The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Welcome Back, Gleason!

Please speak for yourself. I for one do not welcome him back. We brought back a tired old retread. Something I thought we'd stop doing once JR was gone. I would put him at about number 5 on the def depth chart. He cant score, he doesn't use his body as much as he used to and he really cant move the puck well. I'm struggling to figure out your enthusiasm. This team is boardering on trainwreck and the season hasn't even started yet.

I too did NOT miss him. Thought we were smart to trade him and and disappointed in RF. I thought things were going to change.....

Same here. Very disappointing.

With all the available players out there, RF is willing to pay a million bucks for a guy who was a real sand bag the last two seasons.. I hope someone knows something that we dont... otherwise this was a bone-head move

I'm ok with the move. I hope the admins move some of the Gleason posts from the offseason thread to over here, they're more supportive which this thread appears to be about per the title.

Welcome back Timmy!

You guys are out of your minds.

This is a job well done by RF.  Before Muller took over I felt Gleason was our most reliable D-man.  I'm told - after he settled down and got healthy - he played very well for the Maple Leafs.  I understand most of you have a bad taste in your mouth due to a 5 year drought, but I'm surprised at the Gleason hate.  What other free agent defense-man is out there that is:

A.  Better than Gleason

B.  Willing to sign a one-year million dollar deal

Frankly, paying him a million dollars is chump change for what he brings to the table.  Hell it's chump change for our organization, period.  We sign entry-level and two-way contracts for close to this amount.  We take virtually no risk financially and it sets him up in a position to prove himself worthy to get paid what he use to.  This also brings major depth to our d-line without sinking money.

Lets also remember:  These 1 and 2 year low money deals are allowing us flexibility come trade dead-line.  Look at the big picture.

You guys are out of your minds.

This is a job well done by RF.  Before Muller took over I felt Gleason was our most reliable D-man.  I'm told - after he settled down and got healthy - he played very well for the Maple Leafs.  I understand most of you have a bad taste in your mouth due to a 5 year drought, but I'm surprised at the Gleason hate.  What other free agent defense-man is out there that is:

A.  Better than Gleason

B.  Willing to sign a one-year million dollar deal

Frankly, paying him a million dollars is chump change for what he brings to the table.  Hell it's chump change for our organization, period.  We sign entry-level and two-way contracts for close to this amount.  We take virtually no risk financially and it sets him up in a position to prove himself worthy to get paid what he use to.  This also brings major depth to our d-line without sinking money.

Lets also remember:  These 1 and 2 year low money deals are allowing us flexibility come trade dead-line.  Look at the big picture.

I agree with this. I admit that when I heard Francis was talking to Gleason, I wasn't excited about it. However, at 1.2 million dollars, it's hard to say he went wrong.

I'm OK on this move as well.  New GM, new coaching staff, new system.  Hopefully we'll see a new Gleason and he'll be able to bring some of that grit back.....I for one am tired of seeing my team lose and getting smacked around while doing so.

Welcome back Tim

Is this the same bunch that yelled when we let LaRose go? My god, we're doomed. Maybe if the fans gave mgmt an earful when they make these bonheaded moves, the team would not pull this crap on the fans as often.

I dont care if we paid him $250k. It's about performance, not money. If anything, Timmy is going to be every other team's punching bag. I predict he goes down to injury before the holiday break.

A bad signing (for any amount of money) and an even worse indication that the team will be little changed from the last 5 yrs.

Yes, I should have only spoken for myself....My Family Missed You, Timmy!  (How's that?!)

Toronto bought out his remaining 2 yrs so that's one reason we picked him up so cheap but, I think he wants to prove himself.  With the new staff, he will have to prove himself.  Ronnie, I feel, is trying to dig us out of many large contracts so he is doing what he can to get us back on our feet.  Timmy brings a lot to the locker room and ice so his knowledge will be greatly utilized.

For those thinking it's a bad move, all I can say is I hope (and think) you are wrong. E Staaly has had some slumping years and I admit I am not a fan of his...BUT...I am willing to give him a chance under the new management and coaching staff.

Have faith and cheer the whole team on!!!

Edited by Caniac5

Is this the same bunch that yelled when we let LaRose go? My god, we're doomed. Maybe if the fans gave mgmt an earful when they make these bonheaded moves, the team would not pull this crap on the fans as often.

I dont care if we paid him $250k. It's about performance, not money. If anything, Timmy is going to be every other team's punching bag. I predict he goes down to injury before the holiday break.

A bad signing (for any amount of money) and an even worse indication that the team will be little changed from the last 5 yrs.

In my opinion this is a short-sighted and emotional response.

First of all any professional sport on the planet is about money.

Secondly, if you think Tim Gleason is going to be the other team's punching bag you are sadly mistaken.  I could see your point if you were talking about a Ryan Murphy.  But Tim Gleason?  Are we talking about the same person?

I won't even address the last statement.  lol.

This is a great move (if I'm wrong you guys can/will remind me later in the season lol) Gleason brought more to the team than I'm sure anyone knows- one of this teams biggest problems is "heart" and "passion" for the game for several seasons it's been disappearing - to many players playing for themselves and not for each other... It makes a difference ask any team that raises the CUP.

MO - started the slide of Tim when JR brought him back in as coach- he told Gleason he could not play a physical game no fighting/no hitting-

Timmy is a leave it all on the ice hit or be hit team player but for a couple years he was told he couldn't play that way... He is certainly not the only (square peg)player that previous management-coaches insisted on pounding into a "round hole" Hopefully we've moved on from that-

WELCOME HOME TIMMY!!! LETS GO CANES!!!

Ready to get the boards off the windows on the island :) setup the chairs and watch the show!

I'm seeing words like "character", "heart", and "work-ethic" being thrown around when talking about Gleason.

If that is the case then why did he basically fold his tent and go through the motions last year?

He didn't like the direction the team was going or the way he was being coached so he quit on the team?

That doesn't sound like a character guy, or a guy that values work-ethic to me.

He was terrible here last year and everyone was calling for him to be traded, or said a change of scenery might be best. No amount of flawed coaching could make him as bad as he was last year. His game didn't pick up in Toronto either, he was -7 when he left here and finished at -20 for the season iirc. I realize the whole team collapsed, but you certainly can't say he played well.

Now we are supposed to be pleased that he is back, hoping that he can regain his form from years back? There seems to be a lot of that going around.

I don't mean to sound so negative, but I am seeing a lot of blind optimism for a bought-out, recycled player that most people wanted gone last year, and rightfully so.

Liles plays well and gets grief/little support. Gleason bombs or quits (take your pick), comes back, and now he is going to be some heart and soul force on our back-end.

I don't get it. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but logic/recent evidence suggests otherwise. I think we'll be lucky if he is a serviceable defenseman that isn't a liability.

Hear, hear! Welcome back Tim!

I hear the ones fretting about this, but the truth is, rentals are a regular part of reality in the NHL and million is cheap to find out whether the fire still burns in Timmy. Sometimes one must go away to appreciate what they had. We'll see if that's the case w/ Tim, and if not, no harm done.

Let me add: If Rosie has stayed in shape, we should get him back too. His energy is priceless.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Hear, hear! Welcome back Tim!

I hear the ones fretting about this, but the truth is, rentals are a regular part of reality in the NHL and million is cheap to find out whether the fire still burns in Timmy. Sometimes one must go away to appreciate what they had. We'll see if that's the case w/ Tim, and if not, no harm done.

Let me add: If Rosie has stayed in shape, we should get him back too. His energy is priceless.

We can only hope Rosie and Ronnie are reading this- come on Ronnie givem a call and Rosie pick up! Another heart and soul TEAM PLAYER guy who did what was asked of him and left it all on the ice every game-!

Not to mention sticking up for his teammates when is the last time we've seen someone in a Canes jersey do that?

LETS GO CANES!

Timmy welcome back, and im staying off another site, that likes to make  Timmy out to be a party type of guy...

Stupid signing of a guy who's best years were well over 2 seasons ago. He couldn't stay in the lineup on two really bad teams. Same olf crap, from the new GM. Boneheaded signing....just a complete waste of a roster spot for a guy who can't skate, won't play physical anymore, and provides no upside. 

I'd of been a "no", but the fact that Tim wanted to come back after basically being dumped, and at a cut rate no less, means a lot to me.  My big question is what kind of wheels will he bring this season?  With more teams moving to speed, I think there's going to be less room for the big bangers who can't skate well.  Hopefully Tim is working out this offseason with some of the skating coaches that Skinner(?) used last year.  At worst, let's hope he provides some depth and grit in front of the net when needed.

Gleason seems like he's coming back with the right attitude; I say best of luck, Tim!

Some of you seriously need to wake up, stand back and look at the big picture. Why do you think guys like LaRose and Gleason no longer had a place on this team? It was a shift in playing styles and systems (that didn't work by the way). They put a serious leash on Gleason in regards of hitting and physicality, trying to make him something he isn't, a puck moving defenseman. Muller was a joke and that "system" he ran (if that's what you want to call it) made him and the team look "lost" on most nights. No direction and no accountability. You are going to see the "real" Tim Gleason back this season. Wanna know how I know? Because Peters is a smart coach that plays to his players' strengths and doesn't force a system on them. He only expects hard work and being accountable for "your game". This is an environment Gleason will thrive in. 

Stupid signing of a guy who's best years were well over 2 seasons ago. He couldn't stay in the lineup on two really bad teams. Same olf crap, from the new GM. Boneheaded signing....just a complete waste of a roster spot for a guy who can't skate, won't play physical anymore, and provides no upside. 

This is the most bias and irrational assessment of a player and management I've ever read on this board. You should probably understand that the management team and coaching staff for this team over the course of the last few years has moved away from a style that complements Gleason's (and others) style of play. Can't skate? Really? WON'T play a physical game any more? Did you stop watching him play as soon as he left for Toronto? Because guess what he did there that got him 20 minutes a night? He skated hard and was hitting.....a lot. Watching Center Ice games last season (2 games a night even when the beloved Canes weren't on) I saw him quite a bit. If he brings that back to Carolina, and he will, you'll be eating those words come October. Realize also that players play how their coach expects them too and a drop off is as easily blamed on a coach as the player. Muller was a clown that expected players to suit his needs rather than him going to is players' strengths. 

Thank you, Cinco! My thoughts exactly. Must say that I'm a little shocked at some attitudes on here berating TG, who to my eyes, night in and night out was as frustrated with the last system as were the fans. I too watched a rejuvenated Gleason after his trade to Toronto, and that told me all I needed to know about the conditions under Muller.

Welcome back Timmy. Hope he makes it back in a meaningful role. The guy definitely deserves his shot, but can't simply be handed a 3/4 pairing. That's where the Canes seem to always get in trouble, as they have self-stated, being playing guys above their level. As a limited minutes 5/6 Gleason is a better alternative than Harry or Bellemore, IMO.

While Gleason was a better player in Toronto than Raleigh, he has his limits. I agree with what Craig Button said on NHL Network about Tim's signing. He discussed how Tim has problems turning back into the defensive one to then move the puck out quickly. Can't have that against better forwards as 3/4 pairing, but he can log valuable 5/6 minutes vs 4th liners.

At the price, with Tim's heart in it, and in the right role, IMO this can work.