The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

OK, I'm Confused

The roster for the upcoming prospect camp lists two Chiassons, Ryan and Mike.  The bio for Mike (http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/mike_chiasson_758212.html) says he was born in Henderson, NV and is the son of the late Steve Chiasson.  But the roster lists Ryan as being born in Henderson.  I assume this an error.  Mike wears #3 in honor of his father, a number that is "retired" by the Canes.  On the chance that Mike makes the team, I wonder if he could wear #3.

This may be stupid g105, but why could the brother not be born in the same town as his other brother? I mean, I am unaware of the family's specifics, but did both brothers' births precede their father's tragic accident? If so, than could not mom just have had both in Henderson?

As to your 2nd question, I'm not sure what rules apply to "retired numbers", but I would bet that they could be suspended in a case like this.

I'm curious, Raven. You've stated this dogmatically, but who governs this, the team or is it a league rule? Or do you even know? As to my thought, if a team governs the retirement of a players #, then don't you imagine that they'd waive that rule if a player's son joined the team, particularly when said player was killed so tragically?

Now if the league dictates "retirement of player's numbers", then that's another matter.

Maybe this is a question for Chuck Kaiton?

Edited by KJUNKANE

As I understand it, the Canes have officially RETIRED three numbers; 2, 10, & 17.  But 3 and 63 are "reserved" numbers, whatever that means.  I guess it's a lower level for special numbers.  So I guess it's the team's call on reserved numbers.  Of interest, Josh Wesley was drafted and technically could make the team.  Also, Francis and Brind'Amour each have a son that could play (unlikely) for the Canes.  Leads to some interesting situations.  I'd think that the Canes would allow Mike Chiasson to wear #3 if things worked out for him here.

As for NHL retirement #'s, I think 99 is the only one that is a no-no for anyone, ever again.

Somebody want to contact Kaiton about this?

Edited by g105

g105, I am thinking the roster is correct.

The bio lists Henderson, NV is Mike's "hometown", so they didn't necessarily mean that he was born there - folks will often refer to where they primarilly grew up as their hometown, even if they weren't born there. As best as I can tell, Henderson is where their Mom is from, and where the family has lived in the off-season. As Mike was born on March 28, I assume he would have been born in Michigan, since Steve was playing for Detroit at that time. Ryan was born on June 24, so I assume the family was back in Nevada by then.

As for the jersey number, I don't know what the team would decide if he were to actually make the team and wanted to wear the number 3, but at last years development camp he wore 33, so I would tend to think that would be the direction they would go.