The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

Now that GMRF has pulled of the Versteeg deal it is becoming clear to me that he has take from the "good" JR while improving on the "bad" JR. JR was very good at these kind of small, value moves, and Francis so far, has done exceedingly well with these, while compiling draft picks, and improving the organizational structure at the same time.

I hated losing Sekera, one of JR's master moves was getting him, but clearly the way it worked out there was no way we were paying his tab and he probably didn't really want to stay anyway. So now we have McKeown (a very nice prospect) and a second first round pick this year (when was the last time we had two first rounders?). That was a good deal.

Lack for late round picks? Steal. Essentially no cost.

Khudobin for Wiz? A case of need, but Lack > Khudobin and Wiz > Charlotte call up.

Versteeg and Nordstrom and a third round pick for three guys you'll never hear about again? Hard to argue with that one.

Fleury and Hanifin in two drafts? Both of these guys should end up being top pair dmen. Leaves our prospects a bit unbalanced, but in a couple of years the defense we should have? Wow.

So the table is set on defense for a couple of years down the road, and Francis has at least cobbled together a team with a shot in the meanwhile, while avoiding bad contracts.

He has beefed up the scouting staff and changed up the developement staff. And he is compiling draft picks. He is also avoiding big, long term contracts with NTC's in them.

He hired Bill Peters. No one knows how that will end up, but so far the guy seems like an awsome pick. Great hockey mind, but also a no nonsense guy from the most successful hockey culture in modern hockey history.

Finally, and perhaps silently most importantly, he has seriously begun to change our "culture" to closer to what teams like Chicago, Detroit, and LA have. Scratching and then dumping Semin hurts, but made that point dramatically.

The remaining task will be finding a couple of elite forwards for the future, while dealing with E and Ward. That is big league ball, but so far it is hard to find a miss in Francis' moves to date.

Edited by remkin

GMRF is continuing to help the team in the present and in the future, which is pretty hard to do.  He hasn't made a panicky signing nor has he re-upped EStaal or Ward to big deals out of fear.  He hasn't made a big "splashy" move, but his moves have all been with a direction and worked towards filling gaping holes in the lineup.  Versteeg doesn't make this a playoff team, but he fills a need at RW and should be hungry as this is a contract year.  If the Canes are out of the hunt and he plays well, then there's another trade chip. 

While we all want a big move to make the team better, the best stuff RF has done is honestly what he hasn't done out of knee jerk reactions (see Jim Rutherford).

Canes president Don Waddell, speaking to Raleigh Sports Club, says "This franchise in not leaving Raleigh.

Good to know.

Waddell says Canes not rebuilding but retooling. Notes buyout of Semin, says there's a "commitment to winning."

Ok then! Could of fooled me.

Just noticed the contract chart. We have 12 players hitting some form of free agency and 8 hitting UFA next year vs. 10 players signed. Before Lack's signing it ws 13 and 9 UFAs.

Has to be the most in recent times.

If you had a chance to actually ask Ron Francis a question or two what would you ask? The website had a thing where you could ask a question. Wondering what people would ask Does not need to be a GM question could be about playing days or anything.

Edited by remkin

If you had a chance to actually ask Ron Francis a question or two what would you ask? The website had a thing where you could ask a question. Wondering what people would ask Does not need to be a GM question could be about playing days or anything.

1. How do trades work? If you are interested in acquiring a player from another team, do you call and just ask what they want or do you propose what you would give for that player? Do you only talk to that GM or do you ask around to see what other GMs think the value for that player might be?

2. When you call up a player from Charlotte to fill an injury position, do you and Bill Peters meet to discuss who should be called up, or do you just bring up who has been playing well and trust that Bill will find a place for him?

Thanks MinJaBen. Those are good questions. I was also thinking I wonder if they have a GM mail group where they can just fire out an email saying player X might be available.

Edited by remkin

I'd hope Peters tells Ronnie who he wants and Ronnie makes sure it'll work with roster limits/cap constraints and all that jazz.

Good topic Rem!

1.  I've always wondered if there was a particular media person that GM's use to strategically "leak" info, particularly about the availability of a player.  Seems JR's guy was Bob MacKenzie.  I have a feeling GMRF doesn't "leak" anything.  Also, maybe that question might not be one you would ask anyway.  Always wondered though.

2.  MinJaBen hit on one of my other ones about calling up players.

3.  I would like to know how the scouting staff has improved/expanded and what are the Canes doing they weren't doing prior to hiring GMRF.  I mean, it seems the team is really getting better finding potential talent outside the first round (Aho, Slavin, Roy, etc.).

I would ask him the elephant in the room question.

1) How fragile is the teams future in Raleigh and is the franchise committed to stay in Raleigh?

2) As GM, other than building a winning team, what role will the GM have and what measures will you take to make sure that happens?

I'd ask him to what extent the roster decisions were driven by PK budget restrictions over the past 2 seasons and where he saw that headed next year.

Edited by LakeLivin

I'd like to know if Raleigh is a hard sell when having discussions with UFA's. I just don't see a lot of kids growing up with the dream of wearing the sightless eye.