The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

edit

It's from every team in the league, so you might have to dig through some pages to find Hurricanes stuff.  There's some bad proposals, but some really good ones too.  Some I would've never thought about.

At worst, you'll get views from different fan bases then all of us know-it-alls.

Edited by OBXer

At one time around here it was forbidden to link to anything outside ch.com.

That was a while back.

Glad we finally got past that.

Edited by coastal_caniac

More of a policy from better days when CH.com had far more active users and felt threatened they would leave if people knew other forums existed.

I think the whole Sekera question has to be thought about based on whether this team can meet the brain trusts' development goals without him during the period of time his next contract would cover.

Every young team needs an anchor on D, a shut-down guy who sets an example of how to play smart to the rest of the D-corps. Sekera is that guy now, but the question - and I think Ronnie has already clued us in to his answer - is whether someone else in our D-corps can be that guy next year and after. I think Ronnie has already decided that among Gleason, Liles, Hainsey, and Faulk someone will become that guy, or he wouldn't be saying straight up that his number-one concern with Sekera is the money. 

Faulk seems likely to become that guy by the end of next season (2015-16). Although that is early age-wise for the typical D-man, Faulk's ability is beyond question; the only place he needs a little more work is in making the right decision every time. He's already doing so most of the time, and I believe Ronnie thinks that if we can keep two of the other three guys (better yet all of them) while Faulk rounds out his development as our number one, they as a group can add up to one Andrej Sekera.

When you look at the cost comparison for those three and the fact that they are filling three roster spots on D rather than just one, and then look at the total payroll already committed for next season, and look at the promising Dmen developing in CLT, letting Sekera go unless the number/term is exactly right for the team becomes pretty easy in the bigger scheme of working toward the organization's long-term goals.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Cap space is a problem, too.  We only have $4.3million this year, and the next years UFAs aren't high dollar contracts(apart from Tlusty's $2.95mil).  Assuming we trade Jiri, that's only $7.28 million to cover 3 D and 6 forward slots.

dogbutler, ok, I'll be the 1st to bite! I'm not understanding any of this $2.95 or the other Longo you've typed. Care to explain? And for the record, it has been my understanding that this team has no problem with "Cap "Space".

What I attempted to type was $2.95, but apparently my spell check corrected? What is all that gobblegook?

Again my spell check is correcting, is yours doing that to you? etc

Edited by KJUNKANE

The other thing that would affect cap space would be any plans to move big contracts. In fact, if Francis went nuclear, we could have problems getting to the floor. (Not that I'm prediciting that).

dogbutler, ok, I'll be the 1st to bite! I'm not understanding any of this $2.95 or the other Longo you've typed. Care to explain? And for the record, it has been my understanding that this team has no problem with "Cap "Space".

What I attempted to type was $2.95, but apparently my spell check corrected? What is all that gobblegook?

Again my spell check is correcting, is yours doing that to you? etc

The Board FUBARED my post. We are actually close to the cap($4.3 million below) this year.  Add in Jiri's $2.95 million and we have $7.28 million under.(plus what ever the cap might rise next year).  That's not a lot, unless we can replace every UFA with a minimum contract player.

Cap space is a problem, too.  We only have $4.3million this year, and the next years UFAs aren't high dollar contracts(apart from Tlusty's $2.95mil).  Assuming we trade Jiri, that's only $7.28 million to cover 3 D and 6 forward slots.

I don't understand what your talking about either because we only have 6 UFA's.  Besides, it's way too early to start this when we haven't even reached the trade deadline and nobody knows what's going to happen or who is going to be moved.

But, you are right, some of these long-term contracts are tying RF's hands.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I can't imagine the cap will be a problem for us. Perhaps a problem trying to make deals with other teams who spend to the limit. I doubt we will spend to the limit.

Francis has made some nice small moves already. Sending Bowman to Montreal, picking up Nesty, drafting Fleury at the draft, not re-signing some of the Chex. But bigger move that tell the direction of the club have yet to be made.

Ron Francis biggest decision will be Sekera. While we have been distracted with Ward, Staal and Skinner it may be re-signing or not re-signing Sekera that determines how we move forward. If he doesn't sign how do we replace him and how do we fit a replacement in our budget. If he does resign do we need to dump salary. If he does re-sign I'm thinking it will indicate we want a playoff competitive team next year with a slow and steady rebuild.

RF's next decision will be what to do with Semin. Good luck with that Ronnie.

Then I expect he needs to address the second and third line. Will we shop for a 2nd line center, Will we move Lindy to center. Either one of those moves will force a choice between Rask and Nash. At least I think it will.

My biggest disappointment so far with management was the failure to go out and replace J. when he got injured. I thought we were a top 6 down heading into the season and the failure to act to replace the injured Staal sealed our fate this season.

Just thinking out loud while waiting for the games to begin again.

My biggest disappointment so far with management was the failure to go out and replace J. when he got injured. I thought we were a top 6 down heading into the season and the failure to act to replace the injured Staal sealed our fate this season.

Just thinking out loud while waiting for the games to begin again.

But "replacing" J. really means adding another high powered UFA that gets the team close to the cap.

Not sure PK and the owners wanted that.

When J. comes back, the "replacement" doesn't disappear.  He becomes part of the added salary.

I don't think it is as simple as getting a replacement.  This team has toxic contracts.  That's the problem.  With them, they can't build the kind of depth we need.

Oh, and it doesn't help to have E. take a sympathetic swoon while his brother is laid up.  

But "replacing" J. really means adding another high powered UFA that gets the team close to the cap.

Not sure PK and the owners wanted that.

When J. comes back, the "replacement" doesn't disappear.  He becomes part of the added salary.

I don't think it is as simple as getting a replacement.  This team has toxic contracts.  That's the problem.  With them, they can't build the kind of depth we need.

Oh, and it doesn't help to have E. take a sympathetic swoon while his brother is laid up.  

You weren't going to replace J with a "star". E was skating center so a nice power forward would have done. Since I already thought we were short a top 6 I think that would of worked. When J got healthy we would have needed to make some choices. We would of still had toxic contracts. No different than now.

We had the cap space, we had players to trade, maybe there was no deal to make but that is my biggest disappointment.

[...] maybe there was no deal to make but that is my biggest disappointment.

Here's mine: We've not a had a legit #1 center since Roddy hung 'em up. We still don't.

Edited by top-shelf-1

You weren't going to replace J with a "star". E was skating center so a nice power forward would have done. Since I already thought we were short a top 6 I think that would of worked. When J got healthy we would have needed to make some choices. We would of still had toxic contracts. No different than now.

We had the cap space, we had players to trade, maybe there was no deal to make but that is my biggest disappointment.

So how easy is it to replace a top 6?

And will E. respond to this?

I get your point.  I just don't think it is simple, especially with the E. Staal enigma.  Yes, I used that word, because in my mind, he is becoming one.

So how easy is it to replace a top 6?

And will E. respond to this?

I get your point.  I just don't think it is simple, especially with the E. Staal enigma.  Yes, I used that word, because in my mind, he is becoming one.

The thing is I'm not talking about doing it now. I'm saying I was disappointed when J was injured we didn't go out and find a top 6 replacement. IMO we wrote the season off (not intentionally) at that point. Over all I think Francis is taking the correct route but until we see a few more moves I.m not sure .

One thing I should of said in my original post is Francis should get high marks for moving Harrison. Not because it was Harrison, I think Harrison is a decent enough D-man. High marks because at the time the team appeared to be in disarray and screaming for somebody do something. By trading a team member that was popular and had been part of the team for several years Francis sent a message that someone was paying attention. It didn't have to be Harrison but it was. it was move that had to be made.

Others might not see it the same way and thats alright. It was only my assessment to date of Francis as GM. The big decisions are yet to come. 

The timing of J.'s injury was not good at all.

Agree the upcoming decisions will say a lot about RF, even if the decisions result in very little.

. . .

Those were my feelings as well.  There were a number of UFAs that ended up signing inexpensive 1 year deals that I thought might be worth a shot for some depth.  But my gut tells me that the decision wasn't RFs; I think that PK shut and locked the bank vault, completely tying Francis' hands.  Especially when we didn't do anything after J went down.

I'm not saying that bad contracts aren't a bigger problem, but there's nothing we could have realistically done about the contracts; we could have added another piece to a team that clearly lacked depth (at least to my eye).

Edited by LakeLivin

One thing I agree with is that it is clealry too soon to tell on Francis. He has said mostly all the right things, and he has made some nice "clear out the deadwood" moves, and a couple of nice low level pick ups, and he has hired what appeard to be a good coaching staff: all good things, but has yet to make a truly impactful major player move.

The best thing we can say to this point on that front is that he has been deliberate, and has not panicked. That is saying something. I have oft quoted the phrase "Don't just do something, stand there" as sage advice. But at some point not making a move becomes the move.

Francis is not yet to that point, in theory he has about 5 weeks, but the one pressure he does have (if he chooses to internally admit it) is that this current team is getting too good, and another run down the draft board, given our history, is a thing. Thus moving good players well ahead of the deadline makes sense.

We've hashed out all of the possible moving players, but the point is that Early Francis will be judged mostly on the upcoming moves, or lack there of far more than anything he has done to date.

It does appear that his approach is the UFA's first. Thus I would expect either signings or trades affecting them soon. The thing is the UFA's are either guys we ideally keep (Sekera), or guys who don't really move the "change" dial much (Tlusty, Gleason, McClement).

The real quesiton is can he change the old guard core of Ward or E? Or does he make a blockbuster and move Skinner? If he does none of those, we are still rolling into next year with mostly the same team.

Edited by remkin

Aside from personnel moves, It's going to be interesting to see how Peters uses Ward and Dobby going forward.

It sure will be interesting to watch the goalie competition play out. I wonder if the front office will have much say in the decision. If we are thinking about trading one of them I would think we would want to showcase their talent. Honestly I haven't seen any indication that Francis is that intent on moving either unless that deal you can't refuse comes along. Maybe Peters will call the shots and let the chips fall were they may.

As with all of these things, I'd love to know the offers out there for our guys, in this case Ward. Even with the big contract, a team in need of goalie help that has a playoff shot might give up a first rounder (this is not necessarly conventional wisdom, just a hunch), I mean he only has one more year left on that contract after this. But then again, with the way Ward is playing I would definitely not take a pick less than a first rounder, I'd just keep him.

I do think I've seen enough of Khudiini to take an educated gamble on him if a good Ward deal arrived.

For what it's worth Ward said he doesn't expect to be traded now, but has never said he would not waive his NTC.

Also, in 2016 there are around 12 goalies scheuduled to make similar money.

Edited by remkin