The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

Uh, I don't think it's a long shot to say he's there on business. 

I doubt it's Pitkanen though, he was just in town.

Kasperi Kapenen, anyone?

That was my thought when I first read he was in Finland. 

Okay, I got this figured out.

He's at the IIHF U18 World Championships, hosted by none other than, Finland.

Most if not all of the top draft-eligible prospects playing in this tourney.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well that makes sense. Thx for figuring that out. I will guess he should be back next week for whatever happens with the GM decision.

Yea, I hadn't thought of Kapenen, but god, I hope they're not considering him with our 1st pick!! Talk about business as usual if that happens?

And OBXer, do you really think that this organization will wait that long to make the GM announcement? Talk about not giving a darn about already frayed nerves, but I suppose it's all relative. Likely those who've stayed in the STH folds(like me) will not be changed by this delay. Suppose they could always excuse it away by claiming they're interviewing other candidates.

BTW, where did we hear the news that Francis was in Finland?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Also, another interesting tidbit. Guess who else is presently in Finland, coaching the U18 Canadian team? Yep, you guessed it,none other than Kevin Dineen!! Now wouldn't that be an opening coup for our new GM? I know, I know, just wishful thinking 9on my part.

Yea, I hadn't thought of Kapenen, but god, I hope they're not considering him with our 1st pick!! Talk about business as usual if that happens?

And OBXer, do you really think that this organization will wait that long to make the GM announcement? Talk about not giving a darn about already frayed nerves, but I suppose it's all relative. Likely those who've stayed in the STH folds(like me) will not be changed by this delay. Suppose they could always excuse it away by claiming they're interviewing other candidates.

BTW, where did we hear the news that Francis was in Finland?

From a chip tweet posted on the previous page. So yes I expect we will wait the week.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 2h

Expecting announcement early next week from Canes' Jim Rutherford on his plans. Ron Francis said to be in Finland this week.

Also, another interesting tidbit. Guess who else is presently in Finland, coaching the U18 Canadian team? Yep, you guessed it,none other than Kevin Dineen!! Now wouldn't that be an opening coup for our new GM? I know, I know, just wishful thinking 9on my part.

Dineen has always been mentioned. His name was thrown about before Muller and has been throw around again from time to time. If we do fire Muller I expect he will be one of the rumors floating about again.

Dineen has always been mentioned. His name was thrown about before Muller and has been throw around again from time to time. If we do fire Muller I expect he will be one of the rumors floating about again.

[/quot

Canucks are also talking him up, as they are not so enamored of Torts. Didn't Dineen have some sort of connection to the Canes, can't recall just now what it was? Help

Interesting discussion over on Canes Country regarding the present delay in announcing the present GM conundrum. At least 2 of the discussants have interjected the "elephant in the room" speculation concerning JR's assumed hint of his stepping down!! As I seem to have all kinds of trouble signing into that site, I thought I'd bring it up here.

What if JR gets cold feet and reneges on his nebulous statement of relinguishing his role as GM? What if he decides that he doesn't want to go out as a failure? Then what?

In rather classic JR modus operandi, and I will admit, that the approach has worked often in his tenure, the decision seems to drag out intermidly long. I hate making self serving oft unattainable statements, but I'm just not sure that my patience will last thru another one of these seasons?

Of course my angst could all be for naught, and the announcement could be made any day. Hope so.

Interesting discussion over on Canes Country regarding the present delay in announcing the present GM conundrum. At least 2 of the discussants have interjected the "elephant in the room" speculation concerning JR's assumed hint of his stepping down!! As I seem to have all kinds of trouble signing into that site, I thought I'd bring it up here.

What if JR gets cold feet and reneges on his nebulous statement of relinguishing his role as GM? What if he decides that he doesn't want to go out as a failure? Then what?

In rather classic JR modus operandi, and I will admit, that the approach has worked often in his tenure, the decision seems to drag out intermidly long. I hate making self serving oft unattainable statements, but I'm just not sure that my patience will last thru another one of these seasons?

Of course my angst could all be for naught, and the announcement could be made any day. Hope so.

it must be difficult for anyone who has been in the lme-light to simply who walk off stage. There have been too many athletes whose careers have been sullied by their last appearance on the stage.  Perhaps one of  the better known images is that of Y.A. Title bowed and bloodied afar a hit  by our former sheriff

While not on the ice itself, the lifestyle that being a GM of an NHL team must be intoxicating.  Flying on private charters, staying at five-star hotels, going overseas  to gage foreign talent. etc  It must be difficult to leave the stage voluntarily. One must know his time is done and it time to transfer responsibility to another person.

Could  he be having second thoughts about his retirement?  Who knows? Right now, it seems as if no one is in charge of the franchise.  But after the dismal season the Canes have endured and the unknown status of both Mueller and JR, It is time for PK to speak up regarding the future of his franchise

Yep, but as long as its not Ron Francis as the new GM... (not sure that would be any better with Ronnie as "GM" and JR as "Pres"... meet the new boss, same as the old boss).

Ronnie has NEVER been part of a winning NHL front office... we need new blood, not someone  who has studied under JR (ARGH!!!).

I'll be unpopular.

I would get behind Ron Francis as the guy to turn it around if he is making the hockey decisions 100%.

I'd also like to see Scotty Walker take over in Charlotte. 

Maybe find an assistant GM, more of a legal (law-degree) type, or a guy with a big-time finance degree.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Coastal, I agree 100%, but Greg's mind is pretty 1-tracked on this topic, and no matter how many good points you come up with, it won't matter.  So could we at least wait until a decision is made before talking in circles.

JR has made some good moves as well as some stinkers.. I cant see where Francis or JR staying makes a hill of beans, if the coach isn't allowed to play his system and the players that play it. Not advocating Muller to stay, personally Id like to see a new bench boss. Only if he has the power to enforce the locker room...

I'm wondering why some of us don't think Muller has been allowed to call the shots. The system we play now is so different from the MO teams and almost polar opposite from the Lavi teams.  I can't imagine Muller wasn't at least part of the decision to move Gleason or Ruutu. From my seat this team looks every bit the Muller team. If there is a lot of meddling going on from the front office I don't see it.

If JR steps aside I expect the new GM whoever that is will have the ability to make GM decisions and whoever is coach will be allowed  to run his locker room and bench as he sees fit.

What am I missing?

I'm wondering why some of us don't think Muller has been allowed to call the shots. The system we play now is so different from the MO teams and almost polar opposite from the Lavi teams.  I can't imagine Muller wasn't at least part of the decision to move Gleason or Ruutu. From my seat this team looks every bit the Muller team. If there is a lot of meddling going on from the front office I don't see it.

If JR steps aside I expect the new GM whoever that is will have the ability to make GM decisions and whoever is coach will be allowed  to run his locker room and bench as he sees fit.

OBXer, I'm just hazarding a guess here(not unlike most of us I'd bet), but wondering if most of us just are searching for some explanation for the prolonged state of dismal hockey? Thus, any and everything is fair game. While you are correct in your observation of Muller's imprint on this team, still conspiritists could suggest that his apparent inability to get us in the hunt for the "holy grail" may have been due to JR's interference over certain issues? Just a thought?

Edited by KJUNKANE

OBXer, I'm just hazarding a guess here(not unlike most of us I'd bet), but wondering if most of us just are searching for some explanation for the prolonged state of dismal hockey? Thus, any and everything is fair game. While you are correct in your observation of Muller's imprint on this team, still conspiritists could suggest that his apparent inability to get us in the hunt for the "holy grail" may have been due to JR's interference over certain issues? Just a thought??

A good point. I am the first to admit that I'm one of those searching for an explanation and can't find the answer. JR has made many good player moves but perhaps some of the moves have handcuffed the coaching staff. If JR steps aside (or up) the next GM will certainly have some "toxic" contracts to deal with.

Yep, but as long as its not Ron Francis as the new GM... (not sure that would be any better with Ronnie as "GM" and JR as "Pres"... meet the new boss, same as the old boss).

Ronnie has NEVER been part of a winning NHL front office... we need new blood, not someone  who has studied under JR (ARGH!!!).

Aren't you the one begging for Mark Howe as GM?  He has no experience of any kind as a GM.  Now, if we could hire him as head scout, I would be all for it. 

Being assistant GM doesn't mean he agrees with everything JR does and he might be totally different as a GM. 

What am I missing?

I don't think Muller calls the shots in the sense that players extend their shifts and simply fail (or refuse) to execute his system.  For example, the many times Eric Staal fails to get back to the defensive zone and come from under the play with speed, which Jordan does well.  They (all) don't forecheck aggressively as he requires for his system.  

IMO, the players don't like the system and losing puck possession to forecheck. They like speed, but with possession. None of them are grinders (or missiles) heading after the puck on the forecheck.

Can't speak for the locker room, but the above is with my own eyes.

As for intangibles, the special teams are terrible and his post game pondering about which team showed up reflect poorly on his command of the team.  If he doesn't know what happened after the game, then he really didn't know going into the game.  Those poor starts are very telling (the guys don't look forward to playing - period!).  Those are coaching symptoms.

I don't think Muller calls the shots in the sense that players extend their shifts and simply fail (or refuse) to execute his system.  For example, the many times Eric Staal fails to get back to the defensive zone and come from under the play with speed, which Jordan does well.  They (all) don't forecheck aggressively as he requires for his system.  

IMO, the players don't like the system and losing puck possession to forecheck. They like speed, but with possession. None of them are grinders (or missiles) heading after the puck on the forecheck.

Can't speak for the locker room, but the above is with my own eyes.

As for intangibles, the special teams are terrible and his post game pondering about which team showed up reflect poorly on his command of the team.  If he doesn't know what happened after the game, then he really didn't know going into the game.  Those poor starts are very telling (the guys don't look forward to playing - period!).  Those are coaching symptoms.

Wouldn't that show more that the players aren't buying into his system or some aspects of his system aren't working? It doesn't mean he isn't calling the shots. If that is the case the new GM needs to decide very quickly to stay with Muller or to stick with core players. He won't be able to do both.