The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

There's not much we can do but watch Ron Francis do his thing. I don't really have any predictions and won't pretend to know what he's going to do with the team. I won't make any assumptions about how his relationship with JR will affect him as GM. I will say this much though, I'm pretty proud that we have someone like Ron Francis in our organization. 

First, Thank you JR for all you've done for the Canes organization. You brought the Cup to the Canes, you brought the NHL Draft to Raleigh, you brought the All Star game to Raleigh, and much more!!!

Second, Congrats to Ron Francis on the promotion to GM. I stand behind you 100% and know you will do a great job. There will possible be a learning curve but I feel you will demand more out of the team and coaching staff. Good luck in this endeavor!!!

And Third, for Capt Kirk! Your first full year as coach was marginal year. Some things went right and some went wrong. Now you have a year under your belt, a new GM, and hopefully the support to do what it takes to win. Make us all proud and make ALL the players perform to their best ability.

GO CANES!!

Thoughts on Francis.

1. He is a classy cerebral guy.

2. At least the conference was pretty clear that Francis is in charge and will make the moves.

3. He wants fast, smart players who bring it and are big. OK, same as everyone.

4. He absolutely avoided giving Muller a vote of confidence. 

5. He was smooth at deflecting questions he wasn't ready to answer. PK, see how it's done?

I have personally been in leadership positions after having been in a group for a while first. I suspect that many in the group did not anticipate me as a leader until I was the leader. One can contribute as a member of the group, but you cannot be sure how they will be as the leader until they are given that role. 

I personally think Francis will be his own man and make his own moves. The players will respect him. 

I am still thinking odds are that Muller doesn't make the cut. I think Francis will have to make a move to show he's the man and that will be it. It will depend on the actual inside scoop on what was up w/ Eric this year. Ronnie kept saying he wanted players who want to be here. Was he talking about anyone in particular? 

We shall see, but I am also fully behind Francis. Getter done!

Edit: the most important quote came at the end when Francis said:

"I have a real good understanding of what I think we have and what we need, and I'll set to work pretty quick on trying to get these things fixed."

Fixed....changes are coming.

Edited by remkin

Thoughts on Francis.

1. He is a classy cerebral guy.

2. At least the conference was pretty clear that Francis is in charge and will make the moves.

3. He wants fast, smart players who bring it and are big. OK, same as everyone.

4. He absolutely avoided giving Muller a vote of confidence. 

5. He was smooth at deflecting questions he wasn't ready to answer. PK, see how it's done?

I have personally been in leadership positions after having been in a group for a while first. I suspect that many in the group did not anticipate me as a leader until I was the leader. One can contribute as a member of the group, but you cannot be sure how they will be as the leader until they are given that role. 

I personally think Francis will be his own man and make his own moves. The players will respect him. 

I am still thinking odds are that Muller doesn't make the cut. I think Francis will have to make a move to show he's the man and that will be it. It will depend on the actual inside scoop on what was up w/ Eric this year. Ronnie kept saying he wanted players who want to be here. Was he talking about anyone in particular? 

We shall see, but I am also fully behind Francis. Getter done!

Edit: the most important quote came at the end when Francis said:

"I have a real good understanding of what I think we have and what we need, and I'll set to work pretty quick on trying to get these things fixed."

Fixed....changes are coming.

That's about how I saw it. I'm not convinced he has made up his mind on the coaching just yet. But yes..changes are coming.

first order of business is selecting the right player in this year's draft.  in terms of getting things fixed. at least he realizes the franchise has problems

We missed the boat in giving the GM job to Francis imo.  We should have hired PAUL BOYER!  Boyer is from a WINNING CULTURE  having spent 20+ years with the DETROIT RED WINGS as Head Equipment Manager.  Detroit has made the playoffs for 23 YEARS in a row!!! Prior to joining the Red Wings PAUL BOYER spent a year as Head Equipment Manager for the New Jersey Devils and they came within a game of going to the Stanley Cup finals!!  Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

(I was pulling for Mark Howe before I realized that Boyer has even more experience in a WINNING CULTURE and that we could get him a lot more cheaply than Howe.)  ;)

I was looking for the sarcasm flag, but didn't see one.  Please tell me how being an equipment manager on 2 winning teams translates into knowing what you are doing as the GM?  I don't understand this stuff, but that one has confused the hell out of me.

allboys: it was meant to be more "tongue-in-cheek" humor than sarcasm.  That's why I added that particular emoticon at the end of the post.  Sorry it confused you.

allboys: it was meant to be more "tongue-in-cheek" humor than sarcasm.  That's why I added that particular emoticon at the end of the post.  Sorry it confused you.

It was an outstanding post, IMO.

Ron Francis impresses me in his whole 5 hours as GM as a roll up your sleeves guy and nothing is acceptable but success.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I really like the Vellucci hire.  A first step at a fresh look at how we develop the guys we draft.

Surprised this isn't getting more attention.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I thought it was hilarious... you kind of 'had to be there' to get it, allboys, an inside joke if you would.

So, I can't really add more or say it better than Remkin (and that's no surprise, great post as always, buddy).  Ronnie has completed his journey and is now quite literally The Franchise.  It's his team to win with or lose with and I'm curiously optimistic, too, OBXer.  This seems to be the change we needed.  Think about the difference in approach between JR and RF... JR goes to Eric Staal and says "We need you to be more like Brindy was, please.  You're my pet and I need you to succeed."  Ronnie goes to Eric Staal and says "I've been there, done that.  I know what it takes and you aren't showing it.  It's my way of the highway, there's a new sheriff in town, the writing's on the wall, so-on and so-fourth."  And not just EStaal but all the players... Ron really does have more leverage and justification for the standards of performance and has a better eye for talent because of his experience.  From that point of view there is a lot of room for improvement.  And most importantly, his warnings should be taken seriously as he had no 'honeymoon' with any of these players... they are all JR's guys.  Clean slate, earn your spot, Ronnie-style.

JR's position as President and NHL spokesman of the franchise stays intact.  To those who disagree that he is/was a great executive, go back to post 31 and re-read Caniac5's opening paragraph.  Oh and how does Executive of the Year possible indicate anything other than respect and talent?

Thanks JR, for everything, Ronnie will take it from here.

First, thanks JR, for your many great moves that made hockey a success in Raleigh and brought us a Stanley Cup. The last few years have been frustrating, probably for you more than anyone, but the great things you did for this franchise should not get lost in the frustration of the moment. And thanks for knowing it was time to go and leaving with dignity.

Second, Ronnie, I'm all in. Be your own man. I believe you can get things turned around. I look forward to an eventful offseason and a bright future.

Francis already has a vision for his team.

“You have to be able to skate, and you have to be a fast team,” he said. “I like players who are smart. I like players who are skilled. I like players who absolutely love to compete.”

I like the sound of that.  Now make it so.

I also like the fact that we brought in someone new to oversee scouting and player development for the Hurricanes.  I know nothing about  Mike Vellucci but at least the Canes recognize that changes need to be made there, as well.

I thought it was hilarious... you kind of 'had to be there' to get it, allboys, an inside joke if you would.

Come on now, jb_online.  There you are showing your fa·vor·it·ism again!  :)

JR's position as President and NHL spokesman of the franchise stays intact.  To those who disagree that he is/was a great executive, go back to post 31 and re-read Caniac5's opening paragraph.  Oh and how does Executive of the Year possible indicate anything other than respect and talent?

Thanks JR, for everything, Ronnie will take it from here.

Looks like JR still gets to fly to Boca and Pebble Beach for those vaca... Govenor's Meetings.  Sounds like a good retirement.

Wow, "the Janitor" parody (funny as all heck)  :notworthy:  :rofl: 
and now fa·vor·it·ism    
:couch: 

:grin:  Naturally the Canes or-gan-eye-zation NEVER shows favoritism :>

On another note, it is interesting how one of our younger more idealistic folks touts JR winning "Executive of the Year"...

Young bloods... take note: Jim RutherF's job was to get us to the playoffs on a "consistent" basis, NOT win Executive of the Year.

What really stood out in Francis interview, he says, he wants  BIG  guys...  there ya go... I watched the LA Kings   game last night, and they have  Big guys, that  can  CYCLE... yes, along the boards, win the battles, keep the puck in, wear the other  team down...  thats the ticket!  Go GET THEM RON!

Excited to see how Ron handles business. I am a little sad to see JR go.

Thanks JR for putting together some amazing teams and bringing in some amazing players.

Possible one of the smartest things he ever did was getting Recchi and Weight at the trade deadline to seal the deal on our cup run. I'll never forget how excited I was when he made those moves, I knew he wanted the cup and would do whatever it takes to help get us there.

Justin Williams, Ray Whitney, Cory Stillman, Matt Cullen, Roddy, E. Staal, Eric Cole, (even Andrew Ladd). Then added Weight and Recci.

That was a pretty good group of forwards he put together. 

Edited by remkin

What really stood out in Francis interview, he says, he wants  BIG  guys...  there ya go... I watched the LA Kings   game last night, and they have  Big guys, that  can  CYCLE... yes, along the boards, win the battles, keep the puck in, wear the other  team down...  thats the ticket!  Go GET THEM RON!

But he also said:

“You have to be able to skate, and you have to be a fast team,” he said. “I like players who are smart. I like players who are skilled. I like players who absolutely love to compete.”

Add "big" to that list and the pool of candidates meeting all of those criteria gets pretty small pretty quickly. Something will likely have to be compromised; I wonder what it will be?

But he also said:

Add "big" to that list and the pool of candidates meeting all of those criteria gets pretty small pretty quickly. Something will likely have to be compromised; I wonder what it will be?

The part I heard was that he said (after listing fast and skilled) "all things being equal, you'd like them to be big."

Well, there aren't many 'big' guys who are equal on skill and speed to little guys.  All things aren't equal in most cases, it's a choice.   The little guys will always be available in the draft and in trades since other teams don't value them as highly.  If a big guy has to be able to skate and shoot equally well before his size becomes a deciding factor, we're right back in JRland. 

Some of the comments Karmanos made after the press conference still bothers me.  Take these 2 quotes for example:

“Look, this team is good enough to win the whole damn thing, OK?” he said. “If we didn’t have both our goalies out for umpteen games … We were at the (salary) cap, we had some outstanding hockeyicon1.png players, we had some tough injuries.

“So I guess I could blame the coach for that. I’m not going to. We were just a few points away from making the playoffsicon1.png, like a lot of teams were. It’s very hard to hold people accountable for things that are out of their control.”

This guy must think 1) this fanbase is stuck back in the late 90's when the PA guy had to call out icing and offside, or 2) we are just complete idiots.

Personally, I think it is Karmanos who is out of touch with both his own team and certainly its fanbase.  I mean really, good enough to win the whole damn thing if it weren't for a few injuries?  And when is falling 10 points short of the playoffs a "few" points away.

Does he even watch his own team play?  Not posting this to trash the owner but maybe it is a good idea he moves here and gets more in touch with the reality of what's really happening.

Edited by coastal_caniac

It's funny because when this team was playing the right way and the big guns were firing, we were a playoff team. So why the inconsistency? Sure Ward and Peters blew a few games, but that happens to every team. If PK thinks bad goaltending was the problem....come on man. The inconsistency, coach? Staal? Something, but not goaltending.

If all players played to their ability, including an NHL powerplay, we would have been a playoff team, but a lower echelon playoff team. Even then there is room to strengthen this team into a bettter team.

The thing that kills me is the "but for a few more wins" type comments. This is the NHL where the bar is set lower than any ohter sport in terms of "winning" record. Tie wins are counted as wins, tie losses are counted as ties. Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs. The bottom line is we are picking #7 and really tied for picking #6. Thus 24/29 teams finished better than us. THAT's how we finished.

Edited by remkin

Some of the comments Karmanos made after the press conference still bothers me.  Take these 2 quotes for example:

“Look, this team is good enough to win the whole damn thing, OK?” he said. “If we didn’t have both our goalies out for umpteen games … We were at the (salary) cap, we had some outstanding hockey[/size]icon1.png players, we had some tough injuries.

“So I guess I could blame the coach for that. I’m not going to. We were just a few points away from making the playoffs[/size]icon1.png, like a lot of teams were. It’s very hard to hold people accountable for things that are out of their control.”

This guy must think 1) this fanbase is stuck back in the late 90's when the PA guy had to call out icing and offside, or 2) we are just complete idiots.

Personally, I think it is Karmanos who is out of touch with both his own team and certainly its fanbase.  I mean really, good enough to win the whole damn thing if it weren't for a few injuries?  And when is falling 10 points short of the playoffs a "few" points away.

Does he even watch his own team play?  Not posting this to trash the owner but maybe it is a good idea he moves here and gets more in touch with the reality of what's really happening.

Did you get that straight out of my head? I have sure been thinking along those lines. He is so out of touch with reality.

“Look, this team is good enough to win the whole damn thing, OK?” he said. “If we didn’t have both our goalies out for umpteen games … We were at the (salary) cap, we had some outstanding hockeyicon1.png players, we had some tough injuries.

“So I guess I could blame the coach for that. I’m not going to. We were just a few points away from making the playoffsicon1.png, like a lot of teams were. It’s very hard to hold people accountable for things that are out of their control.”

On this, it seems we all agree (amazing)... even me and Super Dave.

If the goalie situation hadn't of happened this year we'd of been more then 10 points out. Both backups went on winning streaks. Peters matched his with a losing streak but whose counting.