Canes will have toughness in reserve that they have not pretty much since Mike Commodore.

So, it may have come together three months later than planned, but the roster we wanted on opening night 2014 is finally here. Give it the same three-plus months it would have had to get rolling then - with the added pressure of playing teams barely in or barely out of the playoff picture - and let's see what happens. When the season ends, decide who's a keeper and who isn't, and use the six or eight weeks while the playoffs are on to talk ("theoretically," of course!) to other teams about deals. When the Cup is raised, pull the trigger to whatever degree the Hammer/Ronnie brain trust feels is necessary.

And come opening night 2015, "your Carolina Hurricanes!" are officially out of excuses.

Edited by top-shelf-1

TopShelf, I agree with some of what you said.  But all in all, I still don't think this is the team we wanted opening night.  I'm not blinded by the recent winning streak.  We beat 2 non-playoff teams barely in shootouts.  This team has only scored 2 or more goals twice in the last 30 days.  That's obviously and simply not good enough.  At best, our team at full strength and everyone living up to their potential is a borderline playoff team at best.  And we've been sitting around waiting for this team to be full strength and everyone living up to their potential for 6yrs now.  It's too little too late.

We need to start thinking about our future now.  Eric & Ward are now 30.  By the time this team is competitive on a regular basis again, how old are they going to be?  Semin is in his 30's as well.  

TopShelf, I agree with some of what you said.  But all in all, I still don't think this is the team we wanted opening night.  I'm not blinded by the recent winning streak.  We beat 2 non-playoff teams barely in shootouts.  This team has only scored 2 or more goals twice in the last 30 days.  That's obviously and simply not good enough.  At best, our team at full strength and everyone living up to their potential is a borderline playoff team at best.  And we've been sitting around waiting for this team to be full strength and everyone living up to their potential for 6yrs now.  It's too little too late.

We need to start thinking about our future now.  Eric & Ward are now 30.  By the time this team is competitive on a regular basis again, how old are they going to be?  Semin is in his 30's as well.  

Oh I hear ya, PK, and I've been one of E's worst critics throughout the morass that has been Hurricanes hockey since the 2009 season. But all along I've maintained that he's a natural winger who belongs on the wing. We finally have a GM and coach who agree about putting him there, and I think the success of that big a move can't be judged on the last three games or even the 20 or so between now and whenever the deadline happens to be. I just can't see that being a sample size large enough to persuade RF to break up the potential family chemistry they might produce if being on his brother's wing can bring out the best in Eric. Regardless, given E's NTC he's not going anywhere until he agrees to. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

As we approach the trade deadline I think its important to look at some current economics of the team.  The Hurricanes are currently averaging 2607 less per night in attendance for an average home game attendance of 12,576 according to ESPN.  The last time the team averaged close to this low was in 03/04 for an attendance figure of 12,330. 

The RF rebuild process is about to enter into a phase of very tight purse strings.  The under performance of our stars coupled with this low attendance figure is going to put all the more increased pressure on the scouting department of the Canes.  The returns for our trades are bound to be severely compromised from the under performance. This along with a desire to shed salary for the budget conscious ownership who have now been burned by poor play after actually spending money the past couple of years makes the task of rebuilding at hand all the more difficult.

I like the addition of Joe Nieuwendyk to the scouting staff. I believe his input coupled with RF's vision will help put us on the right path.The lack of careless spending during last summer's free agent period coupled with the results of his first draft were refreshing. Lets hope the net results of these efforts and this coming trade deadline pay off sooner than later because at the end of the day the attendance is bound to become more and more of a driving force on the future of hockey in Raleigh.

While it stinks that this team is out of the playoffs, the situation is at least interesting.

The team is just now getting fully healthy for the first time this year, and full healthy with very good goaltending for the first time in years. Of course that will just serve to move us down the draftboard, as usual. But what will Francis do? One thinks he almost has to honor the chance for this team, now as healthy as it is likely to be, to show what it can do. But....to what end?

What if they go on a tear?

Is RF even slightly considering no major changes to the team's high end contracts? Getting the band together again next year? Just moving a few Tlusty type players? That would also result in a run down the draft board again and few if any extra picks.

But he has 3 NTC's and an unmovable (Semin) contract to deal with. And the Staal brothers are a potent NTC duo if they desparately want to stay. MAYBE if Semin goes on an unholy scoring tirade he could be a deadline type deal...does Sekera want out? Do we keep both goalies? Does Ward want out now, or after his contract is up?

No major shoes have dropped yet, and I think Francis is nicely deliberate. I predicted moves will come the week after next, due to the huge gap in our schedule, so I might as well stick with that, but who knows? Seems like just about anything could happen.....or nothing.....

What do you do? What do you do?

Edited by remkin

There is talk (http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/01/09/rumors-ii-isles-wild-avs-hurricanes-blue-jackets-leafs-and-sabres/) that the Islanders may look for a top line LW to play with Tavares and Okposo.  That could be a great fit for E. Staal and Islanders have a ton of top flight prospects.  How about something like: Staal for Dal Colle, Rienhart, and an expiring contract to keep the Isles under the cap?

There is talk (http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/01/09/rumors-ii-isles-wild-avs-hurricanes-blue-jackets-leafs-and-sabres/) that the Islanders may look for a top line LW to play with Tavares and Okposo.  That could be a great fit for E. Staal and Islanders have a ton of top flight prospects.  How about something like: Staal for Dal Colle, Rienhart, and an expiring contract to keep the Isles under the cap?

It's funny because Francis must be keeping things under the radar. There should be more trade rumors about the Canes. My guess is that he doesn't want to rattle the cage of the finally all healthy team and is keeping it quiet.

To that end, further down on the page you linked to is:

The Leafs have quietly checked on Eric Staal’s availability.

There's that pesky Leaf's-Staal thing again...

and the Wild/Ward trade rumors won't go away either. I recently read talks to re-sign Tlusty have started and early in the season Francis said he would like to re-sign Sekera but we also know Francis said he won't let our FA  walk without getting something in return. I would say Francis and crew have a lot of decisions to make in the next few weeks.

add:

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  39m 39 minutes ago

Francis says personnel decisions may be made at upcoming management meetings. Cites need to take "emotion and frustration" out of decisions.

Pretty brutal:

The ‘Canes might even be willing to assume some of that hit. They’d be foolish not to consider it.

The only problem for the Wild? It’s sort of a big one. Ward isn’t a very good NHL goalie, and save for a few spurts here and there (he’s actually been in decent form recently), hasn’t been for a while now.

Ouch.

While it stinks that this team is out of the playoffs, the situation is at least interesting.

The team is just now getting fully healthy for the first time this year, and full healthy with very good goaltending for the first time in years. Of course that will just serve to move us down the draftboard, as usual. But what will Francis do? One thinks he almost has to honor the chance for this team, now as healthy as it is likely to be, to show what it can do. But....to what end?

What if they go on a tear?

Is RF even slightly considering no major changes to the team's high end contracts? Getting the band together again next year? Just moving a few Tlusty type players? That would also result in a run down the draft board again and few if any extra picks.

But he has 3 NTC's and an unmovable (Semin) contract to deal with. And the Staal brothers are a potent NTC duo if they desparately want to stay. MAYBE if Semin goes on an unholy scoring tirade he could be a deadline type deal...does Sekera want out? Do we keep both goalies? Does Ward want out now, or after his contract is up?

No major shoes have dropped yet, and I think Francis is nicely deliberate. I predicted moves will come the week after next, due to the huge gap in our schedule, so I might as well stick with that, but who knows? Seems like just about anything could happen.....or nothing.....

What do you do? What do you do?

The interesting situation we're in is the same situation we've been in for 6yrs now.  It starts with injuries, mix in the inconsistency from top players, then a little bit more injuries, and bam.........5-7th pick in the draft.

It's clear they're not making the playoffs this year, and my best guess is the personnel meeting they're going to do is who do we trade and how soon do we trade him.

It wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of our forwards making over 5mil be traded.  I can see Skinner traded for the right price.  Eric could be traded for the right price, but probably not until the offseason unfortunately.  I can see Ward being traded.  To me, Tlusty and Sekera are all but gone.

Pretty brutal:

The ‘Canes might even be willing to assume some of that hit. They’d be foolish not to consider it.

The only problem for the Wild? It’s sort of a big one. Ward isn’t a very good NHL goalie, and save for a few spurts here and there (he’s actually been in decent form recently), hasn’t been for a while now.

Yeah he also said that Cam can be had for next to nothing.

I think this is a guy writing who has followed Cam from afar but hasn't really been paying very close attention the last 2 months. He does begrudgingly admit he is in decent form lately, but Cam is in more than decent form, lately.

I get that a GM looking at Cam and considering the long term can rightly wonder what he might get next year, but Cam is a guy with two deep playoff runs, a Conn Smythe and a Stanely Cup on the resume, so he's not going to wither in the playoffs, and he has put together over 2 solid months with far better than "decent" form. If that's the piece you're missing? Hey, Cam has had issues, but he's a decent bet to keep playing at least decenlty next year as he seems to have improved his game considerably. Soft goals are nearly gone, and his glove and puck handling are improved.

Next year aside, the Cam of right now would definitely help a team make and win in the playoffs this year.

If someone is going to give us next to nothing for him, then forget it. Keep him and move on.

But I disagree with the author, I think Cam brings more than that. Maybe we take some salary back, but if we do, first round pick anyone?

Edited by remkin

I doubt this writer has been paying much attention.  It might be easy to dismiss Cam for this year just based on the record.  A deeper look at his numbers and play, and we know the story.   Kind of tough when your team gives you 1 goal a night.  I think it was lazy journalism/blogging.  Pretty typical these days.  He's not the GM, so it really doesn't matter.

Bobs in CBJ just got 7.425M for 4 years.  More contracts like this will make Ward's contract look better, if Ward continues this kind of play he has had lately.

If I were RF, I wouldn't push the button on Ward too fast.  His stock can only rise as long as Wardo keeps playing the way he does.  If he gets injured or suddenly falls off, then I guess it is what it is.   You takes your risks one way or another.

I really doubt this team wants to continue to retain salary consistently on trades.   They can't afford it.

Good point on the limit. Outside of that though, holding retained salary on Ward makes a lot of sense.

If RF is going to blow it up, then big salaries are coming off in favor of picks/prospects plus probably lower priced players. The net payroll would probalby still be down next year, the last of Cam's deal. We do have other big salaries we might need to hold back on, but Cam's is just one more year.

The other thing is this. Cam is playing extremely well right now. GM's know this much better than dunderheaded sports writers. This year, Cam's salary will be diluted by the year being half over. So really the only reason to shy on Cam if I'm a GM, in say Minnesota, is next year. What Cam will I get for all that cash? But if the cash is not an issue due to us holding some, then Cam should get a nice return.

Face it. Put Cam on Minnesota and they have a very good shot at making the playoffs and even going deep. That is worth at least a first round pick, possibly more. Minnesota is another team that should be doing much better. Futher, while most want to focus on "bad Cam", if I'm Minnesota, I'm thinking of the upside. If Cam keeps playing well, we can probably re-sign him. Goalie problem solved for a while.

For us, the best, most realistic team to get their first rounder is a team just out of the playoffs. A team at the bottom, Buffalo and Edmonton, Arizona, they aren't trading their first rounder any more than we are. The top teams would, but their pick will be in the 20's an far less valuable. But a team just out, with hopes....if they miss we are gauaranteed #14 or higher. And if they really drop...bingo! Sure, they could make it and go deep, but hey, that's life.

I honestly think Cam is worth more than Minnesota's first round pick, especailly if we hold salary, maybe a nice prospect, or anothter pick the following year.....

Francis commented on the trading of Ward saying he had a NTC and basically the bench after Khudini is paper thin.

BUT, if we are to practice SRM, what better way than to audition some back up goalies?

Cam is playing very well and it's hard to sell high. Maybe that's why it's so hard to sell in Colorado...rim shot.

Edited by remkin