The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

The Carolina Hurricanes are expected to announce Monday that Jim Rutherford will step down as general manager and be replaced by Ron Francis, the (Raleigh) News and Observer reported Sunday night.

The Hurricanes have announced a press conference for Monday at noon ET at PNC Arena regarding hockey operations.

Francis is the Hurricanes' vice president of hockey operations and is a former team captain. He has also been an associate coach.

The News and Observer's Chip Alexander added it is unknown if a decision has been made to retain coach Kirk Muller, who has a year remaining on his contract. Carolina went 36-35-11 and missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs for a fifth straight season.

Rutherford, 65, helped Carolina win the franchise's lone Stanley Cup championship in 2006. He also serves as the Hurricanes' president and could remain in that position, according to Alexander.

The above for what it's worth....I think Muller will get another season

The above for what it's worth....I think Muller will get another season

It won't be that long...if he doesn't get canned this summer, he will before December after we do our usual stumble out of the gate.

I'll say this to stick up for Ron Francis. ....   he's been figuring out how things work in the front-office.  

Yeah, he's be learning under JR (nuff said for why Ronnie SHOULD NOT be the new Canes GM).

We need new eyeballs, new ideas and methods and they need to come from a winning culture (not from within).

Mark Howe, pro scout, failed miserably as a potential GM.   The Wings getting bounced from the playoffs proves with absolute certainty that the Wings no longer have a proven winning culture.

As of 12:00 pm today, Greg, you can give this a rest.  Like forever.

Edited by coastal_caniac

defend Mike Howe the scout as a GM.

That statement tells me all I need to know about how much you know about the Red Wings organization, its winning culture and HOF stud forward and stud defenseman Mark Howe.

Mark Howe, pro scout, failed miserably as a potential GM.   The Wings getting bounced from the playoffs proves with absolute certainty that the Wings no longer have a proven winning culture.

You silly little rascal ... maybe look over the past 23-years!!! Making the playoffs 23-years in a row might just qualify as a winning culture.

Regarding RonnieF as the Canes new GM... again BAD MOVE (IMO).

Just being realistic and early to the party (like I was with Cam... which while unpopular at the time, turned out to be correct).

The odds of RF being a great GM are long.

I'm just glad to see most here agree, despite it not being in alignment with "Tripp and John's PR ramblings."

Totally agree with the Greg comment...but Coastal, you're wrong about the Wings getting bounced theory.  They were a team that battled more injuries this season than we have the past two seasons, and yet still found a way to make the playoffs.  They actually groom their prospects the right way...not calling them up til they are 100% ready...not this 7-game crap that we love to do with Boychuk.  And they happened to run into a 6'8" brick wall on the B's.

You silly little rascal ... maybe look over the past 23-years!!! Making the playoffs 23-years in a row might just qualify as a winning culture.

Regarding RonnieF as the Canes new GM... again BAD MOVE (IMO).

Just being realistic and early to the party (like I was with Cam... which while unpopular at the time, turned out to be correct).

The odds of RF being a great GM are long.

I'm just glad to see most here agree, despite it not being in alignment with "Tripp and John's PR ramblings."

....so IF we could hire Mark Howe as our head scout, that would be a GREAT move, but since we are and have been discussing the general manager position, what are you talking about?

That statement tells me all I need to know about how much you know about the Red Wings organization, its winning culture and HOF stud forward and stud defenseman Mark Howe.

You can't use his HOF status and then turn around and dismiss Ron Francis, who's 4th all-time in the nhl in scoring.

And why isn't any other team searching for a new GM rumored to be going after him? It could be possible that other executives know more than you or I?

I dont know, I still have this feeling like some are saying that it will be business as usual. Ron Francis taking over for JR is really just taking the crust off of a crap sandwich. Guess what its still crap at the end of the day. I hope we are wrong in thinking a fresh set of eyes is the right way to go but I dont know.

Unless Francis comes out of the gate and announces major changes right away he will loose credibility on day one. People want to hear what his plan is, there needs to be a sacrifical lamb and JR is not it. Muller might just be that guy. If not perhaps a buyout of Cams contract? WIth JR someone else has to go. IMHO.

Totally agree with the Greg comment...but Coastal, you're wrong about the Wings getting bounced theory.  They were a team that battled more injuries this season than we have the past two seasons, and yet still found a way to make the playoffs.  They actually groom their prospects the right way...not calling them up til they are 100% ready...not this 7-game crap that we love to do with Boychuk.  And they happened to run into a 6'8" brick wall on the B's.

You are late to the sarcastic party.  ;)   I have great respect for the Wings organization, believe me.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I dont know, I still have this feeling like some are saying that it will be business as usual. Ron Francis taking over for JR is really just taking the crust off of a crap sandwich. Guess what its still crap at the end of the day. I hope we are wrong in thinking a fresh set of eyes is the right way to go but I dont know.

Unless Francis comes out of the gate and announces major changes right away he will loose credibility on day one. People want to hear what his plan is, there needs to be a sacrifical lamb and JR is not it. Muller might just be that guy. If not perhaps a buyout of Cams contract? WIth JR someone else has to go. IMHO.

I would guess that no general manager would go into next season with Muller as coach and Eric as captain.  My guess is that they are testing the waters on Eric's trade value and his willingness to waive his no trade clause.  If he is moved, I think Kirk stays.  If he is not moved, I would say that Kirk goes. 

A perfect trade partner might be Montreal.  Eric would probably be willing to go there and they have been looking for a big center forever.  If Eric commands the typical star return of one roster player, a top prospect, and a draft pick, we could ask for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, and their first.  In the range they would be picking, I would target Brenden Lemieux.  IT's a win/win kinda trade.  They get their big center and we get a young center to play between Lindy and Skinner. 

I would guess that no general manager would go into next season with Muller as coach and Eric as captain.  My guess is that they are testing the waters on Eric's trade value and his willingness to waive his no trade clause.  If he is moved, I think Kirk stays.  If he is not moved, I would say that Kirk goes. 

A perfect trade partner might be Montreal.  Eric would probably be willing to go there and they have been looking for a big center forever.  If Eric commands the typical star return of one roster player, a top prospect, and a draft pick, we could ask for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, and their first.  In the range they would be picking, I would target Brenden Lemieux.  IT's a win/win kinda trade.  They get their big center and we get a young center to play between Lindy and Skinner. 

One can only hope the wheels are spinning for something to happen. Biting my fingernails over here waiting for noon to come!

Edited by Kopes2718

I would agree (I guess I wrote this already, but...)that if Francis gets the job w/ JR over him something else HAS to give. My guess would be Muller goes.

As mentioned in another post, the Vellucci situation has been all over XM this weekend.

I know but I was pointing out the under GM Ron Francis part of the tweet.

Gotcha, my bad.  Also, from Aaron Ward:

v2qv6.jpg

Now thats interesting. "significant Promotion from within". Now its must see TV

Francis named GM

RALEIGH, NC – Peter Karmanos, Chief Executive Officer, Owner and Governor of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has promoted Ron Francis to Executive Vice President and General Manager. In addition, Brian Tatum will now serve as Assistant General Manager, and the team has hired Mike Vellucci as Assistant General Manager and Director of Hockey Operations. Jim Rutherford will remain with the team as President, in an advisory role.

Full Press Release

Greg....maybe you should just buy a Red Wings jersey and start posting to their board?  I get it! The Red Wings are a really good organization!  We are one of 29 NHL teams and countless teams from the other professional leagues that would like to be that successful!  I am thinking that if it was as simple as higher Mark Howe, somebody would have tried that before now....

Rutherford said twice nobody will report to him. That would indicate it is a Ron Francis team now.