The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

I'm still a bit bummed that we let Malhotra go, especially with our current youth movement.

----------------------------------

Manny Malhotra providing key leadership for young Canadiens

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32843/manny-malhotra-providing-key-leadership-for-young-canadiens

excerpts:

Chalk another one up for the veteran center, whose addition July 1 might end up paying way more dividends for the Canadiens than people first bargained.  For starters, Malhotra is among the league's top faceoff men, which will improve the team's defensive-zone start numbers. Through five games, he's won 65 percent of his faceoffs. But his impact might be just as important off the ice, where he's already made himself one of the most vocal leaders on the team despite being a newcomer.

"Right from the first preseason game, he was a guy that was stepping up, and you could tell right away he was a vocal leader," Habs winger Brendan Gallagher told ESPN.com after Montreal's 6-4 win over the Bruins on Thursday night.  "And obviously being able to play the way he does, that helps. He's a great guy, he's not shy to come up to you and give you pointers. So far he's been great for me."

It was similar to a comment star goalie Carey Price made last week when asked who was speaking up in the room before the game and between periods with the departure of vocal leader Josh Gorges and captain Brian Gionta in the offseason.  "Manny Malhotra," Price said, without any hesitation.

From ESPN insider:

Twenty months (and counting) after playing his last regular-season National Hockey League game. Tomas Kaberle is looking to make a comeback.   What’s more intriguing is the 36-year-old defenseman may actually have a shot at earning an NHL roster spot.

With three blue-line regulars out injured or suspended (and that's assuming Kevin Klein returns to the lineup in short order) the New York Rangers have extended Kaberle a tryout invite.

At this premature stage, how this audition will unfold is anybody's guess, but the Rangers wouldn't bother extending the invitation if there wasn't some sense of possibility of a contract. Even once John Moore returns from suspension, the absences of Ryan McDonagh and Dan Boyle loom large. Dylan McIlrath -- universally acknowledged as a poor skater by NHL standards -- and Conor Allen haven't been consistently good enough since being called up, not for a team that considers itself a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. What happens if Dan Girardi or Marc Staal -- who are shouldering the lion's share of minutes these days -- gets hurt? Who does coach Alain Vigneault rely on to carry a heftier share? Allen? Fellow AHL regular Mike Kostka? And while McDonagh isn't due back for another three weeks or so, we remain unsure of when Boyle will be good to go following a broken hand.

Which brings us back to Kaberle. If the defenseman hasn’t lost too much of a step, his veteran presence could serve the Rangers well in their time of need. It’s a huge "if," of course, but such potential reincarnations can't be dismissed outright. Remember Petr Sykora three years ago? After a disastrously short stint with the Minnesota Wild (2009-10) and a ho-hum season in Europe (2010-11), Sykora attempted an NHL comeback via training camp tryout with the New Jersey Devils. Ballyhooed as washed-up and over the hill, the then 34-year-old forward wasn't given much of a chance. Sykora not only made the team, he notched 44 points in a full, 82-game season. Not bad for a player dubbed a "long shot" in the summer. (Coincidentally, Kaberle had a tryout with the Devils this preseason).

So if Kaberle is able to earn a contract with the Rangers, he might prove useful -- if only in spurts -- as a freebie fantasy addition. Presuming the former longtime Toronto Maple Leaf hasn't quietly re-invented himself as a stay-at-home defenseman, the Rangers would look to exploit his puck-moving talents first and foremost. Remember, this is a guy who averaged 0.57 points per regular-season game during a 14-campaign career (984 contests), and a role with the power play in New York could prove rewarding. Also, this attempted homecoming isn't arriving out of nowhere. Kaberle wasn't terrible in two recent preseason games with the Devils and reportedly nearly made the club. Unless your fantasy roster is stacked with productive D-men, this situation is worth monitoring.

Edited by LakeLivin

This has to be a joke. It's not April first, you didn't find that in the Onion....I just don't get it. :letssee: .

What am I missing?

Kaberle had some good years, but there were a few bad ones followed by out of the league....nope, still don't get it.

This has to be a joke. It's not April first, you didn't find that in the Onion....I just don't get it. :letssee: .

What am I missing?

Kaberle had some good years, but there were a few bad ones followed by out of the league....nope, still don't get it.

Based on desperation and maybe something they saw at the Olympics?  And it's just a tryout; Remember DiPietro last season. :jester:

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm guessing maybe not. Seems like they'd do a physical before issuing a try out invitation, although I don't know for sure. . . Maybe they want to sign him as trade bait for Montreal? :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Interesting he had 1G 2A +2 in 5 games apparently, I mean stats don't paint the whole picture but that sounds like he was somewhat productive.

Kings head coach Darryl Sutter on McBain:

“There’s a lot to go over with him. It’s way different coming to this conference. The pace of play is way different,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “He hasn’t played on a good team. Big difference. Good kid, good skill set. The next part is the game.”

Hmm . . . losing to a bad team must have made the Nov. 2nd loss even that much more painful, huh Darryl? :boxing:

Looks like a 2-way contract, $550k NHL, AHL not reported yet.

Edited by LakeLivin

Capgeek reports that McBain gets $100k at the AHL level.  And I read that the Kings are so cap strapped they had to wait until some salary cleared before they could even sign McBain at the league minimum $550k.  I'm guessing the pool of unsigned, experienced, minimum salary D-men is pretty small . . .

Let me see if I got this right.

The two teams that just played for Lord Stanely's cup have either signed or sniffed around two defenseman we have long ago rejected? 

These are strange time indeed.

Let me see if I got this right.

The two teams that just played for Lord Stanely's cup have either signed or sniffed around two defenseman we have long ago rejected? 

These are strange time indeed.

Desperation makes strange bedfellows.

Now this would have been fun

Retired NHL G Arturs Irbe suits up as Sabres' emergency backup

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco 
New backup goalie in the NHL tonight. Arturs Irbe, the Sabres goaltending coach is Jonas Enroth's understudy tonight

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Irbe: I was ready to go if needed. I was focused. It's a snow day, Latvian Independence Day, a big day.

That Buffalo game last night was ugly. 70 inches of snow, Sabres Patrick Kaleta got stuck in his own home.

Would have loved to have seen Irbe play a couple shifts last night. Strange that the Sabres have beaten the Sharks 8 games in a row.

Gotta love the parity.

That led Buffalo to make the unusual move of signing their goalie coach, Arturs Irbe, to a tryout contract.

Irbe, a former NHL goalie, suited up in time for the third period.

"It's a snow day," Irbe said with a laugh, noting he hasn't played professionally in seven years. "I obviously didn't want Jhonny to get hurt or something bad to happen. But if I would go in, I would have fun."

Gotta love him! He was my favorite Canes goalie.

Edited by hopper915

I think Legace was my favorite but Irbe ranks right up there. I'm not talking best, I'm talking favorite. I would of loved to see Irbe get a chance to play to a chant of Irbe,Irbe,Irbe.

I guess some things are best left alone but it sure would of been fun.

Didnt want to create a separate thread for this, and technically he was a brief Cane.

Jack Johnson apparently just filed for bankruptcy due to his parents spending all his money. He's made $18million over his career and is owed $20million more.

Two words for him, ha ha!

I know the kid snubbed the Canes some way, but after reading this, I really, really feel bad for him.  Seriously.

There was a lot of trust here that was broken.  I think it was more than no experience, but rather entitlement by some parties involved.

Let me summarize a few lessons I take from the article for those who didn't read it:

- Never hire family or friends for financial matters.  Best to hire an outside fiduciary.

- Never, ever, ever, give someone a blanket power of attorney.

- Hire lawyers to check your other lawyers.

- In this world of sub 5% interest rates, you shouldn't be paying 12% or (wow) 24%.  Nope.

Here's the article on Jack.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/20/blind-sided.html

Sad, really. He fired his agent, and turned everything over to his parents, who had no experience in these matters.

It wasn't just that his parents had no experience, apparently they were dishonest, greedy, sobs who were spending money on themselves that they hid from Johnson.

That much money and he can't take the time to take some finance and economics classes in the off season?

Given that he obviously had complete trust in his parents and no idea they would essentially rip him off, why would he?  Unfortunately his trust was misplaced . . .

Not only did the arrangement lose him his $$$, it also cost him his family.  Understandably, he severed ties to his parents.

Edited by LakeLivin

Pitkanen is skating again. Article (in Finnish):

http://www.kaleva.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko/milta-paluu-luistimille-on-tuntunut-pitkan-tauon-jalkeen-joni-pitkanen/683842/

Basically, through Google translate, he's been skating a few times a week with Karpat. While he still has a ways to go, his goal is to return to playing at the highest level.