The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

The Hockey News Dumps on Our Logo

Yup. We should go with that logo and that jersey as our primary and make the Flush our alt - or just retire it altogether and use the hurricane "square" from the flag as our alt. 

As for Pirate references, I'm "pirated out" from living in Greenville. If I never hear "A Pirate's Life for Me" or "Yo Ho Ho" again, it'll be too freakin' soon. Yes I know - Eastern Carolina was largely settled by pirate descendants and of course Blackbeard made his home here. But for cryin' out loud, can we please get over it already?!

Yup. We should go with that logo and that jersey as our primary and make the Flush our alt - or just retire it altogether and use the hurricane "square" from the flag as our alt. 

As for Pirate references, I'm "pirated out" from living in Greenville. If I never hear "A Pirate's Life for Me" or "Yo Ho Ho" again, it'll be too freakin' soon. Yes I know - Eastern Carolina was largely settled by pirate descendants and of course Blackbeard made his home here. But for cryin' out loud, can we please get over it already?!

Can really never get too much "pirate"!  Now, somebody pass the Rum!

I think it's hard to design a logo with for something that doesn't bring an immediate image to mind.  The image I think of with "hurricane" is destruction.  I don't hate the sightless eye, but it isn't great as a logo.  I'd rather have something with a hockey stick hoisting correct flags (yes 2).

Edited by super_dave_1

Surprise, surprise, the Blackhawks get the best logo.  I still don't think we had the worst, but whatever.  They had readers redesign the logos for the teams and there were a couple of Canes ones that they liked...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/10-of-our-favorite-logo-redesigns-from-our-readers/

fandesign-hurricanes.jpgfandesign-hurricanes2.jpg

They're both interesting.  I'm just not sure if they're an upgrade or not.  Thoughts?

Edited by RNT82

The second one isn't aesthetically pleasing and switching to the Whalers colors is a non-starter anyways given NC State and PNC. 

I see how using Interlocking letters honors the Whalers but I don't see how forming a fish with them does.  A whale is not a fish, and I'm wondering if changing it to a whale's tail might infringe on the rights of the city of Hartford. I'm not positive (and not sure exactly when it happened), but I believe when a team relocates these days it's the old city that retains the rights to it's name and previous trademarks?

BUT, the concept used in the first one might be a very good one.  I wonder if an interlocking "C" and "H" could be designed in a way to form a hurricane swirl with the overall essence of our present one?

Edited by LakeLivin

I think the designer was having fun with us. Turned on its side it looks downright amusing.

fandesign-hurricanes_zps5631d7b2.jpg

A: A Canes fan with a frown

B: A Canes fan with a mustache

C: A Canes fan with helmet hair

D: A very bad St Nick

E: A character left behind from a performance of Spamalot

It looks pretty funny if you turn it upside down the other way too.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

lol..we could have some fun with it

Regardless of what they think, a Hurricane is a mighty force and everyone is scared of it...until you put it on a jersey!  :tsktsk:

Edited by Caniac5

I think the designer was having fun with us. Turned on its side it looks downright amusing.

fandesign-hurricanes_zps5631d7b2.jpg

A: A Canes fan with a frown

B: A Canes fan with a mustache

C: A Canes fan with helmet hair

D: A very bad St Nick

E: A character left behind from a performance of Spamalot

What springs to my mind is that if you add horns you've got a viking.  Good for all past or present Canes that come from one of the Nordic countries. :grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

And just to revisit Legend's comment on the green one.

Many have referred to our current logo a the swirl of water in a toilet, that green one adds the rim of the seat.

Guys, sorry, neither work for me.  The first one looks like a crude drawing from a sex ed book.  No thanks.

The first one looks like a crude drawing from a sex ed book.  No thanks.

I did not see that. Now I can't unsee it. Yikes!

Can we PLEASE put a second flag on the third jersey?

Hmm, 2 flags signal a hurricane warning whereas 1 flag signals just a storm warning.  Maybe the brass knew something we didn't when they designed the alternate uniforms? :grin: Hopefully this year we'll need that second flag .

Lake, I'm a "weather guy".  That's why my name starts with "wx", the shorthand for weather.  It always mildly disturbed me that the team signals the "Carolina Storm".  But I've learned to live with it and roll with it.  Just fuggetaboutit for a while.

I actually did a double take earlier in preseason when watching the Islander's feed.  They had an advertisement for "Hurricane Grill" which had a true hurricane warning flag.  My brain thought for a second that maybe they are changing some of the names of the food places inside the PNC.  Alas, of course it was on the Island up in NY.  Just caused a double take.

Many of the logos are ridiculous. It's hard to believe anyone thinks ours is the worst.  The Ducks logo (and name) are wow-less.  The Stars logo is bland.  The Pens logo is juvenile. And the Wild's landscape logo is hard to see. I do like Lakelivin's rendering of the Hurricane logo better than ours.