The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

I think Muller being at the presser is a pretty good sign that he will be back.  I think RF's comments about coaching desisions is probably bad news for some or all of the assistants.

JR is taking on a advisory role, basically a figure head. Said he is stepping WAY away from the game.

With Muller having one more season behind the beach, if he's not gone during the off-season, would not be surprised he is on a short leash at season's start.

Edited by hopper915

Here's what I took away:

1. Kirk isn't going anywhere.

2. Lewis and McLean are toast.

3. Rod isn't going anywhere...nor should he...EVER...cause we all know that ROD BRIND'AMOUR IS THE MAN!!!

4. Get ready for some players going buh-bye this summer...

5. Still not convinced we're going to make enough changes to make the playoffs next year.

Here's what I took away:

1. Kirk isn't going anywhere.

2. Lewis and McLean are toast.

3. Rod isn't going anywhere...nor should he...EVER...cause we all know that ROD BRIND'AMOUR IS THE MAN!!!

4. Get ready for some players going buh-bye this summer...

5. Still not convinced we're going to make enough changes to make the playoffs next year.

6.  We are not spending to the cap anymore!

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 9 mins

Karmanos said team spent nearly to the cap this past season and added "it didn't make a difference, did it?"

Is that the good news or bad?

Maybe you could leave him your number and he could clear all future player/coaching decisions through you first?

Still think Francis needs to make a move besides fire the assistant coaches.

Exception. If Eric has been playing hurt and everyone in leadership knows that.

Then maybe it wasn't a Staal-Muller issue.

It may be that they wanted to install Francis first, then let him swing the axe. I still woudn't want to be all in betting on Muller.

Edited by remkin

I'll throw my full support behind Francis. He's our GM now and I'm going to believe it's his team now. I would imagine players will have to respect the fourth leading scorer of all time.

Would have liked new eyes from outside the organization but it is done now and Francis deserves his chance. I do believe he is a competitor and has an understanding of the pulse of this team. I think he'll demand more commitment from players and take his new role very seriously.

Congrats to Francis......now build us a winner. :)

I'll throw my full support behind Francis. He's our GM now and I'm going to believe it's his team now. I would imagine players will have to respect the fourth leading scorer of all time.

Would have liked new eyes from outside the organization but it is done now and Francis deserves his chance. I do believe he is a competitor and has an understanding of the pulse of this team. I think he'll demand more commitment from players and take his new role very seriously.

Congrats to Francis......now build us a winner. :)

Well said.

While I'm not happy with this appointment,  I do wish Ron Francis all the best in his new job!

I'll support Francis for the time being, can't do anything else. Clearly whining on a message board doesn't change anything.

The man hasn't proven either way of how good he'll be at this job, like most if not all people who are in new roles in their career. So I'll give him the rope and it's up to him to do something positive with it or hang himself.

Here's what I took away:

3. Rod isn't going anywhere...nor should he...

And the fact Rod lives right next to Ronnie... and I bet they are "good friends" (and we all know that is what counts around here when it comes to building a winner).

need to develop a "wait-and -see"  attitude. will be interesting to see if things change much in the draft and the off-season

Greg....The Red Wings are a really good organization!  

I agree, but maybe you should be addressing this to COSTAL as he said,  "Wings getting bounced from the playoffs proves with absolute certainty that the Wings no longer have a proven winning culture."

BTW I was just replying to him (not trying to promote the Red Wings).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

As a fan you need to wish Francis well. He looks and acts with confidence. The proof as they say is in the pudding. We should get a clue soon as a coaching decision will need to be made in the next couple of weeks.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

I like the Vellucci move. He's been around, and seems to be highly respected in OHL circles.  I'm surprised nobody asked any specific follow-up questions on how that transpired.

Edited by coastal_caniac

They interviewed PK on 99.9 after the news conference.

He took a jab at the Hartford Whalers, saying they made the dumbest move in hockey history in trading Ron Francis to Pittsburgh, where he said Ronnie was the reason the Penguins won the cup those two years in a row.

They interviewed PK on 99.9 after the news conference.

He took a jab at the Hartford Whalers, saying they made the dumbest move in hockey history in trading Ron Francis to Pittsburgh, where he said Ronnie was the reason the Penguins won the cup those two years in a row.

I think the best thing the public relations department could do for the organization is make sure PK never has a functioning microphone again...

We missed the boat in giving the GM job to Francis imo.  We should have hired PAUL BOYER!  Boyer is from a WINNING CULTURE  having spent 20+ years with the DETROIT RED WINGS as Head Equipment Manager.  Detroit has made the playoffs for 23 YEARS in a row!!! Prior to joining the Red Wings PAUL BOYER spent a year as Head Equipment Manager for the New Jersey Devils and they came within a game of going to the Stanley Cup finals!!  Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

(I was pulling for Mark Howe before I realized that Boyer has even more experience in a WINNING CULTURE and that we could get him a lot more cheaply than Howe.)  ;)

Edited by LakeLivin

I was looking for the sarcasm flag, but didn't see one.  Please tell me how being an equipment manager on 2 winning teams translates into knowing what you are doing as the GM?  I don't understand this stuff, but that one has confused the hell out of me.

It's kinda sad our hockey talk around here has degraded so badly that someone who doesn't post often can't figure out if Canes fans are that stupid or if we really think the janitor could be a GM.

I see the usual suspect negative nellies, are here, give Ronnie   a   chance, will ya... Bi*** and mo** , nothing makes a few people happy out here...   You could have a  all star at every position , and still whine.... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

He also said he is moving full time to Raleigh and plans on getting much more involved in the business of the Canes. 

Detriot's gain is our loss.