The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
weehawk

Off-Season Poll

Off-Season Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canes off-season as of August

• Love it! Best in years. SC here we come.
    • Pretty good. We now look better on paper than we did last year.
    • Not bad. Basically the same team as last year.
    • Not great. We lost more than we gained.
    • A disaster! We're on no one's list of potential playoff teams and all the impact players are gone.

I agree he had a bad year and wasn't worth the money last year, but it was one year, and take away his 60 plus points and it is a lot worse.

Just one year prior he put up 1.10 ppg on a 30G/90 point pace.

I was as dissappointed w/ E. as anyone last year, but I just can't see trading him off his worst year the year of a major knee injury for poor return. If indeed he isn't the guy to lead the team, at least let him put up some numbers and get some value for a trade.

I get the gut feeling that E. is going to be super motivated this year and end up closer to 90 points than 60, but until he shows it, we don't know.

If he can, and can keep his points higher than his PIM, I will cheer him. If not, he might wanna put his house on the market in April 2016.

Does E. make players around him better and do you want to build the team around? Does the rest of the team trust him as the leader, the kind of player who can put the team on his back when needed? Of course we dont know how the players feel, and putting aside contract politics for the sake of spouting off at the mouth. The excuse file is full, and why endure another 500 avg/10 point shy of a play off spot to pick 7 or 8 in the draft??? why not rebuild it now, trade what you have to, to get the new leader, pick number 1 and start a new chapter now.. rather than later.... 

Not on a E. witch hunt here, id so LOVE to be wrong and eat a ton of crow... but I seldom see a real fire in the guy

I guess this year will tell. I get the problems, but if he puts up 80-90 points and the team wins everything else will fade away. I fully agree on the stupid penalties, in fact that will be something to watch. If he cuts those down, it will be a good sign.

If the team plays to their potential under Francis we have a playoff team.  If they still have the same mentality and comfort level of the previous few seasons, we're going to get another top 10 draft pick.

That's all I have to say about that.

The phrase "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" comes to mind.

More like hiring a new captain for the Titanic right before its about to hit the iceberg!

I think Peters is a good choice, but don't see us making the playoffs, no matter who is at the helm!

I guess I'll put it here since it is about next year.

Just a cursory look at our schedule really doesn't look as awful this year. I've pointed out before that, while last year's opening dozen was a gauntlet, this year's opening 15 games is much kinder. We do have an early road trip including Madison Square Garden followed by a 4 game west coast trip. BUT it is the kinder, gentler part of the West coast (WPG, CGY, EDM, VAN) and we have 4 days to get ready for it. Edmonton rested to our back to back, but Vancouver has a real shot to be beatable this year. We also get the champs at home on the back end of a back to back while they are waiting for us, so that's not great, but.....

Well I would say that a good not great team could come out of that first 15 games 9-6. Maybe throw a couple of OT losses in there, and go 9-4-2. I'm not predicting this at all, but we get our longest west coast trip out of the way and hopefully at least have a winning record.

The end of the year is also favorable, though not the very end.

If we are in the running at least near the cut line on February 15. We would be set up to make a push. Ottawa on the road, then NYI at home starts a 15-5 home to road stretch, mostly vs. beatable teams (Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh all at home will be tough, but that still leaves 12-5 home if we take those out). Now the last 7 are 5/7 on the road admittedly, and they are bunched at the very end in a not nice way. 

We are always a team that gets slapped on back to backs, and this year is no different. 16 back to backs puts us in the top 10 in this category, but this year there are a few fewer than last year (20), but mainly they are kinder and gentler this year. What do I mean?

1. Back to back only really matters if the other team is rested.  Of the 16 B to B this year, only 6 are vs rested teams. 

2. It is considered much worse to have that back end at home. In essence wastes a home game. Again only applies if the other team is rested. That only happens twice. (two times we end a b2b at home, but the other team also played the night before).

3. It is considered even worse to travel back to home for a b2b or a waited, rested team. That happens that does not happen. Not once. In fact of all b2b's with a away/home or home/away, only once do we return home for a b2b and that one (SJ) the other team played the night before also. 

The other killer is bunches, the worst being game, off, b2b, but basically 3 in 4 nights. We do have 8 of those, unfortunately one in the last 5 games. With that snow out situation, I think that is similar to last year, maybe one more.

Of course the team that shows up is more important than the schedule, but somehow this one seems a bit better, until the last 7,