The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

McClement

Great pickup. Ronnie is backing up Peters' dedication to a puck-possession game. It would have been nice if Loktionov was ready, but he wasn't and the fact that Ronnie recognized it, let him go and made this move gives me a lot of faith that he's done waiting for a winning season. 

I like the McClement signing.  I also think we are in for a winning season.  We didn't make a lot of moves, but obvioulsy RF thought we had the players to win.  If we didn't have the talent to win, why fire the coach?

If you think that this season is going to be a winning one then be prepared for a huge let down.

I'm expecting the same results as the last 4 years.  Anything better than that is gravy(which would taste awesome on :crow: )

If you think that this season is going to be a winning one then be prepared for a huge let down.

If you think the sun is coming up tomorrow you are in for a big letdown as ours will be going supernova leaving us with a pulsar.

:omg::sarcasmalert:

Here go go again.  Blind Optimism.  We have less talent than last year and even less than the year before.  If we couldn't win then why are we going to win now.  There is no evidence what so ever to suggest that we're in for a winning season.  Let me guess Lidnholm is going to net us 80 points and be the difference maker?

Go ahead and bash me.  I am right every year.

Well okay then.  That settles that.

Going forward, I'll be sure to pass all my opinions through your perfect record filter. :razz:

Oh, and since you missed it the first time bluedevil, the sarcasm warning still applies. 

And back on topic, I agree with top-shelf, it was a good signing.

A blind optimist is not something I'd call Coastal.

He very clearly has stated what he thinks of this team he just doesn't repeat it in every topic in the forum.

Here go go again.  Blind Optimism.  We have less talent than last year and even less than the year before.  If we couldn't win then why are we going to win now.  There is no evidence what so ever to suggest that we're in for a winning season.  Let me guess Lidnholm is going to net us 80 points and be the difference maker?

If personnel was the issue, why fire the coach?  How do we have less talent than last year?  Who left that matters?

Ruutu/Lotk and Jokinen the year before that.  Our forwards have gotten weaker but our blue line has gotten better.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Skinner-Staal-Jokinen/Ruutu/Lotk

is not better than 

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Skinner-Staal-..........boychuck/terry

Is this what you are implying?

Edited by bluedevil58

Ruutu/Lotk and Jokinen the year before that.  Our forwards have gotten weaker but our blue line has gotten better.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

is not better than 

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

How often was

Skinner-Staal-Ruutu/Lotk a line last year?  As I recall, the most common 2nd line, in the never ending shuffle was

Gerbe/Staal/Dwyer

Skinner / Staal / Lindholm should be much better!

bluedevil58, I might agree with you, except sittler on Canes Country has just posted that Boychuk is busting his rear this offseason, and he (sittler) feels like Boychuk will surprise most everyone. Sittler seems to not only be well connected, but knows a hell of a lot more than me, and I suspect you, so I take that as some leveling of your comparison. Besides, in my eyes , Loki was looking good, but I think both Ruu and Jokinen were fading out, likely due to their displeasure with the coaches. Better to have one hyped up rookie itching to prove his naysayers wrong than 2 disgruntled Finns!

I hear ya.  The guy tore it up in the AHL last season and in all honesty I felt like he wasn't given a fair chance last season in the NHL and I liked what I saw from him when he did play.  Give the guy top 6 minutes on a consistent basis and let's see what happens.  It's either now or never.  Worst case scenario we have Terry and he will give us a chance to win shoot out.

I wish you two would post links.... along with the references you make to something you read that somebody said.

Mostly because I would read that stuff.  :)

If you don't know how, somebody around here can help you out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sorry coastal, but I've frequently referred to my "computer ignorance", so there you have it. In my defense, if you look, I do comment "sittler over on Canes Country" as the source. It was in the several day commentary there that Bob Wage ran, I guess I just assumed you perused that site and would recognize his name, as he seems well connected to hockey, both @ player level and organizationwise.

Sorry coastal, but as you intimate, and I have referred to on several occasions, I am very "computer challenged", so cannot make these citations.In my defense though, I did state"sittler over on Canes Country" made the comment, and thought most, and certainly you, would recognize that name and the website. If not, its the article on "the wide open' state of the forward group authored by Bob Wage, Sattler's reference to Boychuk is about 2/3rdsof the way through. Good reading.

Sorry KJUN, I wasn't aware of that.  :)  And yes, I did recognize the website and the names.

Check your PM's, I've left you some simple instructions (hopefully) on how to post up a hyperlink to an article.

I looked, but never did find the reference you mention on Boychuk, but I'll look again.  Thanks!

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sorry coastal, but I've frequently referred to my "computer ignorance", so there you have it.

Is that why your crawfish still doesn't have a hockey stick in his hands? :)

I wish you two would post links.... along with the references you make to something you read that somebody said.

Mostly because I would read that stuff.  :)

If you don't know how, somebody around here can help you out.

I thought we were not allowed to post links????Course, im wrong now, because Canes country was listed, great site!

I thought we were not allowed to post links????Course, im wrong now, because Canes country was listed, great site!

Dinz you crack me up.

Hope all is well up there in Mass.

I hear ya.  The guy tore it up in the AHL last season and in all honesty I felt like he wasn't given a fair chance last season in the NHL and I liked what I saw from him when he did play.  Give the guy top 6 minutes on a consistent basis and let's see what happens.  It's either now or never.  Worst case scenario we have Terry and he will give us a chance to win shoot out.

Given the roster, it looks like Boychuk will get his opportunity to make the team, but he's no top-six forward. We're carrying 11 forwards at the moment and that 12th spot is likely his to win or lose. He has great potential and showed it  last year. 

For the record, I never said we will (or won't) have a winning season. I said that based on McClement and other moves, it looks like Francis is not going to be content with anything less than one. The McClement and Malone signings suggest both GM and coach are determined to roll four lines consistently. Loktionov held promise but is too small; Malone is much bigger and is probably ready for fourth-line duty.

I'm guessing McClement gets third-line center between Gerbs and Tlusty and Malone centers the fourth with Boychuk and Dwyer. I think we'll roll Lindy-Nash-Skins at second, which they earned last year. And the fact that we're now carrying five centers hopefully means Eric goes to his brother's wing with Semin as the first line.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

is not better than 

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

The optimism - at least for me - is from having a coach that knows what he's doing.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that we have A LOT of skill on this team, we simply haven't had a coach that can translate that skill into wins.  Kirk was a bad coach.  A really bad coach.  Bill Peters on the other hand?  His goal is to max out our group.

When you compare the players we have to others around the league, we stack up decent enough.  We may not be an LA Kings or Blackhawks, but when playoffs come anything can happen.

Ultimately though - if I had to choose between being optimistic or defeatist - I choose optimist.

Edited by triplesek

The optimism - at least for me - is from having a coach that knows what he's doing.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that we have A LOT of skill on this team, we simply haven't had a coach that can translate that skill into wins.  Kirk was a bad coach.  A really bad coach.  Bill Peters on the other hand?  His goal is to max out our group.

When you compare the players we have to others around the league, we stack up decent enough.  We may not be an LA Kings or Blackhawks, but when playoffs come anything can happen.

Ultimately though - if I had to choose between being optimistic or defeatist - I choose optimist.

Kirk was not a bad coach - he was the wrong coach paired with the wrong GM. He's worked behind the the Canadien's bench, and believe me, that is an opportunity "bad" coaches simply are not given. He will be a successful coach in this league, probably for a long time, and probably sooner than you think. The youth had clearly bought in, but Kirk's hands were tied from holding veterans accountable. Now that's out the window. It wouldn't surprise me if he read Staal the riot act at some point last year and Eric complained to JR about it. A rift like that never goes away, and my guess is that Eric got to sign off on Peters - with one condition: He's out of excuses. 

Kirk was not a bad coach - he was the wrong coach paired with the wrong GM. He's worked behind the the Canadien's bench, and believe me, that is an opportunity "bad" coaches simply are not given. He will be a successful coach in this league, probably for a long time, and probably sooner than you think. The youth had clearly bought in, but Kirk's hands were tied from holding veterans accountable. Now that's out the window. It wouldn't surprise me if he read Staal the riot act at some point last year and Eric complained to JR about it. A rift like that never goes away, and my guess is that Eric got to sign off on Peters - with one condition: He's out of excuses. 

He may be a good assistant coach, but he looked like he was in over his head behind the bench during the games. I have no idea about his hands being tied, but it would not surprise me that JR did some of that. Even so, it doesn't account for his uselessness during the games.