The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Hockey News Dumps on Our Logo

The odds-makers give us virtually no chance of making the playoffs and now The Hockey News Dumps on our logo. They call it the worst of the worst The Hockey News

Yes, the Hurricanes have a terrible logo, one that was almost unanimously voted No. 30 by a group of seven THN staffers. It’s most commonly referred to as the Toilet Bowl logo because, well, it looks like it’s being flushed.

Those from the far north sure like to pick on us.

The odds-makers give us virtually no chance of making the playoffs and now The Hockey News Dumps on our logo. They call it the worst of the worst The Hockey News

Those from the far north sure like to pick on us.

well, the logo and team will be flushed if we miss the playoffs again this year.

I'd agree that ours isn't the best, but there's ducks, penguins, and a leaf... Really? I always thought our secondary flag logo would eventually make it as our primary. Where would we be placed if the Seals were still around? Then there's the old Gordon's Fisherman. Get a grip THN

Edited by Whattausay

I've always liked our logo, but I've wondered at times if we should just turn it upside down so the "eye" looks more like a puck in motion.

They always pick on our logo. 

I don't know, to me there are couple of iconic logos due to history and one or two cool modern ones, and most of the rest are...whatever. 

At least ours is completely unique.

I don't mind ours, but I hate how we use it.  Watching the Canes on tv last season it jumped out at me on a number of occasions that our crest looked wimpy compared to the other teams, especially if we were in our home whites.  That's inexcusable for a hockey team.

Here are my fixes:

• Change the gray edging to black. On tv or from from further away the gray blends in with the white on either side making the crest appear even smaller than it is.
  • Keep the width the same but Increase the height by about 15% so the whole thing is a bit "rounder" and takes up more jersey space vertically.
  • Tilt the crest at a greater angle.  Seems like that's how it started out, but on our newer jerseys it seems to have gone almost completely horizontal.

Those minor changes wouldn't increase the overall size much, but would make a big difference in how it would appear on jersey.  

Here's a picture showing the difference between the two. Very small difference in actual size, but big difference as to how big it appears imo.

Canes+logos.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

My fix would be to dump the new sweaters,. Go back to the original design. The logo was a bit bigger and the sweaters had some character.  Now it looks like we just stuck the logo on a generic jersey.

I like our logo. Not the best but certainly not the worse logo

My fix would be to dump the new sweaters,. Go back to the original design. The logo was a bit bigger and the sweaters had some character.  Now it looks like we just stuck the logo on a generic jersey.

I like our logo. Not the best but certainly not the worse logo

I second your thoughts, and I also agree that they should bring back the warning flags too.

4 comments:

1. BD58, you think there is any coincidence that the "almost used logo" has a visible "H" (as in Hartford) embedded in it? It's hideous anyway.

2. Lake, I like your eye better than the one currently in use.

3. I agree that the flags would be awesome as the primary logo, maybe with the "eye" logo somewhere more subtle on the unis.

4. At least the Hockey News (unlike NBC Sports, Hockey Network, and TSN) knows we have a team.

You know that pic I posted was almost the Canes logo right?

BD won't cough up the source, so I'll give it to ya'll.   http://www.icethetics.co/blog/2014/7/14/designing-the-90s-nhl-part-2-expansion-relocation

On first seeing this, I was shocked, but there's some actual cool stuff in this concept.  The colors completely suck, but that's another story.

I kind of like the aspect of a pirate ship lost in the fury, also part of the concept:

DJa9Bh4.jpg

Again, terrible colors, but the ideas is good if done completely differently.

That said, I like the simplicity of the current logo with the timeless primary colors.  It is a keeper.

That thing bd posted is god awful.

I can't stand our secondary logo.  It's not even a representation of a hurricane warning flag.

I like the primary logo though.

Speaking of logos, the Pittsburgh Penguins has to be the worst in the league.  Talk about ugly.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm really curious. So our logo last season didn't appear anemic if not downright wimpy compared to the other teams because it's so small to anyone else?  It jumped out at me most games I watched. Here's a couple pictures as a reminder:

455001035_slide.jpg481901887_slide.jpg456605869_slide.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

Want a bigger logo?  How about the El Paso Chihuahuas?  Minor league baseball is great.

1405631806000-chihuahuas-jersey717.jpg

That.........is.......awesome! 

The Canes could borrow my swirl, I mean I just stole it from somewhere anyways. Or a huge 3-D image of a Hurricane from space.

The Canes intentionally decreased the logo size.  Something about "freedom of movement."

Yep.  Did wonders for the team as we found out.

The Canes intentionally decreased the logo size.  Something about "freedom of movement."

The bigger logo also did wonders for the team.

I remember the statement.  It was someone in the front office speculating that maybe a smaller crest would improve "freedom of movement".  If tht's how we're going to make decisions, what about the speculation that a wimpy crest may generate subconscious disdain that provides the opposing team a psychological advantage on the ice?  

Heck, if we want to maximize freedom of movement lets shrink the current crest by about 70% and put it over the left breast as a badge like many MLB jerseys.  While it's not a fashion choice I'd recommend, at least then our uniforms would be unique in the NHL. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I just want to reiterate, although I don't think our logo is the best in the NHL. I'm not criticizing it per se.  What I'm critical of is how the team implements it.   If we're going to use the eye of a hurricane, lets use THE EYE OF A HURRICANE, not the eye of a hurricane.