The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
weehawk

Off-Season Poll

Off-Season Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canes off-season as of August

• Love it! Best in years. SC here we come.
    • Pretty good. We now look better on paper than we did last year.
    • Not bad. Basically the same team as last year.
    • Not great. We lost more than we gained.
    • A disaster! We're on no one's list of potential playoff teams and all the impact players are gone.

Not confident at all...I think nothing of mass substance has been done with the players...just shuffling at the top.

Ronnie did the best he could.

New coaching staff is the "wild card"----I have good expectations of the beginnings of a "culture change".

Unless it deals with yogurt or Boy George, I don't wanna hear about "culture" anymore.

Unless it deals with yogurt or Boy George, I don't wanna hear about "culture" anymore.

You could of stopped at yogurt

I'm really feeling optomistic.  I think Muller was really the main problem as well as goalie injuries.  If Peters can get our offense to have a bounce back year and get them to reach at least their career averages instead of career worsts(last season almost everyone) and Ward and Kudo stay healthy they could be best goalie tandem in league.  I like the couple of experienced big guys we added to the 3rd and 4th lines, Lindholm should have a break out year, and I'm expecting a lot out of Skinner, I expect him to be in the top 5 for goals scored this year in the league.  There is really no reason for this to not happen unless the new coaching staff is a failure and our top 6 have all given up and lost motivation to play for the Canes, otherwise I think we got a playoff team this year. 

Normally I would agree goalie injuries are a negative game changer but not last year. When Peters was needed he got hot, just when he started going cold Khudobin was back.

Goalie injuries sadly made us better last year.

I will however bite on Cam taking way too long to get going and playing so bad that his injury made us better.

But at least he stopped before he got to the medical kind of cultures.  :coverears:

I agree w/ Legend, the goalie excuse sounds good, but is inaccurate for the reasons he listed. Was E.'s knee a problem? Semin's wrist? Those I might consider.

As to the poll, I have a quibble with the option's wording, in that I would not call last year's team "not bad", and under "pretty good" I would not say it would be because we now look better on paper.

This team is about as exact of a copy of a team as can happen in the NHL. These are basically THE same players, especially considering that Gleason was on the team last year too.

There are basically three reasons to think that this same team might surprise and do much better, plus unknowns.

1. The best veterans return to form with better health (E., Semin, Ward, Tlusty, etc).

2. A couple of key very young players advance and improve: especially Lindholm and Murphy.

3. The new coaching and management fix key problems (PP) and "motivational" issues.

4. Unknowns. (Boychuk, McGinn, Ward plays better and gets traded for a key player).

As I've opined countless times, I really think those things can happen and the chances are much better than most people think. But I thought that last year too, so in the end I wait for the team to show us.

I do think, as I and Coastal have pointed out, that the schedule is kinder this year, especially the first 15 games. So I think we'll find out pretty soon if things need the bomb. We must open those 15 games with a solid, honest (not NHL) winning percentage after 15 games. Anything below .500 will need a hard look.

So I would vote: Not Bad. Basically the same team, but the new coach and management and better health will get our best players back in stride, Murphy and Lindholm will improve and contribute, Skinner will pass and play marginally better defense. Then we need at least a mid pack PP. That one I'll really believe when I see it. I saw it at the end of the year when Kirk FINALLY got the Staals off the top unit and went w/ quicker players. But Peters talk about getting Eric more PP points makes me a bit nervous. So they have to show me, so Not Bad rather than Pretty good.

:DOkay, Okay---really boring time---to generate 3-4 comments on my use of the word "culture."

Let's revise  that to " I hope to see the beginnings of an "attitude adjustment" by the team.

Meaning they go into the games to win them-----every game. Failure is not an option !   :D

As far as player signings, we didn't really make a splash, but I don't think we were in a position to sign any big name guys anyway.  I think Peters is going to give this group a chance to prove themselves and evaluate what he has.  I don't expect much success this year, but I would like to see improvement.  I can live with short-term failures if we can build success in the long term.

Well, I think RF did the best he could with the hand he was dealt.  I don't think he made us worse, especially in terms of contracts and agreements with the signings that he was able to complete.  IF the old coach and the old GM were not the problem, it is going to be another long season to be a Canes fan I am afraid.  BUT.....I am giving them the chance to prove themselves and I hope that the issues were primarily with those who have departed.

I'm really feeling optomistic.  I think Muller was really the main problem as well as goalie injuries.  If Peters can get our offense to have a bounce back year and get them to reach at least their career averages instead of career worsts(last season almost everyone) and Ward and Kudo stay healthy they could be best goalie tandem in league.  I like the couple of experienced big guys we added to the 3rd and 4th lines, Lindholm should have a break out year, and I'm expecting a lot out of Skinner, I expect him to be in the top 5 for goals scored this year in the league.  There is really no reason for this to not happen unless the new coaching staff is a failure and our top 6 have all given up and lost motivation to play for the Canes, otherwise I think we got a playoff team this year. 

Okay, we now know danimal is Peter Karmanos' board name :thumbsup2:

But at least he stopped before he got to the medical kind of cultures.  :coverears:

I was on a roll ;D

colliefan, that's the best RF can do for the next two years.

Part of the problem, outside of those huge salaries, is that we are not yet a desired location for UFA's. It's one thing to offer them the cash, but they get to pick also. Basically every GM makes mistakes. They are trying to predict the future performance of athletes in a violent sport. But the NYR, Chicago Blackhawks of the world can offset some mistakes w/ a nice UFA or two.

Yes, Raleigh is a nice place to live and raise a family, but we are not a major market, we don't sell out every night, and we haven't won in a while.

So....Francis really can only build through trades and the draft. But the draft takes years of high picking to build a team, and if you can't draw at least a few key UFA's, you are Edmonton.

So...that means trades. But looking at the guys we would want to move, they have salaries out of proportion to their recent performances, thus no where near their potential value.

Thus the decision for Francis this year is this: are guys like E. and Ward and Semin and Jordan lost causes? Are they basically through being top players forever and ever, amen? Because the offered return on these guys has been not just low, but ridiculously low (from rumors at least). I think there is NO doubt that the odds that some or most or even all of those guys bounce back is better than the odds of a one sided salary dump trade working out.

Now if this team gets out of the blocks badly, there will be little choice, but I guess be careful what you ask for...sure it can be done right, but it will almost assuredly have to involve stockpiling draft picks and unless you are drafting top 5-7 every year these guys are going to take 3-4 years each to be serious contributors. If we have to go there I get it, and if done right it could be great, but it will almost assuredly take at least 2-3 years to get competitive if we go that way.

As much as we like to put it on E., and I'm right there with that, take him away? Whoooboy are we bad. Despite arguably his worst year ever his rank in points on our team? Number 1. Getting bad return on him would be two mid rangers, or one and a draft pick. The phrase two 3rd graders do not equal one 6th grader comes to mind. Again, take E. off this team and we are top pick bad.

Bottom line, Francis made the right call. It is not terribly exciting for us fans, but it could work, and if it doesn't at least the bad deal that follows will be attached to a widely agreed upon sense of, "yes, but what choice did we have?".

Clearly it is better for everyone if it works at least a little. If this team, as is, surprises, but still doesn't go deep into the playoffs, at least a couple of guys can be traded for much more value.

Edited by remkin

Okay, we now know danimal is Peter Karmanos' board name :thumbsup2:

Nope, I just choose to not follow the negative band wagon.   anyone who thinks that because we have "almost the same team as last year" than we are gonna finish the same obviously only looks at the outer layer on paper and not all of the deeper things that can make this a much better year.   I think RF knows what I'm talking about.

Well the negative bandwagon as you define it is currently almost 60% (i.e. 12) of the total votes, so obviously you are in the minority.  But really, maybe not.

I think most that voted in that 60% in this poll have been the same folks that have concerns but recognize why the team could surprise, like you said.

That pretty much sums up the boards opinion in July from what I read around here.

Edited by coastal_caniac

While I think we didn't do bad, we didn't do that great either. It's a wash in my opinion, with the big factor on whether or not we miraculously rebound being Peters and the new coaching staff. And on RF making any deals that could push this team over the hump, should we play ourselves into a position where that is feasible. 

Most nights in the NHL you have to net 3 to 4 goals to win.. That takes offense and leadership, none of which was added to our group during the off season. Not wanting to be in the negative group, but just cant get excited over new bench bosses when the same ole staaled offense.  MHO.. (if possible) would have boxed up Ward, E, Lindholm for a new leader trade and started the rebuild under the new coach.. Realize all the NTC's, but my point is this team needs a new face/leader..IM not sure this group as a whole likes one another.....

Edited by PamlicoPuck

I do think that this group should be able to put up enough goals. That was part of why I was so surprised w/ last year. A decent part of that was the anemic PP, but if Peters can get this group to where they should be on paper the goals will be there.

If you trade E. you better get some offense back or you're looking at even fewer goals.

Can't agree w/ trading Linholm. Watch this kid this year and next. The only way the Canes get a guy like that is drafting him. Trading him now? :shock: .

I get the general sentiment though, and if there were a team that wanted to make an honest hockey trade for E. that didn't just try to value him off one bad year and would give value for him and Ward, I think Francis would have done it.

Edited by remkin

When you look at a team with EStaal, JStaal, Semin, Skinner, and Tlusty (possibly) you see a team with some really high end talent that should be able to light the lamp. Too bad the game is played on ice and not on paper.

I do think that this group should be able to put up enough goals. That was part of why I was so surprised w/ last year. A decent part of that was the anemic PP, but if Peters can get this group to where they should be on paper the goals will be there.

If you trade E. you better get some offense back or you're looking at even fewer goals.

Can't agree w/ trading Linholm. Watch this kid this year and next. The only way the Canes get a guy like that is drafting him. Trading him now? :shock: .

I get the general sentiment though, and if there were a team that wanted to make an honest hockey trade for E. that didn't just try to value him off one bad year and would give value for him and Ward, I think Francis would have done it.

Well, E.Staal only cracked 20 goals because the Flyers put in a AHL goalie on the last game of the season(and who they haven't resigned).  And most other teams pay their 60 point guys 4.5-5.5million per year.

Well, E.Staal only cracked 20 goals because the Flyers put in a AHL goalie on the last game of the season(and who they haven't resigned).  And most other teams pay their 60 point guys 4.5-5.5million per year.

I agree he had a bad year and wasn't worth the money last year, but it was one year, and take away his 60 plus points and it is a lot worse.

Just one year prior he put up 1.10 ppg on a 30G/90 point pace.

I was as dissappointed w/ E. as anyone last year, but I just can't see trading him off his worst year the year of a major knee injury for poor return. If indeed he isn't the guy to lead the team, at least let him put up some numbers and get some value for a trade.

I get the gut feeling that E. is going to be super motivated this year and end up closer to 90 points than 60, but until he shows it, we don't know.

Edited by remkin