The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

Its August with little going on so I thought maybe a place we can follow some of our former Canes and see what they are up to.

Leights has signed a 1 year contract with the Blackhawks. Its expected he will play most of the season with AHL Rockford unless there is an injury with the big club.

Leighton signs contract

I always liked Leights and wish him well.  A LaRose break away against Leighton would be perfect.

T-Kabs wants back in the NHL

ProHockeyTalk

"he hopes to return to the NHL for a year (or maybe more) and that he might even have a tryout offer lined up. “It’s not in Ontario,”

The better news...Its not with Carolina either

I didn't  see that one coming.Let's see what he can do. It wouldn't be the first time a player excels once leaving the Canes!! LOL

Its only a tryout. He will need to prove he can stick but your right, it wouldn't be the first time a former Cane excelled once leaving Raleigh.  Bowman has always been a bit of a mystery. He has that wicked wrist shot but hardly ever used it. Maybe he was concentrating on the defensive side of the game. I don't know but it sure didn't work out for him.

I wish him well.

I read an article that said Bret Hedican will be with the Sharks radio group, I'll have to tune in sometime. Last time I heard anything about Bret was that he wanted a one day contract to retire as a Hurricane but JR turned him down. Does anyone know why?

Edited by winger52

From Sportsnet

Jamie McBain will attend Arizona Coyotes training camp on a tryout basis

Ray Whitney is contemplating retirement

According to NBC Sports the KHL Medvescak Zagreb has signed Aaron Palushaj. NBC Sports

Palushaj, 25, has appeared in 68 career NHL contests with the Hurricanes, Canadiens and Avalanche. He’s had a couple of decent big-league stints — including one where he scored nine points in 25 games for Colorado during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign

Pulushai joins Anthony Stewart another former Cane skating with Medvescak Zagreb

I think I heard Mike Komisarek is getting a PTO w/ New Jersey. 

Yep.

meanwhile, Justin Williams has trouble holding his hand up due to the weight of his 3 Stanley Cup rings.

Yep.

meanwhile, Justin Williams has trouble holding his hand up due to the weight of his 3 Stanley Cup rings.

Yeah, and his Conn Smythe trophy.

Are those two notes related?  I mean... if so, I wouldn't blame Ray.

Jamie McBain will attend Arizona Coyotes training camp on a tryout basis

Ray Whitney is contemplating retirement

Are those two notes related?  I mean... if so, I wouldn't blame Ray.

That is pretty funny.

On a personal twist, those were two examples of one I got right and one I got wrong. Right: Jamie "own goal" McBain and a pick for Sekera was the steal of a century and McBain might not be long for the league. Wrong: Whitney when he left here was too old. Ooops.

Edited by remkin

I was really upset about letting Ray go.  The guy totally lived up to his nickname of 'the Wizard'.  I felt like he wasn't showing any signs of slowing down at the time and so I suppose that makes me one of those 'I told you so' guys.

McBain, well, he had so much promise... I don't know what happened, but I hope he is learning Russian in his spare time.

Looks like Komi is done in Jersey

Pro Hockey Talk - Defenseman Mike Komisarek was released by the club during its’ latest round of cuts.