The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Once they were Canes

Look who's heating up and leading their team in points with 10 (5 and 5) and +/- with 8...

Last 4 games for Jeff Skinner:

G    A    P   +/-  PIM  PPG  SHG  S  Shifts   TOI
MTL    OCT 25    0    3    3    0      0      0       0       2    22    18:04
ANA    OCT 21    1    0    1    1      0      0       0       6    22    20:33
LAK    OCT 20    3    0    3    4      2      0       0       3    23    15:31
SJS    OCT 18    0    1    1    1      0      0       0       1    20    17:39

26 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

Look who's heating up and leading their team in points with 10 (5 and 5) and +/- with 8...

I think this belongs in the Once they were canes thread.  Can we move it..... like we did with him?

10 minutes ago, cc said:

I think this belongs in the Once they were canes thread.  Can we move it..... like we did with him?

You'll only get ? in a move involving him!!!

Up to Date stats:

Ward-     3 Wins, 1 Losses, 4.23GAA, .885% SAVE%
Lindholm- 6g, 3a, 9pts,  -3
Ryan-      1g, 1a, 2pts,   0
Hanifin-   0g, 2a, 2pts,   0
Skinner-  5g, 5a, 10pts, +8
Staal-     2g, 3a, 5pts,  -2

Some quotes from Sabres fans in a thread on Buffalo's early success this season:

• I feel like this streak is at least 60% the direct result of Jeff Skinner and if/when he cools down the team will cool down with him.
  • Skinner is an absolute gem of a player. It's not just his crazy skill - he competes like hell every shift.
  • He's so much better than I thought.  He has wheels, the ability to score and a motor to keep competing.  The last player to have those three things was Briere.

Good on Skinner.  We saw that from him at times in Carolina, here's hoping he can can keep it up for most of the season (except against the Canes). 

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Some quotes from Sabres fans in a thread on Buffalo's early success this season:

• I feel like this streak is at least 60% the direct result of Jeff Skinner and if/when he cools down the team will cool down with him.
  • Skinner is an absolute gem of a player. It's not just his crazy skill - he competes like hell every shift.
  • He's so much better than I thought.  He has wheels, the ability to score and a motor to keep competing.  The last player to have those three things was Briere.

Good on Skinner.  We saw that from him at times in Carolina, here's hoping he can can keep it up for most of the season (except against the Canes). 

I still blame every bit of his cooldown here on first, his concussions, and second, his ridiculous linemates,  By far one of the most-talented players this franchise has ever had.  Obviously things happened in the room or somewhere over the past couple seasons to make him unwanted here, but put him out there now instead of PDG/rotating Checker, yowsa.  Sabres got themselves a player.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MassCaniac said:

No surprise from me. He's currently at a PPG. I expected a big year out of him in a contract year. Back on the first line where he belongs in Buffalo.

I will probably always lament the return on Skinner. If Cliff Pu becomes the next Warren Foegele, and that second or third rounder become the next Pesce or Slavin, then I'll recant, but for a full year and playoffs of Skinner we should have gotten a first rounder IMO, especially from a team that had a few of them. 

That said, it, like the Lindholm-Hanifin move, might have been one of those "best for everyone" situations. The way this team is playing now is amazing. The brass thought Skinner would stand in the way of that (my read, but pretty obvious). There is no way to tell if that's true, but we are flying. No Canes coach was able to make Skinner work on the first line. Maybe that's on them, but it was time to let him go. Further, long term, it seems that this team did not plan on paying Skinner for a new contract, so it would have been one and done. Mainly though, the bad habits returned last year and Brind'Amour wanted none of it. So far so good on that as the team is developing lots of good new habits. 

Skinner almost certainly needed a new start, and clearly has made the most of it (so far). Good for him. 

I do think though, that the loss of that much talent argues for making the D for O move at some point. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I still blame every bit of his cooldown here on first, his concussions, and second, his ridiculous linemates,  By far one of the most-talented players this franchise has ever had.  Obviously things happened in the room or somewhere over the past couple seasons to make him unwanted here, but put him out there now instead of PDG/rotating Checker, yowsa.  Sabres got themselves a player.

Yeah,he needed to be put  with better line mates or if they wanted to keep him on the third line put him with Svech and magic would happen.

• Like 1

We had zero leverage with the Skinner deal.  Skinner had all the leverage with the full NTC.  The places he would accept either had too little salary room short and/or long term or were offering little. 

Blame JR and his awful GMing on the fact we didn’t get a much better return.

23 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We had zero leverage with the Skinner deal.  Skinner had all the leverage with the full NTC.  The places he would accept either had too little salary room short and/or long term or were offering little. 

Blame JR and his awful GMing on the fact we didn’t get a much better return.

While it's true that Skinner had the leverage, the Committee pulled the trigger really early for that return imo.  Now, that may have been in the Canes best interest from the perspective of moving on and setting team chemistry for the season, we'll never know.  But I've got to believe that the Canes could have gotten a better return if they had waited a bit.  It's not like the Sabres gave up anything that affected their lineup or wouldn't have been there later. 

• Like 3

Patrick Eaves returned to the Ducks lineup after being sideline  over a year with a post-viral syndrome

On 10/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, LakeLivin said:

The difference between our Skinner and Buffalo’s Skinner I think is that he’s on a line with legitimate NHLers and the team is allowing him to play his game.

Another two goals last night, now at 16 games: 11G/7A/18P and +11. Amazing how much better you can be defensively when not playing with a bunch of fringe NHL guys or AHL fill ins. Something that people may recall is his +/- as a rookie was actually plus, and the years he had somewhat better linemates was a small minus. I wish we would’ve put him with better players instead of saying we couldn’t because he was a defensive liability.

• Like 2

Peters tried to turn Skinner into Derek Ryan.

The whole thing with Skinner is a massive Pu-fest.  While he never said a word that I'm aware of, he had to hate the way he was handled and/or the direction his career took in Raleigh.  With that in mind, I imagine that he had no interest in negotiating a contract extension prior to seeing what free agency would bring.  The NTC (thanks JR) put the management team between a rock and a hard place. 

disclaimer:  I'm not against NTC's, but those should be reserved for older, veteran players, and not guys that are still RFA's.

10 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Peters tried to turn Skinner into Derek Ryan.

The whole thing with Skinner is a massive Pu-fest.  While he never said a word that I'm aware of, he had to hate the way he was handled and/or the direction his career took in Raleigh.  With that in mind, I imagine that he had no interest in negotiating a contract extension prior to seeing what free agency would bring.  The NTC (thanks JR) put the management team between a rock and a hard place. 

disclaimer:  I'm not against NTC's, but those should be reserved for older, veteran players, and not guys that are still RFA's.

And Ryan is tearing it up this year with 1 goal and 3pts in 17 games.

The committee quite successfully screwed up every way possible with the Skinner trade. Made Buffalo a contender, single handedly put Buffalo ahead of us in standings, traded the goal scorer we now need and all this for the most unfortunate player's last name to summize the entire situation.

If Buffalo beats us out, the committee deserves whatever 'Screw you' chant they got coming from whatever's left of the fanbase.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

The thing is, they are. You must have seven years of accrued NHL play to qualify for an NTC, which is why Skinner's only kicked in - wait for it - LAST SEASON. 

Rod was on the coaching staff then, but wasn't HC. 

And remember, BP liked Skinner for Captain.

Given these facts, which is more plausible: BP tried to turn Skinner into D Ryan? Or RBA, as offense coach, did--given the line mates he got, and that Skinner was moved when Rod became HC?

I'd wager that before last season began, BP told his assistant, Rod, "We now have two consecutive career years worth of proof that Skinner belongs here, whether you like him personally or not--so zip it." And that the line Rod put him on, and ultimately moving him for - well, not magic beans, not even resin, bong water is more like it - was Rod thumbing his serpentine nose at both of them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, OBXer said:

Blah blah JR extended...

I hope there's a place in hockey hell for the condition he left us in...and I sincerely hope he does worse to the Evil Empire.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sources saying Skinner wants 8 years 9-9.5 million from going to FA.  :blink::coollaugh:

Yea right!.  He'll get his 9 million then go back to playing like the Skinner we know.  Glad we arent going to be strapped with that.

Commented on another thread, but completely agree. And he'll get a NTC clause too, I almost guarantee it.