The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

Maybe everyone else including Chip, got his name wrong. 

I liked the idea of a strong, experienced GM coming in and JR staying on as President. But Francis, who presumably has been JR's protege, with JR as President? One wonders how much will change. Francis still answering to JR. 

I think if they go w/ Francis, JR has to step out completely. Stay on as owner, consultant, but not President.

Considering how JR handles his coaches him staying on as President would be the same poop different day.

See, we are not that dumb! If Francis is GM and JR is president...only the face of the GM changes. We need FRESH, NEW ideas at the GM level. We are stuck with some hefty contracts that are going to take time to cycle through. So, the new GM has time to work some magic....WITHOUT JR!

First order of business...rip the 'C' off Eric's chest and put him of 3rd line!!!

PK should not let JR stay as President and PK should not make Ron Francis the GM.  Step outside the box and bring in fresh perspectives.  I really don't know if Kirk is the right coach or not.  After all we have had three and none have achieved long term success.  May be more organizational in front office than it is coaching. 

I don't think the 'big bang' theory (ie replace all of them now) is the best way to go.  Start with the GM and then give Muller till Xmas next season.  If he is winning 60% of his games than he wasn't the issue.

Also real stupid of JR to give Faulk 6 years and 29m.  Faulk still makes plenty of mistakes.  Yes he has alot of upside but not 29m worth at this point in his career.   How does anyone know for sure he won't pull an E Staal or C Ward and fall apart then be worth half what were paying him?  Should have been more like 3 years and 10m then if he's all that sign him up for another 5.

Reposting the article Remkin posted from Luke DeCock:

DeCock: Rutherford deserves credit for past work despite current struggles | Luke DeCock | NewsObserver.com

Good article imo, no one seems to be sugar coating anything and even John and Tripp are calling it as they see it.

The one silver lining?   We are definitely in for an interesting off season.

One big point seems to be missing from this conversation .... why did they leak ( not officially announce )  this JR is leaving story at this time of the season ?   I have a theory ... the Canes are in the process of seeing a mass exit of season ticket holders, who are frustrated by another season like the past 5.   STHs are not renewing for another season of the same.  So the Canes let the N & O  leak the JR story, to show us that things will change. 

HOWEVER its BS ... with JR staying as president and Francis moving from Assist GM to GM, NOTHING REALLY CHANGES.   Top 3 in the owner/management team will still be the same top 3.  Yea a few job title and pay grade changes but  the same 3 decision makers. 

So what's going to change ?

This STH won't be one next year.

One big point seems to be missing from this conversation .... why did they leak ( not officially announce )  this JR is leaving story at this time of the season ?   I have a theory ... the Canes are in the process of seeing a mass exit of season ticket holders, who are frustrated by another season like the past 5.   STHs are not renewing for another season of the same.  So the Canes let the N & O  leak the JR story, to show us that things will change. 

HOWEVER its BS ... with JR staying as president and Francis moving from Assist GM to GM, NOTHING REALLY CHANGES.   Top 3 in the owner/management team will still be the same top 3.  Yea a few job title and pay grade changes but  the same 3 decision makers. 

So what's going to change ?

This STH won't be one next year.

Yep. I estimate the Canes will see a net 15% drop in STH next year.  That might not sound like a lot, but it is HUGE.

I'll say this to stick up for Ron Francis.  How much decision-making was on him since he's moved up in office, as opposed to maybe the last couple of years, he's been figuring out how things work in the front-office.  Sitting in on draft/trade/free agent discussions, learning how to negotiate player contracts, etc.  Is he really attached to players on this team?  How much interaction does he have with these players on a day to day basis?  My guess is not much.  He's only been in his current position for 2 full seasons, in which the team since has acquired some key pieces in Jordan, Semin, Sekera, Khudobin, Gerbe, Malhotra, etc.

I'd like to see, or at least hear about, the team attempt to look at a few other candidates rather than just hand the job to someone.  We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes.  When Mo got fired, they'd contacted Muller a couple weeks prior, and none of us knew.

I'll say this to stick up for Ron Francis.  How much decision-making was on him since he's moved up in office, 

If the defense for Ronnie is he has not been making the decisions... that's one heck of a weak defense!!!!

By golly having a totally UNPROVEN GM is just what the Canes need now... (argh)!

Actually Ronnie joined the Canes (as a non-player) back in 2008.

Needless to say, overall, things have not gone well for the Canes from 2008 to present.

I'm not blaming Ronnie for all the problems, but I can say he has not been part of a winning front office/mgmt culture and that is something I want in our next GM (assuming the next GM is actually calling the shots, not JR).

Actually Ronnie joined the Canes (as a non-player) back in 2008.

Needless to say, overall, things have not gone well for the Canes from 2008 to present.

I'm not blaming Ronnie for all the problems, but I can say he has not been part of a winning front office/mgmt culture and that is something I want in our next GM (assuming the next GM is actually calling the shots, not JR).

Yeah, he was an assistant coach, which ironically enough was the last time the Hurricanes made the playoffs.  So yeah!

Been thinking about this since the news came out.

I still have no idea what to think about it other than I just don't know how this turns out.  While not pleased by the non-playoff performance of late, I thought the assembling of the team post-lockout to win the cup was a brilliant job of assembling underpriced talent into a champion.  JR has hit at least as often as he has missed.  Don't forget that he was shackled by a self-imposed salary cap for a long time.  It is only recently that the spending has approached the top end teams.  It almost seems that the opening of the coffers took JR out of the game he knew so well.  (He was a good peace-time consigliere, not so much a good war-time consigliere).

The new guy?  Who knows how this turns out.  I just hope it works out.

In other words, be careful what you wish for, it just might happen.

I definitely see where you're coming from Hag. I have liked most of JR's moves too. For some reason the sum of the parts has been less than expected.

Sekera, Gerbe, Khudini, Lotkionov (while losing Ruutu's big $$, mostly), these have all been winners so far. Sekera and Khudini are looking like home runs. 

In the end it was the Jordan Staal deal that probably sealed JR's fate. JR is best at finding value players that other teams have undervalued. That was not the Jordan deal. JR gave up a lot to get J. here. Not the least of which was that #8 overall pick. Now while I felt it was certainly no steal, there was good reason to think it would be the difference for us. We were weak down the middle after Eric as far as a scoring center, and J. was a #2 overall pick, just like E was. J. had already put up some serious points per game, two years running, and been solid two ways and was a big body and would be playing with E so both should be happy and motivated.. Sure, we paid a lot, but we got a lot. That should have worked. If both guys just played to their ability.

But it just has not worked out. Both brothers are seriously underperforming based on salary and historical expectations. J should be a 65 point guy, and E. should be at least at 75-80 points. 

E will fall 15 points shy, and is -11, J. has played good defense, but will fall 23 points shy. But 

That is 38 points shy between them. Further, since they are both centers, those increases would have brought up other guy's numbers.

But even that hides the real issue. Neither brother is putting the puck in the net:

E. has 18 goals and could fall shy of 20 on the year.

J. has 15 goals and probably will fall shy of 20 on the year.

JR in many ways handed the team over to the Staal brothers. And those numbers up there, pretty much sealed JR's fate.

Edited by remkin

I just watched the replay of last night's Pens/Avs game on AFN...and they were saying Jussi and Brandon's names a LOT...

...and the more I think about it, the angrier I get about the Jussi trade...not that JR traded him, but traded him for NOTHING AND CONTINUES TO PAY A PORTION OF HIS SALARY!

He needed to leave around the 2010/2011 time frame. 

if one is to evaluate his overall tenure as GM of the Whale/Canes, how would one evaluate his career? Does the playoffs of 2002, 2006, and 2009 skew that career?  If one is to evaluate his overall tenure as GM of the Whale/Canes, how would one evaluate his career?  Do the playoffs of 2002, 2006, and 2009 skew that career as one of success?   Or, does the overall lack of payoffs and the “one-and-dones” more describe it?  How many of  those years has the franchise shown a profit?

If the defense for Ronnie is he has not been making the decisions... that's one heck of a weak defense!!!!

By golly having a totally UNPROVEN GM is just what the Canes need now... (argh)!

Isn't Mark Howe totally UNPROVEN as a GM?

I want to know why Francis is in Finland?

? to get as far away from the s--- storm as possible?? coastal, don't you think it's to evaluate Pitkanen, as Legend suggested, and thus to know what to do re-the defense. I imagine that he's just getting his ducks in a row, prior to the draft?

Wonder if this has any bearing on the GM position, if it's true? Wouldn't one think that he'd be present if that transition were imminent?

I would guess Francis is in Finland on Canes business. Lets face it he is only a plane ride away and a phone away from any decision that would need to be made. The decision on GM has already been made and only the timing is in question. We might not know the outcome yet but the Canes do.

It is important they do this soon.