The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Caniac5

Welcome Back, Gleason!

Even the year Cam finished with .923 sv% we were 26th. So if you really need to see Anton have a stellar year that doesn't amount to a hill of crap then by all means because that's what I think we're about to see.

bluedevil, I just completely disagree with that statement on Cam Ward. To be fair, and to frame my comments correctly, I am not a Cam apologist, nor do I have an undying feeling for him to stay on this team, but to assert that he is "the BIG ONE" completely overlooks the basic nature of this great game, TEAMWORK.

IMHO, it has been infinitely discussed, and in terms much more eloquently than mine, that the success of a team depends on unity of will. And while I'll not deny that the occasional goal Cam lets in are "back breakers", do you honestly believe that any goalie does not have these types of "cheap ones". Further, when you see statistics like coastal and super dave just cited above you, and recall how many games Cam has played in those years, when not hurt, how can you be oblivious to the fact that statistically goals will make their way in far more often than a goalie who faces 15-25 shots/game.

Do Cam's soft goals, particularly after the team has worked tremendously hard to stave off the onslaught of shots demoralize the team at that point, unquestionably. But, I'd argue that the situation is no different than its counterpoint of Cam absolutely "standing on his head", only to see an uncovered player have a tap in backdoor attempt for a goal.

No, I think it too easy and somewhat naïve to pin the past 5 years of failure on any one player even the constant "bulls eye" that Cam has generated. I for one watched The King perform in this last Cup finals, and was underwhelmed. If he is so great of a goalie, I ask, why did the Rangers not prevail. Yep, the answer is the NYR's failed, AS A TEAM.

Then, to somehow equate all of Cam's perceived woes in terms of his salary just amazes me. How often has it been stated that Cam was not responsible for the terms of his exorbitant contract? Put that on JR and his agent. I don't believe that Cam sat with JR and said that I'll not play for this team for less that $6 million, do you? Thus he is the victim of his success as well as JR's enamored ego.

Well shots are one thing, but there are shots and there are SHOTS. Last year there was improvement on defense. Less point blank shots with a defender trailing the play looking disgusted at himself. Less, mind you, not good. 

Goals against is the ultimate stat and on that one we were #19, and for a good part of the season we were #15, up from #29, one removed from dead last, the previous year.

If Peters can bring systemic improvement and defensive puck possession and quick passes and out of the zone, and at least a little buy-in and improvement from certain big named forwards, our goals against can be at the bottom of the top half, say #12, even with this group. 

Not overwhelming, but quite possibly good enough. Chicago was #12 last year. 

Our team is talent slanted to offense. One can quite reasonably debate the wisdom of this approach to building a team, but overall it was the utter lack of offensive production, much of it from a pathetic PP that cost us. We were actually lower on the list of goals for at #22, than we were for goals against. Big problem for a team relatively well stocked with scorers. 

We need to keep moving the ball forward on defense, but for this group, as it is currently configured, to surprise, it needs to be in the top 10 in scoring. A decent power play would help a lot with that.

Edited by remkin

No but he is the BIG ONE.  From his contract, to his inconsistency.  I blame him just as much as the D over the past 5 years.

Just keep overlooking that shots against stat and throwing the blame on Cam Ward.  Let's look at Canes goalies as a whole when it comes to the workload of a goalie and let's measure them against the Kings, who hoisted the Cup.  The Kings finished 2nd in the league in shots against, averaging 26.2 SA/G (2149 for the season).  The Canes were 21st, averaging 30.9 (2537 for the season).  The Canes' goalie saw 388 more shots than the Kings' goalie.  That's about 15 games worth of extra shots (as judged by the Kings SA/G).  It makes a difference in wear and tear on a goalie and just the odds of letting in those extra goals. 

Again, this doesn't excuse spotty play, but it has to be considered as a factor when looking at the total picture.  The Canes got good goaltending out of Khudo and Peters played well when leaned on.  It still didn't result in the Canes making the playoffs. Amazingly though, Khudo's rate of points in the standings (at 19-14-1 for 39 pts) over 82 games would have just snuck the Canes into the playoffs at 94 points.  Of course, what goalie is going to play 82 games?

Sure hope Tim can play the way he use to play when he 1st came here! Hopefully the new coaching staff will let the Canes get back into physical hockey! Gleason did have a very good physical edge to him back in the day!! Welcome back Tim!

I have seen too many soft goals to not blame Cam.  There were times, several times when we were out for the count within the first 10 minutes and it wasn't even the defenses fault.  If it wasn't forK we would have had the 1st-3rd pick this off season in the draft.  Cam had 18 losses last season.  18 LOSSES!  Meanwhile, K had a winning record WITH THE SAME EXACT D.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.  Keep telling yourselves Cam is not to blame and the defense is.  If the defense was truly to blame K would not have a winning record.

What can I say....Cam is incompetent.  He is responsible from probably over half of our losses in the past 5 seasons.  The reason he has a high save % is also because he faces more shots.  While I do agree our D is crap.  You cannot look past last season and compare what Cam a veteran did to K a non-veteran did,

I hope Gleason is serviceable, but he is the only member of the D that has been around for each of those last 5 seasons of horrible defense.

Even if he's used solely as depth, he's got to be better than Komi was, doesn't he?

But I did find out something about Komi recently that gave me a new found level of respect for the man.  Apparently he dated Elisha Cuthbert before she married Dion Phaneuf! :P

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

Well, we covered the Staals, Semin, Wardo, the overall D and Gleason. Sounds like they all sucked last year. Looking forward to 2014-2015.

I agree. The guys getting the money are not peforming. I had this discussion with my ticket rep. The Sales dept is mtg with RF next week and part of those discussions involves fan feedback, which I provided plenty of.

My frustration with the team goes far beyond the signing of tim. He was just the catalyst based on this thread. If it makes everyone happy, I'll just go with the most realistic viewpoint;

he's cheap

he's got experience with the team

we need a 5/6 dman

If you feel you're not getting your money's worth, maybe you should look at the players getting the largest percentage of it. We're paying Eric Staal 9.25 million this year. If he takes the same number of shots next season as he did last, that's $40k+ per shot. If his brother Jordan matches his shot output, he'll be a relative bargain at $36k+ per shot. These are our number-one and -two centers.

Alex? 210 shots. $33k per if that number doesn't change.

Meanwhile, our top goal scorer was ninth in the league in shots, had a better shooting percentage (12%) than any of those guys (and I mean, it's not even close - particularly with the Staals) and every shot he took cost us "just" $22k.

Our D is not the source of your disdain. Until we find a PP and/or shoot a whole lot more at even strength, you're likely to continue feeling ripped off. It sure sounds like we have a coach/GM combo in place that is determined to make both those things happen. We'll soon know if they put their money where their mouths are.

I agree. The guys getting the money are not peforming. I had this discussion with my ticket rep. The Sales dept is mtg with RF next week and part of those discussions involves fan feedback, which I provided plenty of.

My frustration with the team goes far beyond the signing of tim. He was just the catalyst based on this thread. If it makes everyone happy, I'll just go with the most realistic viewpoint;

he's cheap

he's got experience with the team

we need a 5/6 dman

And I think that's the PR message the team is trying to send with its headline on the announcement at the main page,  "A CLEAN SLATE." He's in as a 5/6 and any additional ice time will be earned, as Bill (The Hammer) Peters puts it.

To those hating on Cam I'd submit the approximately equivalent point that I made about defense; The older a goalie gets the better he gets - but only if you protect him from injury when he's tried to do too much. One blessing JR gave this team was his firsthand knowledge of goaltending. Cam is young enough and this team has taken good enough care of him that his best years may well be ahead of him - and though some try, you just can't discount the importance of having gone all the way and won the Cup as a goaltender. It's maybe the most pressure in professional sports, and it gets higher with every step you go. A #1 goalie is like a starting pitcher in baseball, but one who starts every night. I think a healthy Cam and a healthy Kudo battling it out for the top spot can only be good for the team.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Even if he's used solely as depth, he's got to be better than Komi was, doesn't he?

But I did find out something about Komi recently that gave me a new found level of respect for the man.  Apparently he dated Elisha Cuthbert before she married Dion Phaneuf! :P

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

There's a joke in here somewhere… maybe Sean Avery will pay us a visit with the punchline!

I like the idea of bikini pics site-wide all summer, no team news at all, and we'll just see who shows up at training camp!       :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :cheers:  :banana:  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well, the picture does follow from the context of the discussion. And it's not a "bikini pic", it's a picture of Elisha Cuthbert, who just "happens" to be wearing a bikini. ;) 

Whattausay, I had to read your post twice before I realized that you thought the thread should have been locked after the Cuthbert picture, not because of it. :)

Haha! Glad you took it the right way! Just saying this thread has gone way off topic. But, like someone mentioned before, it IS off season so any discussion keeps the board alive. Elisha definitely keeps it interesting!

OK, if we are allowed to post a picture like that, let's at least have it mean something to the team...like this one!

ashleye9.jpg