The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

Front Office Lounge ... GM Talk

The thing that kills me is the "but for a few more wins" type comments. This is the NHL where the bar is set lower than any ohter sport in terms of "winning" record. Tie wins are counted as wins, tie losses are counted as ties. Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs. The bottom line is we are picking #7 and really tied for picking #6. Thus 24/29 teams finished better than us. THAT's how we finished.

Not quite Remkin...a sub-.500 team made the playoffs in the NBA this year.

Not quite Remkin...a sub-.500 team made the playoffs in the NBA this year.

Ah, but you make my point exactly! :P

TWO sub-500 NHL teams made it.

Detroit: 39-43

Dallas: 40-42

But we are conditioned to consider OT losses as ties, while OT wins are wins.

Although the NBA is close, at least they don't count some losses as ties.

Edited by remkin

Karmanos seems like an arrogant *edit*. I find his comments insulting and disturbing. An owner that out of touch is unacceptable and makes me concerned about the future.

I don't know what type of person he is, I'm just saying his comments/perspective concerning the team borders on delusional and he comes off as arrogant.

Edited by Kyrule

Karmanos seems like an arrogant *edit*. I find his comments insulting and disturbing. An owner that out of touch is unacceptable and makes me concerned about the future.

I don't know what type of person he is, I'm just saying his comments/perspective concerning the team borders on delusional and he comes off as arrogant.

That's what worries me.  No matter how good a GM team we have now(and I think it's pretty good), if the owner does a Jerry Jones and micro manages things, we're FUBAR.

So, even when we bring in people from outside the organization there's still nepotism involved!

MadDog Technology, based on Pierce Street in Birmingham, registered with the state early this month. Its bare-bones website lists just two employees: Karmanos and former Compuware employee Mary Vellucci.

Mary, a former Compuware employee, is related (most likely his wife, though I can't find anything online) to our new assistant GM, Mike Vellucci. And while Mike has a wonderful record with the Plymouth Whalers it does make you wonder what the true motives behind his hiring are.

So, even when we bring in people from outside the organization there's still nepotism involved!

Mary, a former Compuware employee, is related (most likely his wife, though I can't find anything online) to our new assistant GM, Mike Vellucci. And while Mike has a wonderful record with the Plymouth Whalers it does make you wonder what the true motives behind his hiring are.

I would think he was brought in because of the way he has developed young players and they we the Canes have not developed young players...

I have my concerns about some of Karmanos's comments, but be careful when you criticize the owner. There are about 20 cities that would line up for an NHL franchise, and when Karmanos sells the team, or is out of the picture, I'm not that confident we will have NHL hockey here much longer. So remember that without PK, we don't have an NHL franchise in North Carolina to be critical of.  Just sayin'.

What is he supposed to say? "I sucked. JR sucked. The coach and players sucked. If I were you guys I would not waste money on season tickets."

Careful of what?  Heck with that.

I'll be critical, he comes off like an arrogant, out-of-towner that is out of touch with the city, it's fans, and the situation with the team.  I'd say that to his face if I had the opportunity.

The press we have are a bunch of dish rags as well, afraid to ask the tough questions to his face, or follow-up with a tough question when he gets all arrogant and snippy.

The guy only has to be courteous, not come across like an out-of-touch ahole.

Until then, he will get plenty of criticism around here.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I agree with bluedevilcane. A little restraint, and even a little respect is in order. I'm sure PK doesn't want this team to lose anymore than the rest of us. We may feel we lost money on our tickets, but I'm sure he loses a lot more than we do. You may thinks he's a clueless jerk, but he probably reads posts like yours and thinks you're an ungrateful jerk, so you're even. This is a chance for a new start, why don't we take the time to see how the changes pan out before we call for the lynching, yes.

This franchise was patient with this fan base, and believed in us when only a few thousand were showing up for games for numerous seasons. I remember how empty this arena was on most nights. Lets give them another shot. If things turn too nasty and he yanks this team to a new home, like Hartford, we are a city that is not likely to get another shot at an NHL team. Lets all count to 100 and try to be sane while we wait for the draft, offseason moves and the beginning of next season. It could just as easily be a good year as a bad one.

Breathe! 

I don't care for PK for obvious reasons and take nothing he says or does at face value.

Just a different take; if you ignore his demeanor and consider that he most likely already had in-depth briefings and discussions, what we got were a few things his mind retained masked by a bunch of self-important rubbish.

With all due respect hockeysmitten, let me say we are all behind PK, the front office, and the team, or we wouldn't be posting here.  But I'm not one not to voice an opinion when somebody plays the "be careful what you say cause PK might pick up his toys and leave" card. 

Frankly, it's the respect I have for the guy for all he has done for US hockey, for bringing the team to this market, and moving the AHL affiliate to Charlotte that keeps me from even worrying about that.  And I'll be first in line to appreciate that investment.

But asking an owner, who has been mostly an absentee owner since I've been following the team, to show some restraint in his public comments about the fan base, and not come off as a complete jerk with the media isn't asking a whole lot, IMO.  It's reciprocal respect for a patient fanbase that according to his own accounts, is quickly jumping ship.  That's what I have a problem with.

If he is in fact planning on moving here and getting down in the weeds with the business of running a franchise, that's great and I welcome it, but he needs to learn how to frame his comments in public, which by the way, is the only thing we have to judge his thoughts on. 

He seems out of touch.  Even arrogantly out of touch.  Many here have voiced those same opinions.  The media basically said the same thing.

I said this in another post, but it's like he thinks the fans are still stuck back in the late 90's when the PA guy would call out off sides and icing.  News flash PK, we aren't.

Maybe you don't agree and that's fine, but when an owner is quick to make snarky comments in public, when we rarely get a chance to even see the guy, it doesn't help things along.   He's the owner of a sports franchise, not a head of state.  He doesn't get a break from paying customers.

Edited by coastal_caniac

PK may be the owner, but he is still trying to sell a product, or should be. His comments come off as arrogant. Maybe being a little more thankful to the fans for being patient, than just telling us we need to be more patient would have been a good start.

I don't care for PK for obvious reasons and take nothing he says or does at face value.

Just a different take; if you ignore his demeanor and consider that he most likely already had in-depth briefings and discussions, what we got were a few things his mind retained masked by a bunch of self-important rubbish.

I agree fully. Same guy that held a presser saying the Whalers were not leaving Hartford and then shortly after moved the team. After an outpour of fan support, tickets sales and merch. Not been a fan since then.

The article made good points in what Vellucci brings and is expected to bring to the job. He may well be the best front office move we have made in sometime.

And yet people seem confused when I say if they name Daniels as head coach, I'm done with this team!

Kahuna, I 2nd that. IMHO, a huge part of the Canes' problem over the past 5 yrs. was not having the ability to lean on our AHL team when the inevitable injuries started piling up. Now, I know that the argument has been made ad infinitum, that when those kids were brought up, that they were not effectively utilized, and to an extent, I agree with some of this, but how does one explain that with rare exception, none of our AHLers have progressed on to better things? Our development as well as abysmal scouting programs have to be held somewhat accountable also.

My further problem with Daniels, stems from the memory I have of an epidemic of flu-like illness this team suffered thru several years back, and many from the Norfolk team I think(?) were brought up and played exceptionally well. What's happened to that squad? Of course that horrendous bus crash that happened shortly following the "flu affected season" did hurt many of those prospects, but should they not have rebounded?

No Kahuna, Daniels does not instill a lot of confedence for me.

Coastal_ I don't disagree with your concern about his apparent disconnect from the fans and the awkwardness of his interview. I don't think he meant to be "snarky" to the fans, though. I just think he was VERY uncomfortable addressing the season, because there is really no valid excuse he could give and he knows it. I think it's a case of no interview would have been better, but he probably would have been criticized for that as well. Anyway you look at it, it was bound to be a no win for him with fans who were already angry.

As far as being a paying customer, we are all that. I have been a FSTH since 99-00, so no one has to tell me the sad story. I guess I just choose to hope for something better from these changes, instead of dwelling on a negative past. We'll see shortly!

I don't think Karmanos was meaning to be snarky to the fans either, but he certainly has that way with the media, which in this market, is really an extension of the fanbase, considering we could count on one hand the local outlets we have for info.

So far, I like the changes, and I separate that from the issue I have with an owner who seems a out of touch.

Great points, hockeysmitten, and like you said, we'll see shortly what direction the front office will take us.

Edited by coastal_caniac

PK should simply stay away from the camera. 

I think that 95% of owners are likely pretty arrogant at some level. They are the untouchable super rich. So long as their financial ship is in order they are almost untouchable by the league even.

The arrogance I saw in that interview was a guy who figured he could wing a television interview, or if he was prepped he could go off script and just muse about things freestyle. He lacks the public relations skill of a JR or Francis or even a coach to do that. He ends up unfocused and unfiltered. Bad combo. 

He should either learn the art, allow himself to be coached and stay on script, or mostly stay off camera. Most owners are best served by staying in the background. PK would certainly seem to qualify for that characterization.