The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

McClement

He may be a good assistant coach, but he looked like he was in over his head behind the bench during the games. I have no idea about his hands being tied, but it would not surprise me that JR did some of that. Even so, it doesn't account for his uselessness during the games.

On the decision to hire Muller in the first place, I think JR allowed Ronnie to pick Muller, knowing Ronnie would be GM in the last year of Muller's contract. IMO, Ronnie wanted a coach with proven ability in leading kids. Muller had it at the college and AHL levels and a strong case can be made that he used it to good effect here with our youngsters, who had clearly had bought in. But if JR undermined his authority by protecting the vets, that buy-in would only achieve so much. I don't think Ronnie ever suspected that, after being allowed to choose the coach, JR would side with the vets rather than support his assistant GM, poisoning the relationship between Muller and the vets. So Muller was never going to be successful here as long as those veterans were here - or more accurately, THAT veteran. I think it mostly came down to one, the same one JR kowtowed to in bringing in wing after wing instead of just saying, "this is it, Eric. There are only so many wingers in this game."

In fact, I think Gleason bought in, and might have supported Muller in the room, which JR saw as a challenge to Eric. Remember, a whole lot of people were calling for the C to go to Gleason in the strike-shortened season and the season before it. If I'm right, it would explain why Francis wasted no time bringing Timmy back this summer. It might well be one more signal to Eric that clown time is over (hat tip to Elvis Costello!). 

In terms of Muller's current job, my guess is that Ronnie, a playing contemporary of Kirk's, warned Muller the minute the season ended that he wouldn't be coming back as coach because he couldn't unload Eric's contract. Francis probably made a phone call on Muller's behalf, explaining the situation to Hitch in St. Louis - which would explain why Muller was signed there so soon after being fired here.

Regarding JR, it was clear (to me, anyway) that he was about three sandwiches shy of a picnic (hat tip to George Carlin!) when he gave Brindy that multiyear deal at his age. Sadly Karmanos - as Cup Drunk as the rest of the org if not personally pouring the drinks - and didn't see it, and missed it again when JR got nearly as crazy with Staal's and Ward's deals. That said, in both JR's and PK's defense, they had worked together so long toward that goal that, even if someone in the org had had a moment of clarity and said, "Whoa there - this is still a small-market team, but we're throwing money around like sailor on two-day shore leave," I'm not sure it would have make a lick of difference. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

TS, you have a lot of inside knowledge about what goes on at EMR.  Either that, or you are adding 2 and 2 and getting about 29.   I just know what I saw behind the bence while at games, and while watching on TV.  I saw a guy that didn't have a clue.

Edited by super_dave_1

To me, Muller was in WAY over his head in a head coaching position.  Terrible situational coach. Clueless sounds about right.

At least that's what I saw..

Edited by coastal_caniac

It's what I saw two years ago and I didn't hide my feelings about it. No passion, no emotion, ridiclous canned responses to questions, fourth liners out there when the game is on the line in the last minute, playing people out of position, constant mixing of lines that smacked of desperation, etc..

He may be a good assistant coach, but he looked like he was in over his head behind the bench during the games. I have no idea about his hands being tied, but it would not surprise me that JR did some of that. Even so, it doesn't account for his uselessness during the games.

During games, he was about as flexible as a steel I-beam.    Very frustrating.